Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my paint is starting to fade in many places...yes do to lack of upkeep...sorry guys

Originally I was thinking of repainting all together...even in a totally different color(always wanted a white or black IS)

OR...

Would just getting the paint job touched up and blended in to match with a few clear coats be a better idea?

There is a Fact O Bake fairly close to where I live and I have heard really good things about their work

Any suggestions guys...or possible colors I could repaint my IS?

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
Do you have money to spend on painting the whole car?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the thing, Fact O Bake is a chain like MAACO. They have set painting package prices that vary depending on how many coats of paint and clear you want. Price also changes if you choose a more expensive finish (candy, pearl, matte, etc)

Being a chain like MAACO however makes me weary of them because the MAACO in LA sucks and is a ripoff. I have only heard good things about the Fact O Bake though. The painting packages for a whole car are relatively cheap and leave room for me to had a better finish without spending a buttload of cash.

I think I would prefer a newly painted car of a different color but I am a big fan of the IBP color as well.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
If you have the money to re-paint the whole car, you should go with that route. Paint it white pearl!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have the money to re-paint the whole car, you should go with that route. Paint it white pearl!

You would suggest the one of the most expensive finishes this place has to offer...the guy said pearl raises the price around the 2000 range...which isn't bad really, but just less money I can use elsewhere...

White pearl would be a nice color though I suppose...:cool:

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
I dont know a reputable body shop will charge near 4 grand for a repaint and thats if I bring the car in with out any panels or interior and only one seat. Not to mention not painting the hood.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, there are some shops around here that will charge upwards of 4K for a paint job, but I really am not looking to spend that amount of money on paint when I have other mods needing/wanting to be done.

Then again, I don't know if I should take a chance of Fact O Back with their cheap prices even though their warranties range from 18 months to 4 years.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might I suggest buying a pearl white IS, pealing the paint off of it and gluing it onto your car?

I ALMOST want to +Rep you for the unique answer my friend :approve:

·
Registered
930 Posts
-What are your plans for the car?
... if you plan on getting a body kit/lip kit in the near future then you might as well wait and have it all painted at once.
If you plan on keeping the body pretty much stock then what about wheels?
... different kinds/colors of wheels will go better with different colors.
What type of look are you going for?
... aggressive, smooth, super clean etc etc.

I think all these questions play a big part in what color you decide to go with the car.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do plan on replacing the front bumper, maybe a bodykit. I will definitely purchase and fit before painting. Wheels are a mod I been putting off bc I feel I need other mods first. I painted my stocks black and I believe they will hold me over on wheels for a while. Either way I am HIGHLY biased towards only 5 spoke wheels which I believe with every color I am considering for my body will look good together.

I only have 3 basic colors in mind - white, black, or blue (IBP)...maybe different shades, don't really know what finish I want

I really just want a clean or smooth looking car. I wanna stand out without saying WOW without my car being loud and blinding. I also dont mind blending in and only sticking out if you are looking for a sharp car. Make sense? just wanna be :cool:

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
if you change the color of your car then it's going to cost much more. let's not forget that your engine bay won't match either. I say paint it the same color and skip the door jams cause i doubt those are messed up anyways.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you change the color of your car then it's going to cost much more. let's not forget that your engine bay won't match either. I say paint it the same color and skip the door jams cause i doubt those are messed up anyways.

Yeah, they charge more for the door jams and dont even touch the engine bay, unless you specifically tell them too, but that makes the price sky rocket

I really like the IBP, and I'll be happy as long as it shines once again

I was thinkin of painting it white...leaving the jams and bay IBP and throwing some gold wheels on it....is that riced enough? :p

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The place says they can color match and specific paints don't affect cost, but I'm wondering if the "pearl" aspect will change my price any? He didn't mention anything of that nature on the phone.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I don't know if I am willing to get a blue that wont shine like IBP though. I guess I need to call and find out what finishes cost what.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
any picture of your car in current state?

can a nice claybar/wax job save the paint for the next little while?
I recently waxed it, and I plan on putting a claybar to it when I get off and have some good weather too. I believe it will make a difference but I also have some body damage from I guess you can call it an "at-fault" accident.

Paint and bodywork should of been taken care of a while back but, certain aspects of life came up that I was objected to take car of first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.