Lexus IS Forum banner

New Toolbox.

491 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Pnut00 
#1 ·
I've been playing with machining. Making suspension and subframe bushings for my IS. I needed a toolbox to hold my mic's, calipers and other lathy things. I have a Craftsman and Husky box already for my car tools.

https://www.harborfreight.com/26-in-x-22-In-Single-Bank-Red-Roller-Cabinet-64162.html

I ended up picking this one. It's well made and deep which is what I was looking for. Most cheaper toolboxes are pretty shallow so, you can't fit too much per shelf. This thing is better than any new Craftsman or Husky box I looked at for much less money.

It seems to be well made, was easy to assemble and is lockable. You can get an upper cabinet to sit on it too. I wanted to use it as a toolbox and mobile table so I didn't get the upper section.

I have no association with HF. I just thought I'd point out my experience while looking for a toolbox.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice. The only other things i tend to look for is nice slide action on the drawers, (i prefer smooth action on rollers), and if it is going to be kept at work around others i would look for a half decent locking system to keep the "morally challenged" out.

One of the toolboxes at work even has soft closing drawers on it, nice but hardly satisfying when you want to slam it shut cause someone else has taken the tool you were after lol :D

#3 ·
Those boxes are really nice and built very well. Some people are brand snobs but ive always been more concerned about the tools in the box than the box itself. Even if I made my living with my tools i wouldnt be afraid to buy one of those series 2 HF boxes. I watched some reviews on them and they were rated better than alot of the name brands.

#4 ·
The only other things i tend to look for is nice slide action on the drawers, (i prefer smooth action on rollers),
They're at least as good as any other cheaper box. They are roller slides. I had to replace all the slides on my Husky because they all bent out of shape and allowed the balls to fall out. It was about $100-120 for install upgraded slides with at least 3 times the weight capacity.

From my research, it seems that slides in this size range are limited to about 120 lbs capacity. The way snap-on gets around this is they double-up on the number of slides on their deep drawers. So deep drawers have 4 slides.

This box isn't as nice as a snap-on but it's better than a craftsman/husky so it slots between them.

#5 ·
Im not sure about the brands, the ones you mention arent popular over here apart from Snap-on, which are pretty much the premium brand you can get. Most of the ones over here are cheap no name brands, but as mentioned by nismofan i am more interested in making sure the tools are good quality . . . and can be made secure. The 30 year old tool boxes in my garage are still going, both the branded and noname ones are rusting at the same rate ;). The tools are still going too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.