Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow sportx'ers. Im thinking of some new 18" wheels. I really like the Volk RE30 gunmetal wheels. My car has the Koni Yellow/Eibach Prokit. The drop is 0.8" in front and 1.7" in the rear, but my car seemed to ride pretty high stock, so the drops may not be as large as they sound...anyways, i hit tirerack.com and the "stock" 18" setup for the RE30's is a 18x7.5 (50mm offset) front and 18x8.5 (52mm) rear. These sound like large offsets. I'd really like to go with the same wheel size front and rear to allow for some rotation. What do you think of these offsets?

Would the 8.5's work front and rear. The 215/40/18 (the default size tire for 18x7.5) size sux for tire selection also, so i'd like to use 225/40/18. Would those work on 18x7.5s?

I saw squareback's post that indicated he uses 18x7.5 with a +42 offset all around. What size tire do you use?

Just for my own knowledge, is the only difference between the sedan and sportx the staggered tire size on the sportx, or is the rear hub to hub distance actually different between the sedan and sportx?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I used 225/40/18 on the 7.5 wheel width.

8.5 is tight in the front, but can be done, but you will need to run a 225/40/18, so sort of negates have such a wide rim. Problem being a +45 offset is the maximum you can run to avoid interference with the inner arm. Any lower offset on an 8.5 and you risk rubbing on the fender.

Don't get me wrong, I see people run it all day long, but they either modified the fender, modified their driving habits, or ran a slightly stretched tire, none of which I was willing to do with my daily driver.

I think 8 inches wide with a +45 offset using either a 225/40/18 or a 235/35/18 would be perfect all the way around, if you don't want to stagger. Best for handling, and able to rotate.

Team Lexus tracked their car with 17X8 +45 all the way around with 225/45/17.

+42 offset for a 7.5 inch wheel is perfect in my opinion for the front.

On the rear I have 8.5 inch wide wheels with a +43 offset, and it is pretty flush. Not outrageously close flush, but flusher than I was expecting. It does fill out the wheel well though.

I'm not sure about the track being different on the sedan versus the SportX in the rear. I figured they were the same, but due to the extra 150 pounds we carry over the sedan, Lexus put a slightly larger tire in the rear, to keep it an under-steering car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wheels are nice an all, but TIRES are what keeps the car planted..... I'm not much of a wheel person, as long as thwe wheel stays true in all of its required specifications I could care less....

What is important(imho) are the tires..... How do you currently use your SprtX??? What specifics are you looking for????

You (thezinfan) live in my neck of the woods, I live in Portland, I see you are in Seattle.... Based purly on region and known quality of product... have you looked at Nokian tires??? They have 2 different SUMMER type tires that are WINTER capable!!! The Nokian WRg2 and the Nokian WR

The WRg2 \/

The WR \/

You can see the entiure Nokian line here....
Nokian Tires

I've run their snow tires for YEARS... BEST snow/ice tires made!! When our SprtX Bridgestone G009 die, I'll likely get the WRg2s

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, wheel/tire weight (unsprung weight) is very important, which is why i'm looking at a light/forged wheel like the volk's. If i was just concerned with looks i'd get some cheapo ASA's that weigh 7#'s more each.

The main reason i'm switching wheels is that i want a set of summer tires (either goodyear Eagle F1 Assyms or Mich Pilot Sports PS2's) and then i'd mount a set of wet/winter tires like the F1 All Seasons or the Potenza RE960's on the stock rims.

·
Registered
387 Posts
just got done getting my own new rims and tires on and its a night and day difference. 18x7.5 225/40/18 all around which is Squareback's old setup and it rocks

Reactions: Squareback

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...and that's what I just ordered also. I never really had a good feel for how well 8's or 8.5's would fit, so i ordered 225/40/18 on 18x7.5's all around.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Larry, what wheels did you end up getting, and what offsets?

Post up some pics when you get them on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts