Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm servicing my car, taking care of a couple details, installed AAR arms, and thought I'd take the time to finally make a heatshield in preparation for a track day at the Streets of Willow early next month.

Created a template in cardboard where I can mess up and not worry

Traced to sheet aluminum and roughed out with plasma cutter

Cleaned up edges and welded mounting tabs

Done

On a side note...a little gnome creeped into my garage and defaced my car:

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good stuff!

suggestion: put a little strip of rubber or slice some vac line on the part that curves around the charge pipe so it wont vibrate
Definitely. I have it already and just have not installed it permanently yet.

·
Registered
827 Posts
thats one sikk honda haha

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Nice work.

And there's nothing like a little brand confusion! Just the other day I saw a NISMO Subaru. :)

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
track day = u need bars!

Sick, we talked about this in Vegas, I love how you have taken the time to learn how to fab your own toys up :)

I hope soon I can start doing the same.

D

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Pretty good work, as always -
I think I woul've gone around the filter a little bit too - Somewhat like the Injen intake heat shield does.

If you don't know what i'm talking about I can take some pics of the one on my car. lol

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ I know what u're talking about with the right angle fold behind the filter. But my filter is like 2x as long. There really is no room behind there...it's basically filter right next to the strut bar area. What room there is is taken by the intake tube. It's hard to perceive depth but you can kinda get the gist in the first pic.

But yeah, it's not really to block the heat coming off the turbos as there's already a nice OEM heatshield there. It's more to keep from breathing hot air coming through the radiator at speed. There's holes in the sheet metal below which forces cold air through and up from the fog light intake area to the filter.

Reactions: mikkellucci

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This should help you see it better

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
yes, always good clean work. Are you going to start selling or taking requests for parts? :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I plan on doing basically the same thing but i will prob use nutserts into the frame rail so i can just bolt it on flat. that and i like nutserts.

nutserts.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, always good clean work. Are you going to start selling or taking requests for parts? :)
It'll be a case by case basis as I'm very busy and in grad school. But hit me up and we can chat.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I plan on doing basically the same thing but i will prob use nutserts into the frame rail so i can just bolt it on flat. that and i like nutserts.

nutserts.
nutserts? I like that word.

I just used stock mounting points that were already in the frame.

nutserts...I'll have to look into that :)

Reactions: PROLIFIK1

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I love nutserts. They are like a rivet only when you install them they leave a threaded hole. Mainly for sheet metal. They are pretty durable too.

nutserts.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
i thought they were called pimnuts?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts