Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my fellow IS300 owners in NY metro area:

My car was damaged along the length of the left side, from the left panel behind the front bumper to the left side of the rear bumper. It is mostly deep scratches and (a lot of bumper rubber that I managed to rub/peel off) and moderate dents to the rear door panel and rear bumper panel. The damage requires mostly hammering out the dents and painting, with the exception of having to replace the rear left side marker light that is on the bumper.

I've gotten two estimates, $1000 and $1400, and I'd rather pay an extra $400 if that meant that they would do a professional job (for myself as well as since is a leased car, and Lexus might charge me if it shows signs of an accident/has unrepaired damage). Unfortunately, the shops were not referrals, and I don't really know the quality of their work. I have considered going to Lexus of Greenwich (where I bought it, and not too far), unlike some dealerships who outsource Greenwich has their own body shop, but I know it will be expensive.

Cost is an important factor because I am not choosing not to through insurance, even at a cost of $1400 to repair it, because my situation is rather complicated.

My 2 questions, (Finally
), are -

Can anyone recommend any quality/ professional body shops in the NYC metro area who will do it at a fair price (or fairly cheaply, w/o sacrificing quality)?

AND

How can you tell if a body shop does quality work?

(I have a few rough ideas...checking out the cars they have fixed, they presence of certain machines/fixtures like the enclosure where they bake the painted parts(?), the general condition of the shop, whether the owner/employees seem drunk
, etc.)

Please comment/elaborate on these ideas as well as let me know your ideas.

I am trying to keep a positive view of this, in spite of everything, (I am watching ABC documentary program on the Sierra Leone massacres/amputations, that is a horrific and tragic situation), I feel a bit spoiled and guilty now...

but I still would like any advice or suggestions,

Thanks,

Mike

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: GSXR600 ]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Try calling Finest Auto Body. The do quality work. They are a little pricey, but check it out yourself. They may be cheaper than the other places. 718-931-1752 3111 East Tremont Ave BX. FYI. They do work on Mercedes,Porshe, Ferrari, and I have seen a couple of Vipers waiting in the service area.

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: Taino ]

·
Registered
653 Posts
Check out Lofeys Body Shop. I just had my car done there after my car was hit. Lexus of Englewood takes there cars there. Just go thru him direct, do not call Lexus. So he can "help" you with your deductible. The address is 1481 Jerome avenue located on 171st and Jerome Avenue. The phone number is (718)588-4757. Lexus of Englewood takes there cars there. And I took mine there after a recent acident. I guarantee the car will come out like new. The owners name is Paul. They specialize in Lexus and Mercedes.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Call Eastern AutoSports 718-461-5483 ask for Jay or Rien. The got a FANTASTIC Shop that does all their bodywork.

It's T&S AutoBody on 3rd Ave and 53rd St in BK.

They did a fantastic job for me a earlier this year!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I deal with Lexus of Greenwhich body shop. They are great. First class job. I would go with them, it's better to pay a little more and have it done right the first time, then to have it done wrong.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, BigDaddyRich and Accord-R.

triz,

I Private Messaged you, just letting you know cuz I'm not sure how this forum notifies you (other than if you turn on e-mail notification) unless you check it manually.

Thanks again.

[ June 07, 2001: Message edited by: GSXR600 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
triz
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing