Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have just recently (as of this week) purchased a '05 IS300. I have wanted one of these for a long time but never really did much but admire from afar. So I took my time to find just the right one for me. Finally settling on this '05 manual with a little over 100,000 miles. It has been adult owned and taken care of with every service record since the day this gentleman purchased the car new. The owner is now 63 and feels he can't continue to give it the love the car deserves so it was time to let it go finally. I could tell he really loved the car not just because of the well documented service history of the car but also because I more less had to "interview" to see if I was right for the car. After some back and forth and settling on his asking price we struck a deal where I will fly out there to pick it up this coming Friday and drive it back the nearly 500 miles to my home. So enough about that here is a little info on the car and what has been done thus far. I will just pull from his description.

2005 Lexus IS300 2JZ GE NA
5 speed manual transmission (stock so I believe this would be the w55)
Megan Racing short throw shifter
Original dark blue paint with black leather interior
Newer Lexus IS black rims with new Michelin Pilot Sport tires 17x7.5 (said the rears were wider but unsure about that as they came from a 2018 IS300 which seems to be just 17x7.5)
Smoked front and rear tail lights with HID bulbs
Tinted windows all the way around
Ceramic polished, rubberized under coating and leather cleaned by professional detailer
New Spec Stage 2 Plus kit
Aluminum flywheel
Hawk Talon LTS brake kit with slotted rotors front & back
Stainless steel braided brake lines
Eibach Sport Plus lowering springs and struts
Eibach front and rear sway bars "anti-roll kit"
Bilstein "Pro Kit" shocks
Megan Racing black powder coated headers
Mgan Racing down pipe
3in Megan Racing stainless exhaust
Weapon-R Dragon "shielded" cold air intake
Gates timing belt & water pump kit
New Toyota Lexus Performance ignition wire & plug kit

So I have a good starting point with this car and I have about $4,000 left to put into the car once I get back home. So if you were in my shoes what would you do? Any advice would be great as this is still going to be just a street car. No track time or anything like that will be done to this car. I just want something that looks good and is fun to drive. Maybe one day I will look into a turbo but nothing crazy maybe between 450-500hp at the most. But till then I would just like a little guidance on where to go from here. With what is on the car is there anything you would change? And the water pump & timing belt were done about 15,000 miles ago and the "tune up" kit was even more recent then that so general up keep I don't think will need any attention right away.

EDIT

Also I have acquired a front lip & side skirts already. I plan to get a rear diffuser and a Evo style carbon fiber hood. This will not come out of the $4,000 I have to spend from day one. I already have that money set aside for this and a new spoiler I have recently found. This will probably be later once I can get a rocket bunny style kit and the new tire fitment sorted out. Just looking for performance info ATM.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Performance doesn't come cheap. If you still have the OEM manual trans (W55), that breaks at approx 330hp.

You want up to 450-500hp? Cool, you NEED to build the bottom end. You want boost? Cool you need an aftermarket ECU.

Long story short, you'll need about $9,000 minimum for those power parameters. It's money well spent for some, and a long road ahead for others, where do you fall?

Search around on the forum and you'll get all the info you need when it comes to the specifics

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Performance doesn't come cheap. If you still have the OEM manual trans (W55), that breaks at approx 330hp.

You want up to 450-500hp? Cool, you NEED to build the bottom end. You want boost? Cool you need an aftermarket ECU.

Long story short, you'll need about $9,000 minimum for those power parameters. It's money well spent for some, and a long road ahead for others, where do you fall?

Search around on the forum and you'll get all the info you need when it comes to the specifics

Oh I know this isn't going to be cheap and I'm not looking to skimp or cut corners by any means. I got awarded a large settlement Monday and I got the first payment of $25,000 dollars today. After I paid up bills from being out of work during this time and purchased the car I have about $4,000 to spend right away as I kept $3,000 to tide me over till next month. Basically I get $100,000 in payments of $25,000 once a month. And I get about $2,500 a month from my employer as well till I am cleared again for work. The $4,000 is the play money I have right now to invest. What I am asking is where would it best be put first and foremost? Basically just where should I first start from what I have ATM.

Boost will be the very last thing I put into the car. Already learned about that years ago when I bought my Eclipse GSX new off the lot back in '99. I learned my lesson about cutting corners and being cheap. Cheap and reliable are two things that don't happen in the car world.

All in all I am looking to drop roughly $30,000 into this car when it's all said and done. I have longed for an IS300 since I first saw one. I currently have a SC300 with a 1JZ with about 650hp and it's not a daily by any means. This will be a daily street car I can have some fun with. But I also want it to be built properly and as solid as I can get it.

My SC300 I didn't build I simply bought it but it really made me desire the IS300 even more. So if my question came off wrong I am sorry. I don't expect power for a measly $4,000 by any means. As I said I'm just wondering where this first bit of cash would be best spent.

When I am ready for boost which I see longer then a year being realistic I plan on getting a new motor and build the bottom end for boost. But I figured I could prep the rest of the car prior to this by upgrading the fuel system, cams, some head work etc. I want to have some fun with this and take my time and learn.

Eventually once I have it ready I would swap out to a motor with a built bottom end with forged pistons and the works. Maybe then put a 2JZ in the SC but I haven't gotten there yet so I'm trying to not get ahead of myself. This IS is going to be my "forever" car. This is why I want to do this and do it right. Some power and reliability is the main focus.

And I said 450-500 as it was just a number off the top of my head. It has probably around 250hp ATM and just thought of doubling it nothing more. Being streetable and fun are my main concerns not building huge HP numbers. As I said I'm new to this and I didn't build my 1JZ I just bought it as is for $10k about a year ago. Prior to that I have had nothing special.

So I found myself here after being curious and seeing as there are guys that have way more knowledge then me I came for advise from others. While I would like to say I know what I need to do I simply don't being honest with myself. I know what I would like to achieve but how to get there with a clear like of sight I do not.

I'm happy to take my time doing this so long as I am a part of the build and it's done right. I have a Prelude I can drive if the IS300 is being worked on and my SC300 is my play toy. I'm just trying to build a car that I can have fun with that I won't have to spend money on something I'll soon replace because I'm not happy with it. Now that I'm in my 40's this is going to be a labor of love. I hope that makes a little more sense. Thank you for your time and I'll try to be a bit more clear next time.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Being streetable and fun are my main concerns not building huge HP numbers.
Honestly....if streetable and fun is your goal, I'd put the least amount of money into getting a bump in power and the most amount of money into the suspension setup unless by streetable you mean highway streetable. Yes...maybe turbo the GE but not going past its limits....take whatever it can give you which should be more than enough to be fun....and make it handle so you can exit highways and drive the backroads at 300mph.

Disclaimer: Definition of fun may vary.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly....if streetable and fun is your goal, I'd put the least amount of money into getting a bump in power and the most amount of money into the suspension setup unless by streetable you mean highway streetable. Yes...maybe turbo the GE but not going past its limits....take whatever it can give you which should be more than enough to be fun....and make it handle so you can exit highways and drive the backroads at 300mph.

Disclaimer: Definition of fun may vary.

Yeah this sounds about what I am wanting. I just kinda want it to be fun the drive but not really a slouch. Where I live I have tons of windy roads by the mountains. But this is also why I posted what parts are already on the car Incase someone has experience with better parts. But again I'm just looking for input from people that have one. I try to talk with my buddies and all I ever hear is "Just 2JZ GTE swap it and all it a day" and while that may be fun their cars are trashy to me. As big numbers are all the care about. I feel like I'm in a tin can held together buy dirt and luck. This car is so fresh and clean I want to keep it that way while having some fun. Here is what I mean by it being fresh. I am not really a gear head but I want to be more involved instead of just buying someone else's like my SC or how I cut corners on my Eclipse back 20 years ago when I was 20. 😖

My new IS300

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oh I know this isn't going to be cheap and I'm not looking to skimp or cut corners by any means.
Sorry for coming off pretty short with the initial response, it's something that a lot of people who come on the platform do not realize when they want power. Toyota/Lexus really screwed us over. Still saltly, but one of the best decisions I've made

I just bit the bullet and spent 7 grand on just upgrading the transmission over the W55 (T56 Magnum), and I don't even have 260whp lol. So I'm certainly in it for the long haul.

