Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone picked this up yet? i pre-ordered it at my shop, but they are having problems installing it in my 2001.. anyone else had that problem?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I actually just saw this on crutchfield the other day, when u get that done post some pics up plzzzz =).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm interested as well. Planning on getting one one of these as soon as I can find one. They just now became available online but I've got a bunch of gift cards I want to use so I'm waiting for them to ship to the stores.

I'm kinda picky about my stereo and this one seems like the only tasteful looking double din stereo available right now... unless you pay 2x as much and get a nav unit.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Well, more like you buy a nav and you get a DVD player .... but I digress.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for the people who care, i just got it installed today.. bluetooth works great.. sounds sound like you're on speaker from the other side of your call.. menu is a little complexed.. one feature i loved the most was the transfer phonebook.. only thing missing is a number keypad.. anyways.. heres the pics..

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
looks cool w/ your blue gauges, a ton brighter though. is there a dimmer setting?
just ordered mine the other day, should get it and install it this week

·
Registered
595 Posts
yea ive got this headunit too, i got installed with the JDM double din kit and i like thus far, i love the 4 volt pre amp outputs but sumtimes my bluetooth wont connect for sum reason ??? its a cool unit though love the USB feature but scrolling through the ipod for songs can prove time consuming at times...

·
Registered
31 Posts
just installed mine last night but got a minor problem. The plug for the radio antenna on this unit is on the back right side (stock stereo is on back left) and the cord for the antenna is about 5 inches too short to reach to the other side and there is no slack to pull it out farther. Is there extension cords for this odd type of plug? Did you guys have this problem also?

·
Registered
595 Posts
yea i had the same problem getting that wire to reach all the way...........i just pulled on it (every so slightly) and then cut the other wire that it was tied in with and even though a miracle i didnt rip the wire i ended up with enough slack to make it work. are u running aftermarket amplifiers too ? i found it a little bit of a challenge when i went to put it back in and the kicker RCA's stuck out a bit too far, how did you wire it from the stock wire harness, did you get an aftermarket harness or did you tie into the power, remote and ground wire from the factory harness ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not running an aftermarket amp. i just cut into the stock radio harness for the power, acc, illumination and ground. Then after removing the stock amp (MAJOR PITA, btw) i just cut into the stock amp harness and ran new wire for the front speakers from there to the head unit, spliced all that into the new pioneer harness.
Currently running without rears. Probably gonna go pick up a pair this weekend.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not running an aftermarket amp. i just cut into the stock radio harness for the power, acc, illumination and ground. Then after removing the stock amp (MAJOR PITA, btw) i just cut into the stock amp harness and ran new wire for the front speakers from there to the head unit, spliced all that into the new pioneer harness.
Currently running without rears. Probably gonna go pick up a pair this weekend.
So you bypassed the stock amp? Anyway to integrate aftermarket deck to stock amp?

·
Registered
31 Posts
So you bypassed the stock amp? Anyway to integrate aftermarket deck to stock amp?
Bypassed, yeah. I actually removed the stock amp entirely. I -think- there is a metra wiring harness that lets you keep the stock amp with an aftermarket stereo but you still have to do some splicing to get that to work. Theres some talk about it in another thread... I wouldn't recommend keeping the stock amp though. The front speakers sound so much better running off my new pioneer. They can put out quite a bit of bass too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The metra amp integration module worked fine on my 03IS300. The antenna wiring is tied off to something on the left side of the dash. You should be able to unfasten it from the dash and it will reach just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, I'm new here and this is the first time I'm thinking of installing something in my car.

I see the P8000BT on Amazon for about $240 or so. I'm fine with that, but does anyone know the approximated installation costs?

Also, it seems like by live2dieanotherday's pics, that they will take out the whole cd/cassette player system and install this. I'm fine with that as well.

What I don't get is the people that mention some "double din" kit or something. Do I need to get one of those as well to get this unit installed? Or can they install it just by taking out my cd/cassette player system and replace it with this? :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts