Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
how will it help in tuning the car?

the only way i could see is if you wanted to know if you were getting the system to rich or system to lean CEL. you can find that out by just playing with the afc settings and see what keeps the CEL off. anyways, lmk your thoughts

-gte

BigRick said:
Check this thing out. I was watching TechTV and they showed this. This would be great to help in tuning your car. Is should be available in a couple of weeks.

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/carchip.asp

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
carchip

you answered your own question.

I don't have an AFC or CEL.

It should help in getting a ballpark figure on 1/4 times. Compute gas mileage. Let you know about hard braking.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Re: carchip

BigRick said:

It should help in getting a ballpark figure on 1/4 times. Compute gas mileage. Let you know about hard braking.
I think you have the wrong idea of why this CarChip can be useful. It's not really going to tell you 1/4 times or g's experienced by braking. This device isn't trying to be a G-tech pro. It's an OBD2 scan tool that's cheaper than most scan tools, although it's not the cheapest. It's nice because it doesn't require plugging a cable from the OBD2 port to a laptop while driving to record data. However you won't be able to log data in real time, which can be annoying if you are really tuning.

If you don't know about OBD2 parameters and what the ECU does with these signals, you probably won't have much use for it. Like GTE said, this device is only going to be useful if you have a CEL and what to know what's causing it or you have an AFC and want to play around with the values by looking at the fuel trims stored on the ECU. There's more to this but I want to keep this short. There are other values stored that you can have fun with if you like to record and analyze data. Actually you can record acceleration and deceleration indirectly, which is probably what the website is talking about. For example, if you got in an accident and you had this device, someone can download the data of when you were in the accident and see how fast your speed slowed down to determine the conditions of the accident.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Re: carchip

i answered my own question, but put it in a perspective as to why it isn't needed for such a thing, and would be $1xx.00 dollars that would be much better spent on dyno tuning.
it won't help at all for 1/4 mile, gas mileage or hard braking, it does not have an accelerometer in it

-gte

BigRick said:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
carchip

First of all I want to thank all who responded with info. You guys really know your stuff. I love how people on this and every other forum I've read take everything to the extreme. :shame:
I just thought it was an interesting device. I did not mention anywhere that I was going to buy one Aubie.As far as the AFC goes I would have to buy 3 of them, one for My SY IS300, one for my 1988 Supra and one for my 87 Turbo II RX all which are completly stock.

just thought that there are some people out there who might have some use for it. Like parents who can now monitor their kids driving habits by installing this without the kids knowing.

Again thanks for the info.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
it definitely can record childrens driving speed, but would you want that on your car when you were in that position? i know i wouldn't, i drove like a jackass then, still do sometimes.

-gte

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
BigRick
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing