Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Before you get flamed--
IMO the people that ask this question inherently cannot have this request- let me explain.

There will be those that would say what you want is impossible, or a catch-22. I believe what they mean, is that if you have to ask, then you do not have the capability to pull it off.

The kits that are pricy, are not pricy because they use over-kill top of the top shelf parts, but have had the foresight and experience put into them that they work darn well. They are application and time tested.

To do it cheaply- it is somewhat possible. But there are two types- those who pull it off because they have the knowledge, and therefore do not even have to ask where such a kit is, or how to build one. Then there are those who ask, get pissed when people give them good honest advice that is not what they want to hear, and then for the next year we follow their build thread of epic fail as almost every part they buy fails, performs badly or simply won't do the job and they make constant mistakes be it wiring, bad sensor placement, bad component placement etc etc. And then they end up paying just as much over this period of time to make it work as it would have costed to do it right the first time, and/or the car gets put up for sale.

So one is left with two options. 1) pay to play 2) buy some books, do a lot of studying on the subject and become capable of doing it yourself- and in the process learn why those who can, do not roll out the red carpet for those who can't or 3) Jump into it and 'fall down the stairs' into pain so to speak.

Don't get me wrong, there will be those who said they bought "X" cheep kit and everything is great, but take everything with a grain of salt-- they may have a lot of ability, lots of little odds and ends in their garage that for those who don't, it adds up- they often have a mechanic friend or family member, can weld, have awesome fabbing friends, friends in the industry etc, and for all we know they got a great kick-back when buying the kit/parts and they are simply talking it up for that reason. Anyhow, do enough searching around here and I doubt you can refute these points, but rather totally agree with them. If you have the luxury of learning the "hard way", then I say go for it-- its great to learn, and your better off in the end gaining all that knowledge than not at all.
Quoted for epicness. It should be sticky'd...Then again, no one reads the sticky's. Why do I say that? Cause threads like this are created at least once every couple weeks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
help with selecting a turbo for my goals

I did some searching and can't seem to narrow it down to what turbo to go with for the goals that I'm looking for. I'm not looking to make any crazy power since this is my daily driver. I'd like to stay in the 350 - 400 whp so that I can retain some of the stock parts for the time being. I'm looking for some suggestions for my goals - low to mid spool that will support my hp goals (not ball bearing), def not a top end turbo, I don't plan on making too many highway pulls. Something for good acceleration. My brother has been suggesting the 16G or a 20G Mitsubishi turbos - is anybody familiar with running these on the GE/GTE? Any other suggestions for what I'm looking to do? I like the Precision turbos but there's so many to choose from.

·
4,636 Posts
If you run a 16g or 20g on this engine you deserve to be slapped. a 16g or 20g turbo is way way way way to small and you will have that turbo choked off at 2000rpms it will not be able to keep with this engine. Just buy a $500 china T04E turbo and in the mean time do alot more research on this.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I did some searching and can't seem to narrow it down to what turbo to go with for the goals that I'm looking for. I'm not looking to make any crazy power since this is my daily driver. I'd like to stay in the 350 - 400 whp so that I can retain some of the stock parts for the time being. I'm looking for some suggestions for my goals - low to mid spool that will support my hp goals (not ball bearing), def not a top end turbo, I don't plan on making too many highway pulls. Something for good acceleration. My brother has been suggesting the 16G or a 20G Mitsubishi turbos - is anybody familiar with running these on the GE/GTE? Any other suggestions for what I'm looking to do? I like the Precision turbos but there's so many to choose from.
popular turbos for the GE/GTE are
  • Precision 6765
  • Garret GT35R
  • Borg Warner S366

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
16 g will be too small, but 20g will do just fine... But I will recommend buying a precision turbo from SRT
Supporting the company that got kicked off the site, probably a good suggestion.

It will arrive just in time for summer, and might be missing the compressor side. just maybe

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
popular turbos for the GE/GTE are
  • Precision 6765
  • Garret GT35R
  • Borg Warner S366
I'd like to add to this list:

- Precision 6262
- Borg Warner S360 83/75

:) The 6765 is probably too big for 350-400 whp, same with the S366, in my opinion.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I really like the 6262 but I've seen people use the it for higher power applications like 600+hp... wouldn't it still be too big for 350ish hp? Also how come nobody is using internal wastegate on the IS?

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
^no that turbo isn't too big for 350whp because you'll still be getting your boost ~3200rpm. Anything smaller than that and you'll be choked up in the high rpm's.

Most aftermarket turbos don't have internal wastegates, which is why you need to buy a wastegate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Turbo IS300 with 100,000 miles

Is this too many miles for a daily driver? The turbo was put on at 90,000. The car is auto. It is running 7lbs of boost and It has the thicker metal headgasket to handle more boost. How long will this car last?

Thank You in advance.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Is this too many miles for a daily driver? The turbo was put on at 90,000. The car is auto. It is running 7lbs of boost and It has the thicker metal headgasket to handle more boost. How long will this car last?

Thank You in advance.
I put my turbo on at 134k, almost to 137k. no issues yet, it all depends on how hard you drive the car.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
11,816 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It's personal preference from what I see, search and see what you like better. I recommend the 2jz-GE w/gte rods and pistons because already have the engine , just build it. And you don't have to use the SRT kit, just buy everything from the kit piece by piece I guarantee it will be cheaper.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
9 Posts
putting together my own turbo kit

shopping around right now for everything I need to go boost. Screw the "complete" ebay kits...I'm not going THAT cheap. I already have nice suspension and set my trans up with the SRT sprag gear/cooler/valve body. considering a billet torque converter also.

Only looking for 375ish hp but i want that on a conservative tune so i'm not constanlty running at 100% capacity.

someone point me in the right direction. I need a name-brand turbo unit so i know it's reliable. Doens't have to be huge, just get me the numbers i want. Plus i don't want it spooling at insane RPM's.

or, if someone currently has a 375ish boosted setup already, that's easy... just let me know what you got and I can just match it with similar parts.

thanks!!

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
Turbo: Precision 6262 T4 divided 0.84 A/R or Borg Warner S300sx S360 8375 T4 Divided 0.91 or 1.00 A/R.

Wastegate:you want something of good quality like a Tial MV-R or MV-S. Turbosmart almost make good oens.

Blow Off vavleTial Q 50mm is awesome. HKS SSQV are also popular. GReddy's and Blitz's are also good.

Engine Management:Depends if a CEL bothers you and if you need to pass emissions. GReddy Emanage Ultimate should be fine.

Intercooler:Try to find something better than the ebay/OBX/godspeed ones due to heat-soak. Dezod have good prices on Garrett cores and Precision intercoolers.

These are the most important parts of a turbo system, more or less. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Bam good info by Jerm once again. I found a nice turbonetics kit at a great price, or if you get your posts up you can later get on the classifieds section and pick up a nice SRT turbo kit. Good luck bro, glad to see your doing it right

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Jerm!!! Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Any idea how much HP those parts would run?

Also. Would it be better to start with a 2JZ-GTE swap and then add these parts so I wouldn't have to worry about breaking stuff? Trying to spend money wisely...and I'd rather not blow up an engine lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Answered my own question :p

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
The GReddy EMU can only have so much in terms of injector size. I know a guy on here was able to get up to 650whp on 800cc injectors. The EMU should be good up to about 500whp reliably I would think.

If you build like me (when I do eventually go turbo) you could do it in steps like this

1) boost on GE till about 300whp.
2) swap in GTE internals and R154 or V160/161 and then go for 400-500whp.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts