Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
What Japanese automaker has kept an unbroken blood line of sports cars in the US? I'm thinking none. The closest would be Mazda with the Miata since '89.

Every other company entirely abandoned the sports car (for the US) in the mid-late 90s (except Honda, who thought that was a great time to get into the segment with the S2k). Nissan ditched the Z in 96 and the 240SX in 98, bringing the next Z back in '03. Mazda kept the Rx-7 around until the Rx-8. I guess you could consider that continuous if a 4dr na sedan is the same as a 2dr turbo sports coupe - but 2012 is the last model year for that and there's not another rotary planned until '17. Toyota ditched the Supra in 98, the MR-S in 05 and hasn't had anything 2-dr and RWD until a few months ago. I'd say that all the Japanese Manufacturers have abandoned their sportscar 'heritage' in the US in the recent past.

-Justin

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
And we'd keep you out of the family and rightfully prevent you from owning one and screwing it up. If you lack the IQ points to keep your oil levels proper you shouldn't be driving a car of any kind....[/story]
I don't lack the IQ points or the skills to top off the oil. It's just that if there's a choice between a bunch of Japanese sports cars and one requires service every 300 miles compared to 5000+ miles for the others, I'm likely to scratch the needy one from my shopping list.

Of course, I am partial to light cars and the aluminum chassis talk has me intrigued. We'll have to see what comes out the other side of their development process.

-Justin

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
I know you're a bright individual Justin but I'm saying for those who can't manage the cars needs they shouldn't be allowed to own one. If you simply don't WANT to manage those needs then it' just not for you. I don't think it would be much of an issue. Go to fill up the gas tank and while it's filling up (at least 5 minutes) check the oil. You can do both at the same time. :)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
What Japanese automaker has kept an unbroken blood line of sports cars in the US? I'm thinking none. The closest would be Mazda with the Miata since '89.

Every other company entirely abandoned the sports car (for the US) in the mid-late 90s (except Honda, who thought that was a great time to get into the segment with the S2k). Nissan ditched the Z in 96 and the 240SX in 98, bringing the next Z back in '03. Mazda kept the Rx-7 around until the Rx-8. I guess you could consider that continuous if a 4dr na sedan is the same as a 2dr turbo sports coupe - but 2012 is the last model year for that and there's not another rotary planned until '17. Toyota ditched the Supra in 98, the MR-S in 05 and hasn't had anything 2-dr and RWD until a few months ago. I'd say that all the Japanese Manufacturers have abandoned their sportscar 'heritage' in the US in the recent past.

-Justin
that's a fair and valid point.

I know you're a bright individual Justin but I'm saying for those who can't manage the cars needs they shouldn't be allowed to own one. If you simply don't WANT to manage those needs then it' just not for you. I don't think it would be much of an issue. Go to fill up the gas tank and while it's filling up (at least 5 minutes) check the oil. You can do both at the same time. :)
if we're going to go that far to limit people from owning rotaries, might as well be ambitious and keep retards from driving altogether and have a stringent license process.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
No you can't. Up here in MA they remove those little tabs that keep the gas pump handle down without holding it. Also, it's cold as fuck half year.

I know I could do it, I just wouldn't and would blow the thing up.... then I'd change the motor and drive that one until I forgot again....

-Justin

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
if we're going to go that far to limit people from owning rotaries, might as well be ambitious and keep retards from driving altogether and have a stringent license process.
Go for the gold.
No you can't. Up here in MA they remove those little tabs that keep the gas pump handle down without holding it. Also, it's cold as fuck half year.

I know I could do it, I just wouldn't and would blow the thing up.... then I'd change the motor and drive that one until I forgot again....

-Justin
Wow that's ridiculous. Maybe consider relocating to a state that doesn't suck?

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
It's less cunty down here. Less hurricanes but I suppose we do have tornadoes. No state income tax is a nice touch. Speed limit is faster here too.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
It's less cunty down here. Less hurricanes but I suppose we do have tornadoes. No state income tax is a nice touch. Speed limit is faster here too.
10 lane highways with 75 MPH speed limits are pretty awesome. Hm.. so are the Texas women..

Biggest issues though are red necks and republicans.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts