Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member on here and I've been searching for a little while to find a first gen IS300 here in Utah preferable in the Layton area or close. Does anyone on here have one for sale?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome along. Best to just check all the usual places cars are sold online. Facebook marketplace, craigslist, cars.com, autotrader, etc. Since the cars aren't exactly common, you might have to wait for one to show up near you. Or just be willing to travel
That's kinda what i was thinking i was just hoping someone might just have one available. I'm actually trying to look at a 02 Sportcross this weekend. I'm new to these vehicles but not toyota. Any thing i should look out for on one with 200K+ miles?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
242 Posts
Make sure the car has had the timing belt and water pump service. They are due every 100k roughly. Also look for excessive oil leaks. Valve cover gaskets, cam seals and crank seals leak. Make sure the transmission shifts smoothly. Also take the car for a good test drive. When back, shut the engine off, pop the oil fill cap and look to see that there isn’t any milky looking oil. Other than that it should be ok.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure the car has had the timing belt and water pump service. They are due every 100k roughly. Also look for excessive oil leaks. Valve cover gaskets, cam seals and crank seals leak. Make sure the transmission shifts smoothly. Also take the car for a good test drive. When back, shut the engine off, pop the oil fill cap and look to see that there isn’t any milky looking oil. Other than that it should be ok.
That's some great advice thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty familiar with 3s-gte motors and I know head gaskets are a huge issue with the gen 2 motors. Do the 2jz-ge motors have head gasket issues at all?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
242 Posts
I'm pretty familiar with 3s-gte motors and I know head gaskets are a huge issue with the gen 2 motors. Do the 2jz-ge motors have head gasket issues at all?
It is possible. This is why I said to take it for a good test drive to get it up to proper temp. Then pop the oil cap off and look under the cap. Looking for milky like substance. This may be an indicator for coolant in the crankcase.

Feel free to check out my YT channel. Here is a link for some quick checks while on a test drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is possible. This is why I said to take it for a good test drive to get it up to proper temp. Then pop the oil cap off and look under the cap. Looking for milky like substance. This may be an indicator for coolant in the crankcase.

Feel free to check out my YT channel. Here is a link for some quick checks while on a test drive.

Perfect! I will check that out. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
IDo the 2jz-ge motors have head gasket issues at all?
Only if overheated badly.
These engines are pretty solid. When we did the timing belt on my first IS, the sensor for the fan didn't get plugged in, so I started getting warm on a test drive, then when one of the techs was looking at what went wrong, the car got pretty far into the red for an unknown but short amount of time. That was about five years ago, and now my neighbor owns the car after I put ~70k miles on it from that point. And I drive these cars very hard basically all the time lol

That doesn't mean he's wrong, because they will lose the headgasket if they get hot, I'm just giving an example of mine getting overheated pretty bad, and me getting very lucky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I drove a 01 IS300 Auto last night with 230k+ miles on it. The trans felt like it shifted very late. I'm not super familiar with these cars so is there a shift improvement kit or anything to help the shifting or is the trans likely going bad? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
242 Posts
Was the car cold when you first started the test drive? If so it isn’t uncommon for these transmissions to shift a little late until they get warmed up “a little.” However if the late shifting kept happening even after warmed up, I would stay away.

I personally DONT like the way Lexus transmissions shift at all. It’s all soft and buttery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The engine wasnt warm we let it idle for like 2 minutes then drove it for about 10 but i think i just need to test drive a couple more to get a better feel for these cars. I want one so damn bad but i dont need another money pit (unless its cool modification stuff)

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
So I drove a 01 IS300 Auto last night with 230k+ miles on it. The trans felt like it shifted very late. I'm not super familiar with these cars so is there a shift improvement kit or anything to help the shifting or is the trans likely going bad? Thanks in advance.
You can make it shift harder. There are several treads on it. It will involve shiming and pump pressure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts