Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo bro's..

I installed New Zinc plated Genuine Brembo Drilled & Slotted rotors on the car.. .MAN those badboyz look gorgeous all plated like that.... :eek: :crazy:

anyhow... i need a refresher on the proper bedding in procedures....

PS.. i ALSO installed AXXIS Ultimate Front brake pads & AXXIS Metal Master rr pads....

so i need a bit of advice on proper breakin....

THANKS youse guys :D

edg

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you've just installed a big brake kit or even if you've only changed your brake pads and rotors, you should "bed" them in by following the instructions below. Proper bedding of brakes will improve pedal feel, reduce or eliminate brake squeal, and extend the life of your pads and rotors.

When following these instructions, please avoid doing it in the presence of other vehicles. Breaking in your new pads and rotors is often best done very early in the morning, since other drivers will have no idea what you are up to and will respond in a variety of ways ranging from fear to curiosity to aggression. And an officer of the law will probably not understand when you try to explain why you were driving so erratically!

From a speed of about 60mph, gently apply the brakes to slow the car down to about 45mph, then accelerate back up to 60mph and repeat. Do this about four or five times to bring the brakes up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.

Make a series of eight near-stops from 60 to about 10 mph. Do it HARD by pressing on the brakes firmly, just shy of locking the wheels or engaging ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! (Note: With less aggressive street pads and/or stock brake calipers, you may need to do this fewer times. If your pedal gets soft or you feel the brakes going away, then you've done enough. Proceed to the next step.)

During this process, you must not come to a complete stop because you will transfer (imprint) pad material onto the hot rotors, which can lead to vibration, uneven braking, and could even ruin the rotors.

Depending on the pads you are using, the brakes may begin to fade slightly after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A bad smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.

After the 8th near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and drive around for as long as possible without using the brakes. The brakes will need at least 10 minutes to cool down. Obviously, it's OK to use the brakes to avoid an accident, but try to minimize their use until they have cooled.

After the break-in cycle, there should be a blue tint and a light gray film on the rotor face. The blue tint tells you the rotor has reached break-in temperature and the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face. This is what you are looking for. The best braking occurs when there is an even layer of of pad material deposited across the face of the rotors. This minimizes squealing, increases braking torque, and maximizes pad and rotor life.

After the first break in cycle shown above, the brakes may still not be fully broken in. A second bed-in cycle, AFTER the brakes have cooled down fully from the first cycle, may be necessary before the brakes really start to perform well. If you've just installed a big brake kit, the pedal travel may not feel as firm as you expected. After the second cycle, the pedal will become noticeably firmer.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Hey Ed, switch to the Deluxe pads. They have very little dust and still have great bite for braking. (The Ulitmate pads are dusty and are for performance/racing). Call Matt at StopTech and he can ship them to you for about $50

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks bro ... good tip i heard these were some Dusty beyatches.... :D
i will go for those next time...... who knew....?

i paid 320 for front &rear... here they are

Both f&r :

Rear mounted:

Front Mounted:

yep... real brembo's :wink:

I will look for my reciept & let u know who i got them from,.... it was an auction on Ebay...co called "Sportbrakes" i think....

Hope all is well Greg!! you should come out for a canyon run with us.....put those BADASS brakes ya got to WORK!!! :crazy:

edgy

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Ooooooooo, me likey!! :D Did you do the install yourself? I have been trying to make the canyon runs, but something always comes up and then I can't make it. Let me know when the next one is.

That zinc coating won't burn off?

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the next one is tomorrow at 3 pm meeting in Woodland hills check out the post on Mulholland i nthe "west " forum....

& the Zinc plating actually does burn off the face or the rotor... it is scrubbed off the face of the rotors...obviously by the pads but then the little strip left on the rotor near the hub that is not touched by the pads did lift & peel off sort flake away after my bedding in process...

I also noticed that the edges of the rotors are not all shiny & shitt like they were..... they look more a duller grey now... that was only the front tho so far.... the rears are only missing Zinc on the area scrubbed by the pads....

edg

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
turnip8snatch - If you don't write instructions for a living...you should. Good stuff!!

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Ahhhh...very sweet looking setup u got there! Keep those updates coming 8)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
edgy said:
thanks bro ... good tip i heard these were some Dusty beyatches.... :D
i will go for those next time...... who knew....?

i paid 320 for front &rear... here they are

Both f&r :

Rear mounted:

Front Mounted:

yep... real brembo's :wink:

I will look for my reciept & let u know who i got them from,.... it was an auction on Ebay...co called "Sportbrakes" i think....

Hope all is well Greg!! you should come out for a canyon run with us.....put those BADASS brakes ya got to WORK!!! :crazy:

edgy
i just got a set of these bad boys too and i was wondering what direction to mount these........is there a correct way the slots should face?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
1NewLexIS300 said:
i just got a set of these bad boys too and i was wondering what direction to mount these........is there a correct way the slots should face?
Yes, if you look at the pictures, they are directional. The way that Ed has them mounted is the correct way.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep i thunk i did it right.......thx Obb...

just make them look like the pics & you are set these pics are of the right side of the car in case you were wondering......

edgy

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
whatever you do, don't get EBC green pads for these. The pads are too hard for these rotors and will give you problems down the road, (premature wear on the surface, warping, etc...)

Just a little FYI...

Kane

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Dogman :wink: .. .i have heard those are dusty as hell like the axxis ultimates which might suggest they were "softer" * wear faster so might not have a large impact o nthe roto.....?

but i will take your word ... ... that is good info...!

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Dogman :wink: .. .i have heard those are dusty as hell like the axxis ultimates which might suggest they were "softer" * wear faster so might not have a large impact on the rotor........?

but i will take your word ... ... that is good info...!

edg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts