Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, what is ECU? I see and have read many posts about TRAC/ECU updates. I understand the problams and what TRAC is from reading up on the car, but what does ECU stand for?

I have seen a 7.7 sec 0-60 time...I want to say I have read where it is closer to 7 seconds....any info on times you have seen in mags, etc. would be appreciated. I know 0-60 isn't an end-all-be-all, but curious about it anyway. Any 1/4 mile times, too? I mean on stock, not mods.

Is the Ivory trim hard to keep clean?

I am waiting to buy in a few months, and am seriously considering the 2002 manual. I would hope Lexus will address the TRAC/ECU problems by then....Also considering a 330ci and E36 M3, probably '99.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Going to test drive one in the next week, along with 330ci.

Many thanks in advance....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The ECU in this case is the part of the computer that controls the shifting... ivory trim, from what ive heard and seen, is alot harder to keep clean than black. TRAC/ECU problems have been resolved in newer 2001's
Hope this helps

·
8,107 Posts
Make sure you test drive a 330Ci with the new fixed steering (post April production?).
I wouldn't worry about 0-60 times, some of the newer reviews have faster times, maybe Lexus is ironing bugs. The car 'feels' faster than 7.7 sec 0-60. The manual should be closer to 6.5 sec.

Originally posted by tbaker:
First off, what is ECU? I see and have read many posts about TRAC/ECU updates. I understand the problams and what TRAC is from reading up on the car, but what does ECU stand for?

I have seen a 7.7 sec 0-60 time...I want to say I have read where it is closer to 7 seconds....any info on times you have seen in mags, etc. would be appreciated. I know 0-60 isn't an end-all-be-all, but curious about it anyway. Any 1/4 mile times, too? I mean on stock, not mods.

Is the Ivory trim hard to keep clean?

I am waiting to buy in a few months, and am seriously considering the 2002 manual. I would hope Lexus will address the TRAC/ECU problems by then....Also considering a 330ci and E36 M3, probably '99.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Going to test drive one in the next week, along with 330ci.

Many thanks in advance....

·
Registered
349 Posts
As the time to trade my IS for the manual model comes closer, I’ve started contemplating again if I should get a BMW 330ci instead. So, I began researching and found out the reason why I didn’t do it in the first place. Base MSRP is just under $36,000 for the 330ci. But once you load it with comparable equipment, the price jumps to around $40,000+TT&L!!!
Even the freaking metallic paint and HID lights are optional (as in extra $$) equipment.

Nice car, but what a rip off! Still, wish I could afford it though.

Peace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Gennady
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing