Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I am in the market for my first car and as soon as i found out that a used IS300 was in my budget i started researching it. Now i know Lexus is very reliable and the car has hardly any faults to it. Now the question is, when it comes time for regular maintence will i have to spend alot more to repair the car b/c it has the Lexus tag on it?

The other option is the new Mazda 3 (i know i know, its a big jump from the IS300 to the 3 but hear me out). The Mazda 3 has a few things that the IS300 wont:
-Zero Kilometers (will be a new car for me)
-Zero Problems for a while
-GREAT on gas
-Sweet Interior

Now thats where my first question comes in again. Its between a NEW car OR a used car that might need some repairs when i get it.

Anyone able to shoot out some advice on how much MORE i can expect to pay to repair a IS300 (lets say the breaks need replacing on both cars, or the suspention, or somethign bigger, what kind of price difference will i look at between a mazda and a lexus?)

Some Pro's i see in the Lexus
-Power
-RWD
-Handling/Performance
-I can stare at one for hours

Cons
-Gas mileage
-Maintence cost? i dont know, u tell me if its a con
-Winter Driving

PS. if it makes a difference, which im sure it doesnt, im in canada

Peace,
Steve

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
If the IS has low miles, you still have factory warranty. If you find a certified used Lexus, it will have even a longer warranty. Something to consider.

·
8,849 Posts
Expect higher maintenance cost than you would with Mazda.
If you take your car to a dealer, be prepared to spend 3 times as much as you normally would.
One of the cons of IS300 is tire life and need for 2 separate sets of tires/wheels for summer/winter seasons.
The joy the IS brings, however, is very much worth it. 8)

If I was to make similar choice, I'd take the IS in a blink of an eye.
I traded my 2001 IS for 2003 one. One of the last things I was worried about is the reliability.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vlad_a said:
If you take your car to a dealer, be prepared to spend 3 times as much as you normally would.
Are you saying repairs will cost 3 times MORE then the mazda, OR that it will cost me 3 times more then it SHOULD if i bring it into a dealership (which i wouldnt if i didnt have to)

·
8,849 Posts
3 times as it would if you take it to a dealer and not a qualified mechanic.

·
11,054 Posts
Aaron said:
Gotta pay to play. THe IS300 is a very entertaining vehicle, but it costs....

Yeah....sigh....$US900 for a set of tires this past weekend...and $US490 for the 30K mile service next weekend... :roll:
...but I still wouldn't trade my car for a Mazda...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think my main problem is figuring out what i need more..

pay for performance
or
stick with the economy'ish car

I really want the Is300, but do i need it

·
8,849 Posts
Kweli said:
Drive one and the rest will be obvious. Worry not - Lexus makes some of the most valuable used vehicles.

·
11,054 Posts
Kweli said:
I think my main problem is figuring out what i need more..

pay for performance
or
stick with the economy'ish car

Your call... but if you are not sure you can afford the IS300, don't test drive it...otherwise you will be unhappy if you can't have it.

Do they salt the roads up there in winter? If so, be prepared to wash, wash, wash... (I hated that when I lived back east...we only sand over here.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive already test drove the IS300 and fell in love. I can afford a used IS BUT i am trying to figure out the maintence cost to keep it running (gas/repairs).

And yes, i live in toronto so there is salt on our roads = (

·
Registered
385 Posts
Lexus cars are expensive to maintain in terms of scheduled services (NOT talking about reliability, just regular maintenance). Maintenance is every 6 months or 8000 KM in Canada. It'll probably be around $700 Cdn (including tax) each yr not accounting for repairs or replacement of wear & tear items like brakes.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Kweli said:
Ive already test drove the IS300 and fell in love. I can afford a used IS BUT i am trying to figure out the maintence cost to keep it running (gas/repairs).

And yes, i live in toronto so there is salt on our roads = (
You might wish to check out the report on the IS300 at Intellichoice.com:
http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport.cfm/section/ownership/vhcl_nmb/10631

Compared to other vehicles in its class, the IS300 is more expensive to operate. If you perform most of your own mainteinance or go to independent shops instead of the Lexus dealer, you can lower your operating costs quite a bit. However, if you like to mod your vehicle (like many of the members here), all bets are off in terms of reliability and economical operating costs. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts