Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2000 Celica GTS and want to get the new manual IS300 but am concerned on power. If I were to take the new IS and add everything I can without going turbo or supercharged would the IS compare in speed and performance with the Celica or better? I know the question is very vague and that the IS is in a class of it's own but what I'm looking for is from performance. Should see better 0-60 too with the manual.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Without using forced induction or nitrous you aren't going to get huge power increases easily on the IS300.

From what I understand of Celica GTS performance, I think the manual IS300 will already have comparable stock performance.

The Celica GT-S makes 180hp, and the IS300 makes 215hp. The IS300 engine has "way more" torque (with a 3.0 liter vs 1.8 liter) but the IS300 weights alot more than the Celica.

The IS300 is a very good handling car for one that weights 3270+ lbs, but you would notice that you are driving a heavier car.

All things considered I would still pick the IS300 just for the fact that it is rear wheel drive instead of front wheel drive.

(Guess you better test drive and see for yourself...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I did add all the goodies out there what would I get to the wheels? I'm thinking, with what's out now, around 220rwhp, right?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here's food for thought.

Recent SCCA Solo/Solo II classification have put the Celica GT-S and the IS300 in the same class, D-Stock. It means that the currently available IS300s (automatic) are deemed competitive with the currently available GT-Ss (manual and automatic) on a short handling course. This concurs with my observations running with a mildly modified manual GT-S in the mountains. Both cars could shadow each other at 10/10ths, but where the lowered GT-S had more a bit more contact patch to work with in long sweepers, the stock IS300 had a bit more directional agility through consecutive esses.

Based on simple power-to-weight and personal observation, I would not doubt that the manual GT-S is a bit faster than the automatic IS300 in a straight line. I think the manual IS300 will probably give that GT-S a very good (if not better) run.

The automatic IS300 seems faster than the automatic GT-S, however.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts