Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys/gals seen the 3Z article in the Nov. edition of R&T magazine? It features several tuner 3Zs and compares them side by side. I believe 3 of the 4 cars were F/I, but there was one car that did not go the F/I route, but the weight reduction route for the most part. Of course, this NA car had the usual intake/exhaust upgrades, but did not have any FI stuff.

The long and the short of it is that the R&T editors were versy surprised at how well the N/A car performed against its F/I rivals. In fact, the 1/4 time and trap speed was comprable, if not better, than the other tuner cars. Also, the driveability in the car was better, as it didn't feature the usual spikes in the power band that you would normally see in a F/I car. In addition to the aforementioned I/E combo, this particular tuner 3Z had a lighter flywheel, lighter wheels and lighter pulleys (=rotational mass).

So, I'm wondering whether it would be better to invest money in saving weight (and freeing the lost hp) instead of spending double or triple the money and going F/I as the IS's first set of modifications. The way I see it, if you spend a total of $2000 for weight saving (see breakdown below), then you've not only freed up enough lost hp to compete against the entry S/C systems out there, but also preserve the near 50/50 weight distribution of the car. In addition, you reserve freedom to go F/I if you want in the future because these modifications will serve you well in the F/I realm also.

Breakdown:
$1000: Volk Racing TE-37
$500: Lightweight Flywheel
$500: Unorthodox SS Pully Set

Just to reiterate, I think the $2000 you spend here will free up enough lost hp to compete with the entry S/C mods. Of course, before everyone says F/I is the better route to go, I'm not comparing stage 2, 3, etc. F/I system. But for the money, the reliability, and the performance, I don't think this combo can be beat. I would like to hear all your opinions about this.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
not trying to burst your bubble, but with only lightened wheels, flywheels, or pullys you can't beat a stage 1 S/C. weight modifications should included completely gutting the interior, remov seats, A/C, radio. thats weight reduction. but then you don't have a lexus anymore.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
What did the NA Z have done to it in terms of weight savings? did it only have the wheels flywheel, pulley? or was it gutted as well?

I like the idea of weight reduction because it not only benefits accelleration but it improves handling as well..... but i agree with fuct.... its not worth it because you will lose all of the luxury amenities that make the car a lexus and a good daily driver.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the mag in front of me now.

The Motorex Z didn't have a gutted interior. The ONLY modifications it had were (other than bodywork) new camsharfts, a lighter flywheel, a cold air intake, and Volk wheels. That's it.

For comparison, Motorex went 0-60/1/4 mile in 5.1/13.7 secs, whereas the Stillen (S/C) went in 5.3/13.8 secs. The Stillen, for your info, got 354 bhp and 318 lb-ft, which is about 70 horses more than stock. Still don't think rotational weight savings is worth the price?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
those numbers don't seem to add up. That's surprising results for the Z, but our cars are not 350z's. People have done pulleys, wheels, etc.--all the stuff you plan on doing, and don't have significantly faster IS300's. Weight reduction is cool, but I don't think you're going to get the results you're expecting with the IS300. There are a lot of ways to lose weight w/o gutting. You could do C/F hood, lightweight seats, and the things you mentioned and lose a decent amount of weight, 100-150lbs. From what i've read, the pulleys won't work too well, but I have no first hand experience.

Either way, you're NOT going to be getting the performance of even a stage 1 s/c or t/c.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.