Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the deal, im looking for new front component speakers to go with my current system.

Right now I have the Alpine PDX 4.100 amp powering the Infinity Kappa Perfect Components in the front and Infinity kappa 693.9 in the rear. I also have a Alpine Type R being powered by the Alpine PDX 1.600.

I want to get rid of the Infinity Kappa Perfects; I'm looking for something with more midbass and very loud & clear.

I know there has been topics regarding component speakers with good midbass; however, a lot of the ones suggested have been discontinued.

I'm looking between the:

Boston Acoustics PRO60SE (Pro60 SE) 6-1/2" Component Systems Car Speakers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

and

Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS Component Speakers - Car Speakers at Onlinecarstereo.com

I don't want to spend more than $300 but will do if the speakers are HIGHLY encouraged as being worth it; however, $400 is my max.

Any suggestions would be highly helpful:bigSmile:

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
I'd encourage you to use what you have installed already and just deaden and seal the doors. You'll get more out of ANY speaker you put in there once you've treated the doors properly. With the doors sealed I've experienced a DRAMATIC increase in midbass in the speakers I had in there already.

·
Registered
255 Posts
i agree with the stalion...i would get rid of the rear deck speakers and concentrate on your front stage. i would choose something like the focal polyglass 6.5 or the cx from image dynamics....cdt audio also has a great selection of components at a good price...rainbow speakers or hertz are also good choices... check out Woofersetc.com the online car audio super store, the largest selection at the lowest prices! or Onlinecarstereo.Com - Wholesale Car Audio/Stereo Deals At Bargain Prices i beleive they have better prices than sonix

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
The Focal Polyglass 165V1 set was what I had in my car. When I finally pulled my head out of my ass and deadened and sealed the doors those things HAMMERED like crazy! I estimate at least 6db of gain per octave.

Remember, a speaker will only perform its best when in the best environment ;)

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
I agree. Sound deadening really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If you set out to cover every square inch of your car it's hard and takes a while. If you want to kill some resonances and turn your door into a better enclosure it's easy as cake!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
kappa perfects are a descent speaker you should be happy with the mid-bass i would double check your crossover point and all of your settings on your 4ch. a common installer practice that i have seen through out the years is to turn on the hpf and tune it around 200 hrz and then on the sub turn on the lpf and turn it to around 80 hrz then crank up the gains. this is not correct. and this could be why you have no mid-bass. the only issue i have with infinity is there tweeter and how harsh they are however the kappa perfects were a little smoother for me....

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
Ok. Sealing up the doors will help a ton. Reason being is that your speakers will then be enclosed. A speaker in an enclosure performs better than a free air speaker because of acoustic suspension.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what do you have in mind?
Either

Boston Acoustics PRO60SE (Pro60 SE) 6-1/2" Component Systems Car Speakers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

or

Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS Component Speakers - Car Speakers at Onlinecarstereo.com

But I still looking for more recommendations besides these....

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I hate the fact that pioneer has so many shitty products because it dramatically offsets there good stuff
TS-C720PRS these I have heard and there surprisingly good. I wouldnt mind going with them. there very smooth sounding I just cant get over the name brand thing..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.