4 doors
approx $26,000
approx 212hp
approx 0-60=6.0
approx availability May 2001

·
Registered
666 Posts
is there going to be a difference between the WRX being released in Japan compared to what's being released in the US?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah - the Japan version will have more power because they have higher quality (and more expensive) gasoline, and less strict emissions standards.

·
Registered
666 Posts
with performance like that...I could learn to like the looks of this car. Of coarse I wonder how it looks all around. Maybe a good body kit could help??

·
Registered
594 Posts
hmmmm...what an interestingly looking car...

I have to agree with wazzup though. I dont think it looks *THAT* bad....it would just take some getting used to.

The foglights aren't too bad, and love the (functional?) hood scoop.
Are those projector lense lights in the headlight? If so, that'd be better than I expected as well. Personally, I didnt like the current Impreza and this to me looks better than that.

But for that price and that performance, this will be a hard car to beat.

I thought it was gonna come out in the US this fall though? also, did someone say no coupes this time around?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
i like the old ones better...the headlights ARE neon headlights...haha. what the hell is subaru doing!! its a nice car though... performance wise.

------------------
Spectra Blue IS300

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yup!! A good body kit will do the trick......The one that covers the whole car up will do......

Originally posted by wazzup:
with performance like that...I could learn to like the looks of this car. Of coarse I wonder how it looks all around. Maybe a good body kit could help??

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Yeah, the hoodscoop should be functional since Subarus use top-mounted IC's...like the former Celica GT-4/All-trac and MR2 turbo.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by JW:
Yeah, the hoodscoop should be functional since Subarus use top-mounted IC's...like the former Celica GT-4/All-trac and MR2 turbo.
Where was the old MR2's Top mounted intercooler exactly? did lots of tubing bring that air back to the engine, or are you talking roof mounted?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The old Turbo & Supercharged MR2
intercoolers were just mounted along the rear hood. They counted on a vacuum being created above the hood by airflow over the car. Sort of an airplane wing venturi kind of effect. Also they had a scoop on the side of the car that blew air into the engine compartment and back out through the intercooler.

Some people have put fans under the intercooler, or add on scoops above (and redirect the airflow) in an attempt to improve the airflow through the intercooler.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Scoops like those snorkel things I've seen on some riced-out MR2's?

·
Registered
220 Posts
ROAD & TRACK Magazine / August 2000 Issue / Pages 66 and 67:

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

"What's the most desired Japanese performance car in America today? The Nissan Skyline GT-R and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI will certainly garner more than a few votes, but so will the Subaru Impreza WRX - based on the World Rally Championship car - that has wowed enthusiasts in Japan and Europe (not to mention a few of us here) with its awesome all-wheel-drive handling traits and tremendous acceleration. Unfortunately, Subaru didn't market the WRX in the U.S., giving us the less potent 2.5 RS instead. However, we hear that when the next-generation Impreza mkes its debut this year, a high-powered WRX will be included in the U.S. lineup.

Subaru is putting the final touches on the next Impreza, according to our friends at 'Magazine X' of Japan. They showed us computer-enhanced photos of a sedan in the midst of testing. The car is seen with an aggressive hood scoop and sporty 17-in. alloy wheels. Look closely and you can make out gold-colored Brembo brake calipers behind the wheel spokes. The Japanese-market car will pack a 280-horsepower turbocharged flat-4.

U.S.-spec WRXs will receive a slightly milder version of the engine - producing anywhere from 220 to 250 horsepower. We're hoping that the company's 6-speed manual transmission will find its way into the drivetrain. Despite the engine's lower output, Subaru says the 2700-lb. sedan will be capable of a zero-to-60 mph time of under 5 seconds and will run the quarter mile in less than 14.

With aggressively flared wheel arches, the new Impreza will be slightly wider than the current car, but overall length will remain the same at about 171 in. Wheelbase will grow to 101 in., which usually translates to more interior room. The next Impreza is scheduled to hit dealer showrooms in the spring of next year."

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, well - I think they goofed on that "under 5 second" bit. I think that was talking about the real Japan 280hp+ WRX, not the approx 212-220hp version that we will get.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts