Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

well we just bought a 2002 is300
in graphite/black. i am very new to this forum and to this great car. what are basics as far as break-in, general maintenance, mods, etc. please fill me in.

many thanks... nityabond

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by nityabond:
hi all,

well we just bought a 2002 is300
in graphite/black. i am very new to this forum and to this great car. what are basics as far as break-in, general maintenance, mods, etc. please fill me in.

many thanks... nityabond
Congrats!
First off, sell the 318ti, it's a termite in sheeps' clothing.
Next get in your IS and drive it like you stole it.

My afternoon plans consist of doing just that.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Look in your owners manual, if it is any thing like the '01, keep it under 4k rpm and no more than 65mph (impossible!!!!!!!!!) I followed it to the "T", except for a few exceptions, I did come close to red line, but never kept it ther long enough to make a difference, the motor is taht smooth and hard to hear the revving. Do this for the first 1k miles and open her up "fast and Furious", now get out there and start logging those miles.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nice cars you've got there!
Did you get a 5-speed or automatic? I think we actually need to see pictures for the proof of ownership

As far as advice is concerned, I'd take a week off, and read every post in general discussion and go fast forums for the last year. Try to stay away from parking lot... That place is a trap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info.

you are right. it is impossible to keep the lex below 65mph! i bought it from keyes in van nuys. i am in the process of selling the m coupe for the s2000 (fell in love after i test drove it). the m will be gone by wednesday... and then the s should come about a week or so after that. i use the 318ti to get me from la to the bay area. it is really not that bad of car but i can tell that the 4-banger is at its limit on the i5. i live in la on the weekends and work in the bay on the weekdays (i know the grapevine like the back of my hand). by the way... purchasing the lex was the best dealer experience i have ever had. i have bought from several bmw dealers... and they can't even come close.

questions i have are as follows:

- what type of oil to use to top off?
- what is the oil burn rate of a new lex is300?

thanks again.

later... nitya007

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
burn rate is VERY low... almost as low as my civic... keep in mind how i drive (see the first post), hard on the gas, high reving, and I never really lose much between changes. Not even 1/2 a quart i'd guess. I switched to synthetic at 1k miles, and have been using either mobil 1 or penzoil sytec, although I'm trying to use only mobil 1...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks again man.

regarding mobil 1... i used to own an e36 m3... and i only used to use mobil 1. then i found out through the bmw clan that they changed the formula in mobil 1 and noticed it burning about a quart or more in 2000 miles. i changed to castrol syntech 10w30 (california) and never had a burning issue again. now i will only use castrol syntech.

just my 0.02.

thanks again... nitya007

1 - 8 of 8 Posts