Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I swapped my passenger side lbj and was tightening the castle nut to the lower suspension arm to torque. Grease started come out from somewhere. Is this normal? I took it back off and inspected the boot but see no damage. Did the seals on it fail? It's Moog that I got from RockAuto.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
864 Posts
So I swapped my passenger side lbj and was tightening the castle nut to the lower suspension arm to torque. Grease started come out from somewhere. Is this normal? I took it back off and inspected the boot but see no damage. Did the seals on it fail? It's Moog that I got from RockAuto.

I’d imagine a little came out of the top of the bolt where the stud protrudes? If so, AND you attained 91 ft. Lbs. just wipe it off and call it good.
If you see visible boot damage then you may need to get a replacement unfortunately.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like that's where it came from. When I took it off to look at the boot I couldn't really tell exactly where it came from but it was on the underside where the bolt goes through.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The ball joints I've been purchasing come with a Zerk grease fitting that can be installed. When you use this fitting to change/re-grease the ball-joint, the old grease has to come out somewhere; this is by design. Usually there is a small orifice in the side of the boot; I wouldn't be surprised if some are designed so the grease escapes at the top seal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah the lower ball joints are designed to leak grease to alleviate pressure. My Moog ball joints leaked a decent amount of grease initially. If you're worried I'd just check it occasionally.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What you should be concerned about is if nothing came out.... if there was no grease in there. Many are filled from factory. Just make sure they are not dry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts