Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn this is bad. I was shoveling snow last nite after we got hit with about 12inches of snow to make it easier for me to leave in the morning. Thank god I did. It took me almost 15 minutes to get out. Then on my way to Queens today I was near 88th avenue and I got stuck in slush....lol. I didnt even dare to go down the block for fear I would get stuck forever soooooooo I left her on the avenue and walked down. To make matters worse I tried to get tires today and they are closed. Anyone have any suggestions for tires? I have the 17inch rims. Hey Rarjoon give me hand...push me out!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Man, that's suicide. Keep your IS parked until you get some snow tires. I picked up my IS last week Saturday. The dealership installed a set of Dunlop Snowsport M2 snow tires (225-45/17) on the stock 17-inch rims. I figure I'll use this set-up until next season. Over the summer, I'll save up for an inexpensive set of 17-inch rims that I'll use during the winter.

We had that huge snow storm hit us before it moved on to you guys... my IS was completely fine and handled wonderfully even with eight inches of powder on the ground. It's dirtier than ****, but it handled fine.

Good luck...

Scott.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Triz - I hear you Man!! I shoveled out my driveway and got stuck in the middle of the road.. This shiznit sucks man! These tires are WACK! I have friends with z rated summer tires and they are doing fine in the snow! I lowered the pressure a bit to 28Lbs in the rear and put two 80lbs bags of quickrete concrete mix in the trunk in garbage bags to hold weight in the rear and for traction. It seems to work but i not drivin no where! I will wait for spring.. Im gonna go buy a 92-94 Landcrusier as soon as i get a nice one. This IS is not made for snow.

PS.. Do you get a clicking from the rear when you are in SNOW or TRACTION MODE when the tires are sliding.. it sound like CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK! No now what I'm talking about? Is that what suppose to happen?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
"This IS is not made for snow."

...On the contrary, it's perfect for snow. I love it. It isn't the car. It's your tires. Your dealership should have told you that when you purchased the vehicle. Mine did. I wouldn't have even picked up the car if I didn't have the snow tires on when I drove away.

Get the snow tires. You'll be fine. I drove in an EIGHT TO TEN INCH BASE OF POWDER two days ago. My IS handled wonderfully. I didn't spin out. I didn't get stuck anywhere. I didn't need any fat friends to come along and push me out of my garage or parking stall. It was fine. Why? Not because my IS is better or my car is different. It's because I HAVE SNOW TIRES!

How many more times are we going to see posts cutting down the IS has a ****ty winter vehicle because people are dumb or lazy enough to use the SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES during the winter??? You spent $30K - $35K for the car. Now spend some extra money and get the right tires for it!

'nuff said...

Scott.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I guess you gonna keep seeing our Dumbasses cutting down the IS... cuz we are some broke azz niggaz here in NY now! I dont have another $1200 to spend on rims and tires. So just deal with our complaints!

Second.. the car does suck in the snow! I had a RX7 and it used to bulldoze snow on 17" Dunlop 8000's. (GOD BLESS THE ROTARY) So what your point? We not cruisin out in the country like you guys? You think NY is easy to manuever in snow storms? Come try it. They dont move snow off roads here... it has to be worn away in storms like this. WHY? cause there's no where to put it!

Lastly.. I dont think you seen as many cars in your area on the road as we do in the NY/NJ area. So if we in NY/NJ area need to vent. get a life and stop sweating us!

Rich.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Rich:

You don't have to spend $1,200.00 on rims and tires. You certainly could if you wanted to but you don't have to. For the time being, I bought a set of Dunlop snow tires for $500.00 You can have them installedon your stock 17's for another $50 or so.

And sit there and tell me that driving in snow in NY is different than driving in snow in MN. Is your snow heavier? Is there an added ingredient that makes it especially difficult to drive it. No, I don't think so. The same storm that hit you guys yesterday is the exact same storm that hit us two days ago. I drove my IS in downtown Minneapolis and my IS handled fine. If you can't afford snow tires then you can't afford the car. So I suggest selling it and buying back your Mazda RX-7.
Since you obviously feel it's so much more superior to your IS.

Have fun and try not to get stuck anymore with those nice 17-inch SUMMER performance tires.
Good luck...

Scott.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
"I guess you gonna keep seeing our Dumbasses cutting down the IS"

Ummmm... okay. Then why did you buy it? *LOL*

Scott.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that sound is the snow traction button....all I heard was prrrr...prrrr...prrrr...prrrr...all the way here.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Zoku, It will cost me bout 1200 to get snow tires no matter what i try. right now I got the Chrome 17's I will need to buy either 16 in rims and snow tires or 17 inch aluminum rims and snow tires.

Rims will cost me bout $600 and tires $400-$600 plus taxes and mounting and all that other pricy stuff. I was looking at the Dunlop WinterSport M2 from Tire Rack. They are roughly $100 for 16z and 140 for 17z.

So either way it gonna cost. I wish it didn't but it will.

Oh yeah, They do add all kindz of shiznit to the snow here in NYC. The gov't just dont tell no one. but I figured it out. It probably plutonium laced or som'n. It's sure not white and powdery.

Why did I buy this IS300? -- I heard it was suppose to be some supercar from Japan. I also thought it had a fresh new look. unlike the BMW's So i figured hey what the heck.

If i could buy my RX7-T2 back I would .. no more garage space
I know in my heart that BMW or Lexus could never build a tuned car to top a tuned Rx7, with maybe the exception of $wift-Racing. But thats just my humble opinion.

TRIZ...
That traction thing is freakin me out it sounds like I'm grinding my axles? Is that normal? (prr prr prr prr)
It's really weird.

You know a good spot in NYC where I can pick up rims and Snow Tires? I was gonna go check out Jay at Eastern AutoSports?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Zoku, and NYers!
I don't dare to dig my IS out to drive around on snow.. becuse i don't have sonw tires.
Zoku, Where did you ordored a set of Dunlop snow tires for $500.00? can you provide more info, thanks!
Or anyone know where to get reasonable price, and good snow tires??

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm looking around right now.. This car is ridiculous in Snow and rain. I am gonna check out FUNSA TIRE in Brooklyn this week. Or GANIN Tire in Hempstead Ave. in Long Island.

·
Registered
260 Posts
rarjoon,
Please post more info when you get your snow tires.
i just want to get the cheapest snow tires as possible(put them on with stock rims), since i only use the car during the weekends.
i think $500 is reasonable for me now.. i am broke..
by the way, i saw this C320 in Radio City for display for $40,000, it's very nice, i am trying to get a catalog from their website now, but i don't see it...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thats cool... But my First Choice was a CLK430 Cabrio with the Sports Package. Too bad the insurance quote on it made me get the IS300

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
That clicking sound is the brakes being applied to stop your wheels from spinning, by the traction control.

Originally posted by rarjoon:
PS.. Do you get a clicking from the rear when you are in SNOW or TRACTION MODE when the tires are sliding.. it sound like CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK! No now what I'm talking about? Is that what suppose to happen?[/B]

·
Registered
241 Posts
That storm must really suck, its 75, sunny, and clear over here in L.A. The air and traffic is really bad though...

------------------
PEARL/BLK

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I don't quite see how snow tires is costing everyone an arm and a leg... provided they have them in stock, you can order a set of Dunlops from The Tire Rack for $103 ea. I believe these are the Dunlop Graspic. You can purchase the Dunlop Snowsport M2's for a bit more... I called about the Graspics and delivered to MN, the cost was $447 and this included shipping.

Seems like a good price to me in order to prevent your IS from getting stuck in the snow. But do what you want. *shrug*

Scott.

·
Registered
260 Posts
triz,
Did you attended Marc Anthony's concert? i just got back from there, was so awesome!! that crowd went crazy!!
by the way, i am not Puerto Rican..

1 - 20 of 64 Posts