Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2000 Celica GTS and want to get the new manual IS300 but am concerned on power. If I were to take the new IS and add everything I can without going turbo or supercharged would the IS compare in speed and performance with the Celica or better? I know the question is very vague and that the IS is in a class of it's own but what I'm looking for is from performance. Should see better 0-60 too with the manual.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Without using forced induction or nitrous you aren't going to get huge power increases easily on the IS300.

From what I understand of Celica GTS performance, I think the manual IS300 will already have comparable stock performance.

The Celica GT-S makes 180hp, and the IS300 makes 215hp. The IS300 engine has "way more" torque (with a 3.0 liter vs 1.8 liter) but the IS300 weights alot more than the Celica.

The IS300 is a very good handling car for one that weights 3270+ lbs, but you would notice that you are driving a heavier car.

All things considered I would still pick the IS300 just for the fact that it is rear wheel drive instead of front wheel drive.

(Guess you better test drive and see for yourself...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I did add all the goodies out there what would I get to the wheels? I'm thinking, with what's out now, around 220rwhp, right?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here's food for thought.

Recent SCCA Solo/Solo II classification have put the Celica GT-S and the IS300 in the same class, D-Stock. It means that the currently available IS300s (automatic) are deemed competitive with the currently available GT-Ss (manual and automatic) on a short handling course. This concurs with my observations running with a mildly modified manual GT-S in the mountains. Both cars could shadow each other at 10/10ths, but where the lowered GT-S had more a bit more contact patch to work with in long sweepers, the stock IS300 had a bit more directional agility through consecutive esses.

Based on simple power-to-weight and personal observation, I would not doubt that the manual GT-S is a bit faster than the automatic IS300 in a straight line. I think the manual IS300 will probably give that GT-S a very good (if not better) run.

The automatic IS300 seems faster than the automatic GT-S, however.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
DtEW
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing