Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be looking in the wrong places but it would seem there is no easy way to link to the forums from the homepage anymore.

Maybe I'm partial or biased because I architect site navigation for a living but I think this is a concern for more than just me.

Webmaster please let me know your take on this.

You've got an incredible site, with fantastic content but seems a little hard to get around after the redesign.

I'll kindly accept a couple of stickers for my white IS in exchange for my advice

Keep up the good work. These forums are great!

[ March 28, 2001: Message edited by: toofaust2 ]

·
Registered
994 Posts
I missed that the very first day it was changed. I kept looking in the middle for links, but couldn't see any. Now, it's looking pretty sweet. This forum upgrade is bad ass.

--k

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeh, I was able to find the forums when my mouse cursor accidently went over the chronograph. Only then did I figure out there were links in that pic. Although it was slightly difficult to find, it sure looks cool.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Yeah,

I have told numerous people about this site and all of them could not find the Forums because it was in the chronograph.....

Some people arent familiar with the IS chrono so they dont even look there....

the Pic looks nice but maybe a new navigation Bar at the top should be looked into.....

just my .02

·
Registered
120 Posts
Me too. It took me a few days
to notice the small lettering
on the chronograph after the
new look was introduced. But
it sure looks cool.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
If you knew where the old navigation was and how it looked im sure you would be smart enough to at least move your mouse over the old spot...considering the chrono has words around it, not that hard. If you didnt know now you do. Its on the chrono. Keep it up tony its tight.

·
Registered
169 Posts
May I suggest that you:

Phase 1, add a white layer with proper opacity atop the distracting background (3 chronographes and MPH markings). Maybe even a little bit of blurring. After that's done, you can make the menu titles a bit more prominent.

Phase 2, in addition to the mouse-over you have now, you can make the tach needle swings to whatever menu item being highlighted.

Originally posted by webmaster:
People seem to miss the fact that the links are in the chronograph...I guess it's not obvious enough...

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by S20002IS300:
Phase 1, add a white layer with proper opacity atop the distracting background (3 chronographes and MPH markings). Maybe even a little bit of blurring. After that's done, you can make the menu titles a bit more prominent.
I don't want to obscure the detail of the gauges, but I am working on making the text more visible.

Phase 2, in addition to the mouse-over you have now, you can make the tach needle swings to whatever menu item being highlighted.
Haha, no. I'd have to cut out the needle and shadow - which isn't the worse part. Then I'd have to change at least two images of the four since to make the needle move since the needle crosses at least that many images.

What I may do is replace the entire top bar with a flash animation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right after I posted this I figured it out. Felt a little stupid once I did.

It's a cool idea. I think all it needs is a little more contrast between the links and the background so they stand out.

The moving needle idea would be unreal, I'd love to see that, but you'd probably have to go with flash to pull it off really well. If it was done in Flash you could add some engine reving event sounds, OK enough already, I'd never get any work done.

Flash navigation opens up a whole different can of worms I don't think you want to deal with though.

Clever idea overall, especially for the nature of the site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
toofaust2
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing