Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car back this morning and I am very disappointed in my dealer. The car has been in the shop for 2 weeks and at first they were going to rebuild the transmission but decided that it would be more cost effective to replace the entire thing. Last week I went up there to check on it and get my insurance info, and I discovered the most upsetting thing this dealer has done. No seat covers or mats, shifter removed and laying on the pass floor mat, pass seat had other misc bolts and screws along with the shift boot, and when I get to the hood, I lift it up, and down falls the prop stick from where they broke the retaining clip. Oh and if you are wondering where the center console is, its still installed.

For those that have short shifters or have tried removing the shifter, I thought it was damn near imposible to remove without taking the console out but the certified lexus technician managed to get it out by mangling the clips that hold the wiring harness into the gromet cover and prying at everything to make it come out. He scratched up the inside of the console which is nothing, but when he pried at it ha put a bulge in the side of it that is now stressed and shows through on the outside as a little white bulge.

Long story short the fixed the hood clip and put a new tranny in. i requested they fix the console but they found no need to. I am pissed considering my service writer said the mechanic working on it was one of the top 3 at the dealership. I should have some more fun parts in the weekend or next and I am going to go under the car and inspect everything because I don't trust there work anymore. There is also a rattle at low speeds which I noticed as I drove through a school zone.

The tranny shifts fine without any more whining noise. The gears are very stiff kinda hard to get into but I figure thats becasue its new. I was using amsoil in the tranny before and thats stuff does work wonders becasue this tranny really feel like it is building friction while the amsoil made it feel like it slides along. I am going to change the gear oil alot more frequently these first few miles to make sure I get allt he metal out before it has a chance to float around and damage the bearings again. I will probabaly switch to amsoil in 1000 miles and change it every 1500 after that for a few times until it is broken in and flushes the metal out.

Thats about it for the new tranny. Kinda has a strange feel but I guess thats because its new. The car feels crazy too, after driving an es330 for 2 wks, the IS is much more direct and responsive. It feels like a race car compared to the es330.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Damn, I hate when you go in for service or some type of work for your car hoping that you can trust whoever is doing the work, only to find out that they are hacks. Especially when it's the dealer.

·
Whatever they say I am...
2,700 Posts
Juztinvez said:
after driving an es330 for 2 wks, the IS is much more direct and responsive. It feels like a race car compared to the es330.
Yeah I had a ES330 on Friday and couldnt wait to get back in my IS, I noticed the same thing too about the ES330, it seemed like when you step on the gas it responds late :confused: Sorry about what happen at the dealer, I hope your tranny works out fine. :) Sometimes the dealer can be clueless, I was talking to my service writer about the new IS, and he said he was going to miss the current engine on the IS. I said me too, " the last of the 2JZ-GE." and he said "whats that?" :jawDrop: :confused: :suspiciou

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting tidbit: Crawled under the car this past weekend to inspect the work done on it and I was somewhat disappointed in the mess they made. There was nothing major but something interesting on the new transmission. On the bottom of the transmission is a series of numbers etched in it and it started W56#####. So I am wondering if I have a W56 or if its just coded like that on the W55's. I'm gonna do some research on the the W56's and see if there is anything better about them than the W55's and report back.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
you had the work done at lexus and they did that to your caR? i just had a new tranny/clutch/flywheel, etc etc done at my dealer, and they did everything perfectly. even put short shifter back in

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lexus of Nashville Coolsprings, haven't impressed me yet. Something is in worse shape everythime I leave there

·
Registered
646 Posts
Juztinvez said:
Interesting tidbit: Crawled under the car this past weekend to inspect the work done on it and I was somewhat disappointed in the mess they made. There was nothing major but something interesting on the new transmission. On the bottom of the transmission is a series of numbers etched in it and it started W56#####. So I am wondering if I have a W56 or if its just coded like that on the W55's. I'm gonna do some research on the the W56's and see if there is anything better about them than the W55's and report back.
The W56 is very similar to the W55 in structure. It is a common fairly common transmission, with applications in cars like the 4runner.

Gear Ratios of W56:
* First Gear: 3.954:1
* Second Gear: 2.141:1
* Third Gear: 1.384:1
* Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
* Fifth Gear: 0.85:1

and for comparison,

Gear Ratios of W55
* First Gear: 3.566:1
* Second Gear: 2.056:1
* Third Gear: 1.384:1
* Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
* Fifth Gear: 0.85:1

I'm inclined to believe that the last 5 looked like a 6, and you have a w55. But it is interesting to consider the possibility that you actually do have a W56. And this brings upon the obvious questions like, Why did Lexus choose to begin replacing the easily damageable W55's with W56's? or Did your dealer purposely replace the W55 with a W56, even though a W55 replacement was required, and for what reason?
Maybe you could take a picture of the transmission code?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am I looking it the right place? I wasn't looking for it at all, just happened to notice it after I hit my head on it. I'll see if I can get it up on some ramps when I get home and post the pic. After noticing the gear ratios I have also noticed my 1st and 2nd gear make a funny noise kind rattle and then after I shift to 3rd its quiet.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Juztinvez said:
Am I looking it the right place? I wasn't looking for it at all, just happened to notice it after I hit my head on it. I'll see if I can get it up on some ramps when I get home and post the pic. After noticing the gear ratios I have also noticed my 1st and 2nd gear make a funny noise kind rattle and then after I shift to 3rd its quiet.
I would bring it back to lexus if you're having weird noises etc... Bring it back to the same dealer and if they give you a hard time or continue to offer bad service, call lexus directly.

·
Whatever they say I am...
2,700 Posts
Juztinvez said:
here the pic of that number that leads me to believe it might be a w56.

Even though pic is blurry, your right the 3rd number does look like a 6, I would inquire about it to the dealer where you had the work done. And by all means if you are not satisfied with the work make them get it right...dont back down and let it go, stay on their azz!!!!! Good luck. I hope it all works out :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
definately looks like a w56 to me

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wooo this thing sucks. I can't even hit 60 in second never checked to see if I could before but I assume I would have. It accelerates like a SOB.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sounds like you lucked out with the w56. Those shorter 1st and 2nd gears should definitely boost your off-the-line acceleration.

Please take it to the dragstrip (once it's broken in) and let us know what kind of times you pull. You'll should pick up some time over the w55 in the 60 foot and be able to carry it all the way down the track. You might get some nice times well into the 14's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts