Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ... I just needed some advice. Since I need new brake pads, I was going to get some aftermarket rotors and brake pads. I would opt for a big brake kit, but since I will probably sell the car in about 2 years after I pay it off, this is the logical step for me to take. What I wanted to know is ... is there a big difference in brands such as irotors, stoptech, and the other companies? Which one is better ... cross slotted, cross drilled, or both cross drilled/slotted? I just wanted a direct replacement without having to get additional brake lines. Just pads and rotors. If I did get aftermarket rotors, could I just get stock Lexus pads or should I go for the aftermarket pads as well. Thanks for any help guys.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
I really don't think there's much of a difference. Pretty much everyone uses a blank from the same company and then cuts it...

The Irotors have a zinc plating that will prevent rust initially...
The drilled ones are more susceptible to cracking...so if you're worried about that, just get a slotted one.

As for pads, if you're concerned with brake dust, then the EBC Greenstuff is good. If not, then that Axis Ultimate is what a lot of people use.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the rust will eventually come right? does anyone know where the cheapest place is to purchase the rotors and pads?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
turbonamja said:
so the rust will eventually come right? does anyone know where the cheapest place is to purchase the rotors and pads?
I would paint any set of rotors you get...you already have them off the car, just paint em with brake rotor or caliper paint before slappin em on the car.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SophieSleeps said:
turbonamja said:
I would paint any set of rotors you get...you already have them off the car, just paint em with brake rotor or caliper paint before slappin em on the car.
when you talk about painting them with rotor/caliper paint, are you talking about a clear coat protectant? similar to a clear rust protectant? thanks again.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
turbonamja said:
when you talk about painting them with rotor/caliper paint, are you talking about a clear coat protectant? similar to a clear rust protectant? thanks again.
You can try a can of plastikote caliper paint...it'll provide a layer so water won't get to the metal..that's all you're really looking for. You can do clear if you want.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VHT paint can be bought at any auto dealers right such as auto zone? Did you use the same paint to paint that part of the caliper black as well? Sorry for all the questions, just want to do it right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts