Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always liked IS300s, even though I've mainly owned domestic RWD V8 cars ('99 Trans Am, '96 WS6, '06 GTO, '00 Camaro SS) along with a few other cars too ('96 Integra, '94 Neon beater, '06 Civic, '08 F150) as well as one bike that I sold a little while back ('01 Honda F4i). I also currently own half of a '94 Miata R-package that we're building for SCCA Auto-X double driver action. Garages > josh99ta's Garage - FQuick.com for pictures or details on what I'm coming from into the IS300 world.

I've always wanted an IS300 for a daily driver and had my eye on them ever since they were introduced. Four doors, comfortable, great looks, bulletproof drivetrain, and still sporty enough to have a little fun in. They're not fast in stock form, but they're great around curves, and the auto trans with e-shift means the wife can drive it and I can also have a little fun with it. Seemed like the perfect fit for my situation these days.

I used to have a '08 F150, and when I was selling the truck and looking for a daily driver replacement back in October '09, IS300s were actually the very first vehicle I checked used prices on, but were just more than I was wanting to pay. I ended up in a 2000 Camaro SS back in October, but when I saw this one up for sale/trade, I casually threw out an offer for a straight trade on my SS, and the owner took the trade. If you're talking actual money invested I ended up paying $6700 for this IS300. That's a pretty good deal I think. :)

Graphite Gray Pearl 2001 Lexus IS300 A5 w/ 140,000 miles in amazing shape (looks like a 50k mile car, previous owners were extremely meticulous)

It's all stock except for 6000k HID bulbs and the chrome tip that was welded on to replace the rusty stock tip. There were only two issues with the car. I'm missing the right thumb "DOWN" button on the steering wheel (anybody know where I can get my hands on one of those?), and I have one fog light out, so I'm going to go with 3000k HIDs. Otherwise the car is basically flawless. So far I'm loving the handling, loving the solid build of the car, and love a lot of the features (HIDs, heated seats, leather interior with suede inserts, moonroof, solid stock stereo, Homelink so I don't have to have a bulky garage door opener on the visor anymore).

Plans for the car right now:
-Immediately have to do the throttle spacer mod, because right now I feel very disconnected from the throttle inputs and I hate that feeling
-Most likely going to disable the DRLs, I hate DRLs on most all cars
-Debadge the "LEXUS" and "IS300" letters on the rear trunk lid, leaving only the "L" cause I like the clean look
-Red out the tail lights except for the small strip across the bottom for the reverse lights
-Redo the tint as it's old and slightly purple (20% all around, adding 45% neutral film to the entire windshield)
-Paint brake calipers and add Lexus "L" logos front and rear, still deciding on black or red (but leaning towards red)
-Front lip of some kind, still trying to figure out which one looks best with no other body add-ons

Considering:
-Match the indented middle part of the wheels to the color of the car (still on the fence on this one)
-Might VHT Niteshades the front side markers, although I can't quite decide yet
-Might do some yellow vinyl overlays on the fog lenses, but will only do this if I tint the front side markers

Then just enjoy having a comfortable, reliable daily driver and only replacing things when they need to be replaced. Might see some autocross duty in whatever stock class it falls into also just for kicks.

Future plans:
-Once these tires wear out I plan on picking up a set of new wheels and tires. Looking at all sorts of OEM options, and a few aftermarket ones, but want them to look close to an OEM style wheel, leaning towards ASA AR1s in silver (18x8 +40) as I like the mesh style with a little lip
-Rolled fenders with a drop, not slammed because I want to keep the stock ride quality, but wouldn't mind eliminating the fender gap, probably go coilovers just so I can set it exactly where I want it to be

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Welcome to my IS! Nice pick up. GGP FTW! Those are some nice photos of a stock IS. haha. Looks clean. I like your plans. HID fogs are awesome. I have them and love it! I recommend you to buy the HID fog kit from HIDextra.com. Good price for them. Also, I would recommend the RMM front lip for you since you said you are looking for one that flows well without sideskirts or a rear lip. Nice choice of wheels also. I have ASA AR1's myself and love it. You can see what your car looks like with them since I have the exact wheel and color car. Just click on my sig. Good luck and happy modding! :)

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Don't paint the wheels the way you described ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gregski, you're right. I've been looking at it hard. Stock silver looks the best and lets the dimensions show through. The other way would make them look cheap.

4life, great looking car. I want mine to look the same way with the drop and wheels and the lip, just with the stock grille and no spoiler on the rear (and the taillights different as I was talking about). Looks nice enough to be different but still looks classy. Great looking car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice car I say avoid night shades if your doing something to the markers paint them ggp
I'd definitely prefer that, but I need to look at the whole front lighting setup to make sure I have some amber blinking up front, because painting the markers GGP won't let any light through (that's what I like about Niteshades).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
03/10/10 - New stuff: Retinted windows, debadged the rear a little, color-matched front side markers to body color and removed bulbs, yellow optics overlays on the fog lights, red-out taillight overlays.

Just some quick driveway point and shoot shots. I'm loving everything about this car and the small changes I've made, but still not convinced on the yellow optics overlays for the fog lights. Looking into yellow DRL bulbs to tie it in. I want more contrast against the graphite gray but don't want it to look slapped together.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Looks great...nice start! I like the yellow and red out overlays....maybe because I am rocking those too. lol Looks great though..keep it. Yellow DRL bulbs will flow nice though. Look into those...like the PIAAs. +rep

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks great...nice start! I like the yellow and red out overlays....maybe because I am rocking those too. lol Looks great though..keep it. Yellow DRL bulbs will flow nice though. Look into those...like the PIAAs. +rep
That's what I was getting ready to ask, where can I find those at? I think the yellow DRL bulbs would tie it together on the front end for me. Right now I feel like the yellow looks out of place, but with the DRL bulbs being yellow too it would really tie it together IMO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I headed over to autolumination.com which is like my one stop shop for bulbs for the past five years or so. Picked up some 3000k yellow plasma bulbs for the DRLs to tie the front together, and also picked up some chrome bulbs for the front and rear turn signals that still light up amber, but are otherwise chrome so that I can get rid of all the amber in the front and rear lights. The little details, but they make a difference.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.