Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im 16 and just got an is300 msm color. i tryed to wash it with the soap everyone said its great (start with a M) i did a bad job!! for some reason i put a scratch on it :oops: and left water makes and i was using 100% cotton. well any advice in future washing and info on waxing and also i have this machine buffer my bro have. would that make swirls on my car??? (plz go in detail in waxing. you know im dumb if i cant even wash a car rite.)

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
www.autopia.com <--All you need to know.

Don't ask anyone here, they all swear by Zaino or some other horseshit. Go to Autopia and learn from the experts.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
take your time is a big thing. you rush through it and do a half ass job it will come out bad. as for water spots rinse the car down once more right beofre you are going to dry it, dry it with a wiper balde, shamio, and cotton cloth. thats what i do never have water spots.

·
Twisties Addict
13,069 Posts
ChinoXS203 said:
take your time is a big thing. you rush through it and do a half ass job it will come out bad. as for water spots rinse the car down once more right beofre you are going to dry it, dry it with a wiper balde, shamio, and cotton cloth. thats what i do never have water spots.
or an micro fiber rag!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
yeah those are real good. thats what i use to finish off my wax job, take the wax off with cotton then a final buff with the microfibre. that stuff buffs better then the cotton

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thanx for the info. ill try to follow all the steps.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
using armor interior cleaner on the dash and their uv protection wipes are ok rite?? no damage will go to my car rite??

·
Registered
25,542 Posts
van48 said:
using armor interior cleaner on the dash and their uv protection wipes are ok rite?? no damage will go to my car rite??
I have heard ppl say that it eventually leads to cracking... I use viynlex it comes in a little baby blue spray bottle and while your at it pick up some lexol for the leather on your seats (same bottle but orange). 8)

www.lexol.com

·
Registered
548 Posts
do not use the buffer on your car. it does not need it.
if you are washing at home you can add some vinegar and water together to do a final hand rinse. thise will get the waterspots off. If you are at the spray car wash, spend the extra dollar for the spot free rinse. thats what it is... is a low mineral rinse that has less calcium in it and wont make spots.

If your house has a water softener in it, there should be a hose faucet on it. you can hook up to that for your final rinse and that will help to not have hard water spots.

good luck

·
Registered
375 Posts
Never ever wash your car in the sun.

And don't drag the hose across the paint!

While I'm at it... 16 with an IS?? Someone is pampered. Try working for what you have.... then maybe you'd appreciate it more and LEARN to do things on your own.

·
Registered
36 Posts
B-Lexusfan said:
Never ever wash your car in the sun.

And don't drag the hose across the paint!

While I'm at it... 16 with an IS?? Someone is pampered. Try working for what you have.... then maybe you'd appreciate it more and LEARN to do things on your own.
Here, here. The biggest thing no matter whether you have the right soap or equipment if you don't take your time it's going to SUCK. I will admit having a IS at 16 does lead one to think WHUT THE HELLLLL :eek: .

Take your time, eat your vitamins, and get plenty of rest :shame: because you probably may not be use to the hard work at 16(or maybe you are).

Make us proud young man. We will be awaiting pics from the finish job.

P.S. No sex in da back of da lex. :shame:

·
Registered
360 Posts
van48 said:
hey guys im 16 and just got an is300 msm color. i tryed to wash it with the soap everyone said its great (start with a M) i did a bad job!! for some reason i put a scratch on it :oops: and left water makes and i was using 100% cotton. well any advice in future washing and info on waxing and also i have this machine buffer my bro have. would that make swirls on my car??? (plz go in detail in waxing. you know im dumb if i cant even wash a car rite.)
Some things that I've learned since owning my IS300:

-Don't use a lot of soap. Using more than the recommended amount seems to leave streaks on the car after it has dried.
-Don't wax too often. Although you'd think that this would be a good thing, it can be bad for your paint. Use up/down strokes when buffing out the wax. Wash weekly, wax every 1-1.5 months. Polish every 6 months if necessary.
-Terry cloth towels seem to dry better and absorb more than the cotton diapers, and are MUCH cheaper. Don't rub hard when drying the car... this can lead to scratches.
-Soap down a couple of panels at a time, then rinse with a hose. Don't use a sprayer when rinsing, just use a hose with no attachments and let the water sheet the soap off. Soaping the whole car first and rinsing seems to let soap dry and can leave marks on the car.
-Detailing spray works great on removing dried wax (thanks, IS300.net)
-Orbital buffers are good only if you know how to use them. If not, stay as far away from them as possible (ever see a car with those huge swirls in the paint?)
-Cleaning the car should go in this order: Wash, glaze, wax. Remember that polishing thins the paint, so only polish 1-2 times per year if needed.
-Turtle wax and over the counter Xymol sucks. :)

Just some random tips that I think help. Your mileage may vary.
8)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:

Don't ask anyone here, they all swear by Zaino or some other horseshit. Go to Autopia and learn from the experts.
i think you need to check your link :lol:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
IS-300-Rulez said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:

Oh snap!

www.autopia.ORG !

Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts