Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to a big wig at corporate the other day and asked why they took the orginality of the IS away which upset me like many of you...Now it is just referred to as a baby GS and so fourth. I have to say his answer gave me good comfort that Lexus is headed in a real good direction for a company who has only been in business 15 years.
He says to me they want to go for a universal feel, no longer does lexus want to have people mistake the IS for a carolla or make them look like other cars because of the front, but rather they want to use the MB and BMW strategy where all the cars from the front look almost the same so that people are able to know that OH THATS A LEXUS FOR SURE...and then looking at body and back differentiate the model..He gave me examples of how at times people have to double the BMW 3 and 5 series as well as the MB C and E and S even to an extent look the same from front just diff lights and bigger grills etc... I called irate and ended up being very happy with his answer....I guess im posting this to get a genral feel from the community...

·
Registered
486 Posts
I can live with that ideaology. I'ts funny how other car companies don't seem to get the flack Lexus gets even though their cars look similar. That includes audi, bmw, Caddilac. I think more of us can live with the baby GS vs it's a carolla or ford focus look alike.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The front of the IS and the GS is way different. So it doesn't make sense to me

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
My02GrApHiTeIS300 said:
I talked to a big wig at corporate the other day and asked why they took the orginality of the IS away which upset me like many of you...Now it is just referred to as a baby GS and so fourth. I have to say his answer gave me good comfort that Lexus is headed in a real good direction for a company who has only been in business 15 years.
He says to me they want to go for a universal feel, no longer does lexus want to have people mistake the IS for a carolla or make them look like other cars because of the front, but rather they want to use the MB and BMW strategy where all the cars from the front look almost the same so that people are able to know that OH THATS A LEXUS FOR SURE...and then looking at body and back differentiate the model..He gave me examples of how at times people have to double the BMW 3 and 5 series as well as the MB C and E and S even to an extent look the same from front just diff lights and bigger grills etc... I called irate and ended up being very happy with his answer....I guess im posting this to get a genral feel from the community...
so basically you asked why the new IS looks like all the other Lexus cars and he said thats becuase they want to make it more Lexus Like.

and youre surprised to hear this? why?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
true, but the backs are kind of similar.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
side by side they the only thing that looks similar are the door's

from the front and from the rear they are distinct.

IS looks very GSish in pictures but in person its A LOT smaller. the front end seems a lot shorter. (very compact version of GS?)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow you must have bad reading skills as i said in my post I asked him why they took the originality of the Lexus IS. Thats when he went into detail and told me they are going to a strategy where they want people to identify that its a LEXUS just by looking at it

·
Registered
482 Posts
I personally like it when car companies have some originality with their designs rather than the cookie cutter appraoch of BMW and MB. Lexus may be heading more in this direction but I think as of right now they still are able to put enough difference in the cars to tell them apart which is what I like.

Nobody should confuse a GS and an IS which is good.

It is sad Lexus seems to be more and more going in the direction of BMW in everything...I realize from a business point of view it is good but from my fan point of view I dont like it...the originality Lexus had and the great value Lexus offered is what made me a fan of Lexus and prefer the brand over MB, BMW, Audi, etc.

The funny thing is making the fronts look the same doesnt do anything...people will know it is a Lexus by the big L emblem on the grill.:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, the business reason behind it is that Lexus would rather people refer to their cars as "a Lexus" and not "The IS". They want people to recognize the brand, not the car

Take away a lot of the originality, and all of a sudden, you have people reffering to cars as Lexus's instead of IS250, GS300 and so on

I am sure that normal people dont understand the difference between a 318i. 323i, 325ci, 328xi, 330i and so on. They just know thats a small BMW of some sort.

All this being said, I am not a fan of cookie cutter cars as well. Although, I really like the way the new IS looks.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
My02GrApHiTeIS300 said:
Wow you must have bad reading skills as i said in my post I asked him why they took the originality of the Lexus IS. Thats when he went into detail and told me they are going to a strategy where they want people to identify that its a LEXUS just by looking at it
again. he told you the new IS is more "Lexus like". so what. this has been said and covered before. wheres the new flash?

·
Registered
957 Posts
the originality of the IS is gone, but its ok. If you've seen the 350 in person, its a very nice ride as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts