Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
You're saying you want your 60-1 compressor wheel with a turbine that you've told us absolutely nothing about in a garrett chra and you want us to tell you how much power you're going to make? You originally didn't even tell us what fuel you're using.

My advice is, whatever you're thinking about doing, don't do it. You don't seem to know anything about this garrett. Compressor wheels and turbines have to work together, and are generally paired by the turbo manufacturers pretty well. You just throwing on another compressor wheel is probably not going to improve the turbo.

Also, you say the compressor housing is a gt30 housing... assuming it's a gt30 wheel under there, that's very very close in size to a 60-1 compressor wheel, with better aerodynamics. Swapping a gt30 compressor for a 60-1 compressor is a downgrade or a wash at best.

BTW, telling us the a/r of the housings tells us absolutely nothing about the actual compressor and turbine wheels. Nothing.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across harsh, but I'm trying to save you from doing a lot of work for no benefit. If you tell us what turbine wheel is on the garrett, we may be able to tell you if it's a decent match for the 2jz.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You're saying you want your 60-1 compressor wheel with a turbine that you've told us absolutely nothing about in a garrett chra and you want us to tell you how much power you're going to make? You originally didn't even tell us what fuel you're using.

My advice is, whatever you're thinking about doing, don't do it. You don't seem to know anything about this garrett. Compressor wheels and turbines have to work together, and are generally paired by the turbo manufacturers pretty well. You just throwing on another compressor wheel is probably not going to improve the turbo.

Also, you say the compressor housing is a gt30 housing... assuming it's a gt30 wheel under there, that's very very close in size to a 60-1 compressor wheel, with better aerodynamics. Swapping a gt30 compressor for a 60-1 compressor is a downgrade or a wash at best.

BTW, telling us the a/r of the housings tells us absolutely nothing about the actual compressor and turbine wheels. Nothing.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across harsh, but I'm trying to save you from doing a lot of work for no benefit. If you tell us what turbine wheel is on the garrett, we may be able to tell you if it's a decent match for the 2jz.
yeah im starting to think its time to scrap this idea and move on to something different. lenoard_is300 been telling me just to get a borg warner and be set.

·
Registered
368 Posts
As the former owner of donnie's (leonard_is300) turbo, I can tell you that I'm happier with another turbo, but borg warners are not a bad choice, and I'd definitely recommend going with a production turbo over piecing together your own.

What are your goals, and why can't the 60-1 meet them?

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 60-1 took a poop. And it's pointless to rebuild it because of such old technology.

600hp on pump

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
Borg Warner S360sx S360 83/75 T4 swin scroll would be sick. Donnie, had to make a spacer for the intake manifold to make it clear the intercooler piping to the throttle body though.

Precision 6262 T4 0.84 a/r twin scroll would also be a good choice.

·
Registered
368 Posts
600 wheel on 93 is a hell of a lot. A 67mm turbo will get you close, but probably not quite there, a 71mm will probably be your best bet. You need to think about drivability at that point, you'll be making boost much later. If you're going for 600 whp on e85, that's much more doable, something in the 60-62mm range will probably make it. I recommend going with the smallest possible to meet your goals. My choice would be a 6262, but talk to your tuner about what they suggest.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Since the s300sx 83-75 is being mentioned a lot here, I'll give you my opinion, having run one myself. I replaced my old 60-1 with an s300sx 83-75 1.0 a/r, which I ended up selling to leonard_is300. I replaced that with a turbonetics ball bearing 6462 with a .81 a/r housing and like it much better. With no other changes, I had the car tuned with the 6462 at 17lbs of boost, it made about 15whp less than the 83-75 did at 18lbs, but it was also 30 degrees hotter the day we tuned the turbonetics. I think I picked up something like 15 ft-lbs of torque peak and it spooled a couple hundred rpm earlier. I don't have the dyno sheets, because numbers aren't important to me, but driving wise, it's a completely different car. I make boost sooner, and it pulls harder the whole time.

If you read the hype that geoff of full race spouts(which is what convinced my to buy the borg warner in the first place), this is the exact opposite of what he claims. I swapped my twin scroll 60mm borg warner for a single scroll billet 64mm turbo with what he would say is an undersized turbine. The boost threshold is lower, there is more torque, and at the same psi, the horsepower is very very close. Keep in mind that geoff at full race is not only on the borg warner payroll (at least he claims that he helped develop the efr series turbos), but is the only person selling the off the shelf borg warners with the modified exhaust housings, which he would also claim are better than the bep modified b-w's.

Like I said, I don't have dyno sheets, I don't really care what the numbers say, but my car is way more fun to drive now than with the borg warner, sorry Donnie. On the street, it spools 200-300 rpm earlier and even if the actual dyno numbers were lower, I think it pulls harder. Keep in mind the ball bearing billet turbonetics was a definitely more expensive turbo though. If you're budget constrained, I can recommend the borg warner, but I would also consider a journal bearing turbonetics 6462, or precision 6262 or 6266.

Disclaimer: My experience is all on shell 93, e85 may change the outcome. Your results may vary :p

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good info BERK. looks like ill be doing some more research.

Mods feel free to close thread since i scrapped this idea

·
Registered
351 Posts
600 wheel on 93 is a hell of a lot. A 67mm turbo will get you close, but probably not quite there, a 71mm will probably be your best bet. You need to think about drivability at that point, you'll be making boost much later. If you're going for 600 whp on e85, that's much more doable, something in the 60-62mm range will probably make it. I recommend going with the smallest possible to meet your goals. My choice would be a 6262, but talk to your tuner about what they suggest.
Im pushing 700 to the wheels on a PTE 67 Ptrim but thats on pump and meth.

·
Registered
201 Posts
so i got that garrett turbo and took it apart. heres more specs on it.

Garrett turbo or supposedly garrett.

.50 compressor a/r
.84 turbine a/r
3" inlet 2" out
t4 divided flange
compressor inducer mm - 42
compressor exducer mm - 60
turbine inducer mm - 53
turbine exducer mm - 63

to me looks like a 400hp max turbo. might need some upgrades.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Supercharger Vs Turbo what are the Pro's & Con's of both???

Can you put GTE parts on ur car if ur not turbo'd or sc'd yet??

·
Registered
1,790 Posts

You can but it won't benefit performance at all. You can install the GTE headgasket , rods and pistons and it will be ready for turbo.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Supercharger - instant spool, to change psi you have to change a pulley, for the price not worth it because your limited to hp. You will probably never see over 450hp

Turbo - some lag depending on size of exhaust housing. You could make so much hp and set it what psi you want it that day just by turning up a knob. More reliable less maintenance

Yes you can but your going to loose power. I think the vvti non-turbo engine has 10.1 cr while the gte has like 8.8 or 9.0 somewhere around there.

·
Registered
437 Posts
So I can use it to memorize these... I'm on my phone often and the internet is too slow... If I had a print out you know?

81 - 100 of 115 Posts