Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cell Phone Usage THIS BILL DID NOT PASS
HB 281 - This bill was to outlaw talking on a cell phone while driving. Even though this bill did not pass, it has received a lot of attention on the Internet.

THESE BILLS DID PASS:

Driver License Point System
HB 3588 - The Driver Responsibility Program establishes a system that assigns points to moving violations classified as Class C misdemeanors and applies surcharges to offenders based on the type of offense and the time period in which the citation was received. A defensive driving course can remove points from your record, as well as dismiss the ticket.
Read more about HB 3588 (Article 10)

License Plate Visibility
SB 439 - This bill makes it illegal to add reflective material, lights, emblems, anything that changes the color of the license plate, or makes it difficult to read the lettering of the license plate. Check to make sure your license plate frame does not obscure any portion of the state name or license plate number.
Read more about SB 439

Passing Emergency Vehicles
SB 193 - Requires a vehicle operator approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle using flashing lights, on a highway with two or more lanes traveling in the same direction, to vacate the lane closest to the emergency situation or slow to 20 mph below the speed limit or 5 mph when the posted limit is less than 25 mph.
Read more about SB 193

Video Displays Inside a Vehicle
SB 209 - This bill states that a video display that is visible from the driver's seat is illegal. The definition of a video display includes televisions, videodisc players, videocassette players, or similar equipment. The bill does not include mobile navigation systems.
Read more about SB 209

DWI with a Child
SB 45 - Creates a new offense, "DWI with a child," as a state jail felony. The law defines a child as any passenger younger than 15 years of age.
Read more about SB 45

Blood/Breath Specimens
HB 292 - Requires officers to take blood and/or breath specimens at the scene of a motor vehicle or watercraft accident where someone has been seriously injured or killed.
Read more about HB 292

Window Tint
SB 345 - Changes the current law to allow measurement of the light transmission or reflectance of the window tint in combination with the manufacturer tinted window. This bill also removes the exemption for motor vehicles manufactured before 1988. Decreases to 25 percent or more the required visible light transmission and reflectance of window tinting of a windshield with a sunscreening device that is in combination with the windshield. Includes blue in the list of prohibited colors of a sunscreening device. Redefines the list of items not covered by this section to include, a wing vent or a
window other than a windshield if the vent or window has a sunscreening device that in combination with the vent or window has certain characteristics. Includes in the list of items not covered by this section, a window that complies with federal standards for window materials, including a factory-tinted, pretinted window installed by the vehicle manufacturer, or a replacement window meeting certain specifications.
Read more about SB 345

Driving Instruction Permit Expiration Date
HB 1032 - Extends the expiration date of a driving instruction permit to the second, rather than the first, birthday of the license holder after the date of the application.
Read more about HB 1032

Racing a Motor Vehicle
HB 1326 - Increases the penalty for racing a motor vehicle on a public highway or street to a Class B misdemeanor; allows for the citation of spectators; requires driver's license suspensions; and compels a person convicted of racing to complete an educational program to be developed by the Texas Education Agency.
Read more about HB 1326

Deferred Adjudication/Defensive Driving
SB 631 - Clarifies that all judges retain full discretion to dismiss traffic offenses based on deferred disposition, that judges may require offenders to take a defensive driving course, and that drivers retain the right to have a traffic offense dismissed (certain restrictions apply). This bill also streamlines the procedures for taking a defensive driving course, and clarifies the costs of participating in a defensive driving course for the purposes of deferring final judgment of misdemeanor traffic offenses.
Read more about SB 631

Transfer of Vehicle Title
SB 1507 - Authorizes the owner of a vehicle to use a limited power of attorney to authorize an agent to execute title documents for the owner when the owner is voluntarily transferring title to the vehicle. (Certain restrictions apply.)
Read more about SB 1507

Laser Pointers
HB 831 - Laser pointers mimic sighting lasers on firearms, which may cause an officer to act as if his or her life is in danger. This bill states that a person who knowingly directs light from a laser pointer at a uniformed safety officer (including peace officers, security guards, firefighters, EMS workers, etc.) commits a Class C misdemeanor..
Read more about HB 831

Blocking ADA Improvements
HB 1784 - Provides that a person commits an offense if the person parks a vehicle so that the vehicle blocks an architectural improvement designed to aid persons with disabilities, including an access aisle or curb ramp.
Read more about HB 1784

Medical Information on a Driver's License
HB 1330 - Authorizes a driver's license applicant to voluntarily list any pertinent medical information on a driver's license and requires that information to be printed on the back of the driver's license, if space allows. This information will also be represented by a universal symbol or code on the face of the license in the restrictions and endorsements area. (Effective 1/1/04)
Read more about HB 1330

Database of Driver's License Information
SB 1445 - Provides a penalty for compiling or maintaining a database of the electronically readable information from a driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate.
Read more about SB 1445

Speed Limits in Unincorporated Areas
SB 540 - Authorizes the commissioners court of a county to alter the speed limit on a county road or highway to no less than 30 mph, or 20 mph if the road is in a residential district, if the road is not part of the state highway system or within an incorporated municipality.
Read more about SB 540

Vehicle Trespassing
HB 1872 - Amends the current law to include vehicles on the list of places where trespassing is prohibited.
Read more about HB 1872

Recreational Vehicles
HB 946 - Allows recreational vehicles to exceed width limitations by up to six inches beyond the 102 inch width limit when the extension is due to an appurtenance, such as an awning or grab handle.
Read more about HB 946

Removal of Parked Vehicles
HB 560 - Authorizes the removal of a parked vehicle at an apartment complex that constitutes an obstruction, is parked in a tow away zone, is leaking dangerous fluids, or is a trailer, semi-trailer, or truck-tractor.
Read more about HB 560

ATV Passengers
SB 1635 - Allows an individual to carry a passenger on an all-terrain vehicle if the vehicle is designed by the manufacturer to transport a passenger.
Read more about SB 1635

Passengers in Trailers HB 2096 - Prohibits a person from operating a truck or tractor when another person occupies the trailer being drawn by the truck or tractor. This bill excludes towable recreational vehicles, parades, hayrides, and circumstances deemed an emergency.
Read more about HB 2096

Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devices
HB 1997 - This bill legalizes the use of an Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device on sidewalks, designated bicycle paths, and, in certain situations, on a residential street, roadway, or public highway.
Read more about HB 1997

Traffic Violations by a CDL Holder
SB 1904 - Traffic violations committed by a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) holder may affect the status of their CDL, regardless of whether the violation was committed in a commercial or non-commercial vehicle. The bill also requires motor carriers to provide positive drug test information to the Department of Public Safety (DPS) and permits DPS to release the information to any person eligible to receive the information under the Motor Vehicle Records Disclosure Act.
Read more about SB 1904

Administrative Penalties for Commercial Motor Vehicles
SB 1184 - Relating to commecial motor vehicles, provides for notification to the violator when a penalty is imposed, an informal hearing, an administrative hearing process, and the disposition of commercial vehicles impounded as a result of delinquent penalties.
Read more about SB 1184

Insurance for Commercial Motor Carriers
SB 1063 - Requires confirmation that all commercial motor carriers whose insurance has been cancelled are not operating, and provides for impounding a carrier's vehicles if the carrier is still operating.
Read more about SB 1063

Reminders:

Texas state law allows you to dismiss one traffic ticket per year (certain restrictions apply) by taking a State-approved defensive driving course.
If you take a defensive driving course purely for the insurance discount, and later you receive a traffic ticket, you are permitted to take another defensive driving course to dismiss the ticket if you haven't dismissed a traffic ticket within the last 12 months in this manner.
Some courts require you to contact the court prior to taking a defensive driving course to dismiss a ticket. By first contacting the court indicated on your citation, you may prevent added delays or extra expenses.
DefensiveDriving.com
DefensiveDriving.com is Texas' original and most trusted online driver safety course - rated #1 in Texas for 2000, 2001, and 2002. Anyone with Internet access can use this State-approved course to dismiss traffic tickets, reduce insurance rates, and become a safer driver. Winner of Ernst & Young's Entrepreneur of the Year® Award, 2003. Ranked on the Houston Business Journal's FastTech 50, 2002 and 2003. Named Website of the Year, 2001 by Michael Garfield, The High-Tech Texan(tm).

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
fuct said:
HB 281 - This bill was to outlaw talking on a cell phone while driving. Even though this bill did not pass, it has received a lot of attention on the Internet.

THESE BILLS DID PASS:

HB 3588 - The Driver Responsibility Program establishes a system that assigns points to moving violations classified as Class C misdemeanors and applies surcharges to offenders based on the type of offense and the time period in which the citation was received. A defensive driving course can remove points from your record, as well as dismiss the ticket.

License Plate Visibility
SB 439 - This bill makes it illegal to add reflective material, lights, emblems, anything that changes the color of the license plate, or makes it difficult to read the lettering of the license plate. Check to make sure your license plate frame does not obscure any portion of the state name or license plate number.
Read more about SB 439

SB 193 - Requires a vehicle operator approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle using flashing lights, on a highway with two or more lanes traveling in the same direction, to vacate the lane closest to the emergency situation or slow to 20 mph below the speed limit or 5 mph when the posted limit is less than 25 mph.
Read more about SB 193

SB 209 - This bill states that a video display that is visible from the driver's seat is illegal. The definition of a video display includes televisions, videodisc players, videocassette players, or similar equipment. The bill does not include mobile navigation systems.
Read more about SB 209
So...alpine and all those guys who make in-dash DVD players will not be happy?!?

btw, nice post. 8)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
bk9 said:
fuct said:

THESE BILLS DID PASS:

License Plate Visibility
Read more about SB 439

Read more about SB 193

Read more about SB 209
So...alpine and all those guys who make in-dash DVD players will not be happy?!?

btw, nice post. 8)

dood I installed my screen in my glovebox!!! you mean to tell me I have been waiting to put my interior back together for 4 months, and now that I have, its illegal!!!! BOOOOO!!!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
10secondIS said:
dood I installed my screen in my glovebox!!! you mean to tell me I have been waiting to put my interior back together for 4 months, and now that I have, its illegal!!!! BOOOOO!!!
Naw man, if it's in the glovebox, the driver can't see it! You're good. :wink: :D

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm not exactly sure what is considered in the drivers field of view???? its really fuggin' silly. i mean the factory nav. in the IS is really in the drivers view. and sum people have hooked up playstations to em and shiet.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
fuct said:
i'm not exactly sure what is considered in the drivers field of view???? its really fuggin' silly. i mean the factory nav. in the IS is really in the drivers view. and sum people have hooked up playstations to em and shiet.
well then technically those PS2's would be illegal. anything within the drivers peripheral vision while sitting in the drivers seat is in the drivers view. so basically the backs of the front two seats, and forward.

therefore my glovebox would be illegal, when its open!!!

that was really the only option i had though.

hey bryan, did you ever clean under your seats?? i just got done putting everything of mine back together and DOOD, you gotta see it!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
10secondIS said:
fuct said:
well then technically those PS2's would be illegal. anything within the drivers peripheral vision while sitting in the drivers seat is in the drivers view. so basically the backs of the front two seats, and forward.

therefore my glovebox would be illegal, when its open!!!

that was really the only option i had though.

hey bryan, did you ever clean under your seats?? i just got done putting everything of mine back together and DOOD, you gotta see it!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
I wanna see it!!!! (I got the seats cleaned, lol).
Give me a ring.
-Bryan

p.s. Did I mention, I WANNA' SEE IT!!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
fuct said:
Racing a Motor Vehicle
HB 1326 - Increases the penalty for racing a motor vehicle on a public highway or street to a Class B misdemeanor; allows for the citation of spectators; requires driver's license suspensions; and compels a person convicted of racing to complete an educational program to be developed by the Texas Education Agency.
Read more about HB 1326
Yikes. They can take my CHL away for this shit!!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the law about the screens says that factory navigation systems are not against the law to have..... but i don't see what makes them any different than a non factory screen???? oh well i have don't have either one, so.....

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
fuct said:
the law about the screens says that factory navigation systems are not against the law to have..... but i don't see what makes them any different than a non factory screen???? oh well i have don't have either one, so.....
because more and more navigation systems have lock outs for when the car is in motion... and they have legal agreements you have to agree to before you even use the nav system to begin with....

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
HoustonLex said:
fuct said:
because more and more navigation systems have lock outs for when the car is in motion... and they have legal agreements you have to agree to before you even use the nav system to begin with....
thats fuggin stupid. they are gunna make you pull over to get directions basically.......

pretty much defeats the whole purpose. if you're gunna pull over, then pull over and ask someone at a gas station. geez the damn PoPo's these days.

G

·
fuct said:
haha bernard needs to read this, everytime hes driving hes scared to use his phone. :lol: :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.