Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I’m pleased to have joined the community. I have recently acquired an 03 and have been enthusiastic about doing so for years but was caught up in a different community for a decade. I have noticed that when searching this site I become bombarded with hundreds and thousands of threads. I would like to suggest that we make it easier for EVERYONE to search the site and narrow down the search results. This would require a few different threads (perhaps titled the same as this one) with a few basic rules such as “don’t start a new thread without searching a particular topic first and check the faq and gentle guidance to those who do/don’t. Including prompt removal of redundant threads created. And perhaps a bit of spring cleaning regarding the redundant threads already created and a comprehensive compilation of the GOOD ones that do exist. I, personally am willing to help with this if any mods feel the same way. Perhaps we can make a communal effort and reduce the amount of new threads created and emphasize the need to search for existing threads, get rid of the crap and make a comprehensive compilation of topics like motor, trans, brake, aero, wheels, body, and soul customization/build threads, a generalized thread of “what I did to my IS today” etc. and a faq. Personally I feel like I see a lot of repetitive question threads clogging up thread search results. Any input in regards to this would be great! Enjoy driving all! These are great cars!!

·
Mr. Roo
9,886 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for the suggestions! The forum used to be a lot more busy and active in the days before "social media" and so we did have threads and stickies and such like you propose. Now, the community has "facebooked" and the next generation tends to like having people answer their questions directly rather than searching or figuring stuff out. But people are also still finding new stuff all the time. So what I do is, I just search Google with "site: my.is" for whatever I need. But still even then, it takes a lot of digging to find what you want sometimes. In short, I totally agree with you, and in concept , what you propose would be great. But in practice, it's just not very realistic or practical to actually create such a "utopia". Though, if you do find anything specific, I'll be happy to work with you to update stickies and create new ones.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
864 Posts
Hello.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Now, the community has "facebooked" and the next generation tends to like having people answer their questions directly rather than searching or figuring stuff out.
Seems funny to me, half the fun to me is reading and researching to figure out what is going on, seems lazy not to search before asking. Its probably why im not a fan of facebook groups...

Im sounding old right now, arent i?!:sneaky:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Seems funny to me, half the fun to me is reading and researching to figure out what is going on, seems lazy not to search before asking. Its probably why im not a fan of facebook groups...

Im sounding old right now, arent i?!:sneaky:
Lol I'm with you on that #teamoldfarts!

When I'm looking up info I always find out other ideas, pictures, suggestions, etc. I think I spent two days trying to look at how people installed hood latches before I decided on how to do mine :geek:
The only thing that sucks is all of the lost pictures from places like photosuckit and tinypic

Reactions: TobiasSing
1 - 5 of 5 Posts