The $4,000 is the play money I have right now to invest. What I am asking is where would it best be put first and foremost? Basically just where should I first start from what I have ATM.
Sure, It looks like some of the handling was done for you. And that to me at least is a big selling point for me. I have stock struts, and they're shot, so whenever I got around to upgrading them, I personally am going for Fortune Auto's offering for a significant upgrade. I'm not sure how well the Bilstein "Pro Kit" shocks are in comparison, so if you're happy with the performance, I can't suggest you switch them out.

Boost will be the very last thing I put into the car. Already learned about that years ago when I bought my Eclipse GSX new off the lot back in '99. I learned my lesson about cutting corners and being cheap. Cheap and reliable are two things that don't happen in the car world.

All in all I am looking to drop roughly $30,000 into this car when it's all said and done. I have longed for an IS300 since I first saw one. I currently have a SC300 with a 1JZ with about 650hp and it's not a daily by any means. This will be a daily street car I can have some fun with. But I also want it to be built properly and as solid as I can get it.
I'm glad you have some experience with the platform. You also know what you're getting yourself into.

My SC300 I didn't build I simply bought it but it really made me desire the IS300 even more. So if my question came off wrong I am sorry. I don't expect power for a measly $4,000 by any means. As I said I'm just wondering where this first bit of cash would be best spent.
I just saw you're relatively new to the IS group, and wanted to advise you of your battle. It was I that came off harshly.

When I am ready for boost which I see longer then a year being realistic I plan on getting a new motor and build the bottom end for boost. But I figured I could prep the rest of the car prior to this by upgrading the fuel system, cams, some head work etc. I want to have some fun with this and take my time and learn.
You and me both pal. If you want to get some small power in the mean time, you can do lightweight wheels (16-18lbs per wheel is a good start). I did all the lightweight aluminum pulleys. You stated you already have a lightweight flywheel. You could get a lightweight driveshaft now, but if you get a new transmission in the coming year or so, this may prove to be redundant as you may need to get it resized since you'd be fitting it to the W55 initially.

Other things include an exhaust cam gear set to -4°, and 264 cams from Brian Cower.

As for other prep, consider replacing as many bushings on the car as you can. It's one of those things where the small things can make a big difference.

I would have suggested getting a bottom chasis brace, but they are more and more difficult to find as the days go on. I will say Megan racing still makes a cheap traction bar that helps A TON for like $60.

Eventually once I have it ready I would swap out to a motor with a built bottom end with forged pistons and the works. Maybe then put a 2JZ in the SC but I haven't gotten there yet so I'm trying to not get ahead of myself. This IS is going to be my "forever" car. This is why I want to do this and do it right. Some power and reliability is the main focus.

And I said 450-500 as it was just a number off the top of my head. It has probably around 250hp ATM and just thought of doubling it nothing more. Being streetable and fun are my main concerns not building huge HP numbers. As I said I'm new to this and I didn't build my 1JZ I just bought it as is for $10k about a year ago. Prior to that I have had nothing special.
You can take the bottom end that is currently in the car and work with that, the 2J block is a 2J block plenty strong for your case especially. Top end with the head, you shouldn't have to worry too much as far as I've read, should handle what you're asking for.

Also, as a note, the rear end is pretty stout from the factory as far as I've read, so no worries there.

So I found myself here after being curious and seeing as there are guys that have way more knowledge then me I came for advise from others. While I would like to say I know what I need to do I simply don't being honest with myself. I know what I would like to achieve but how to get there with a clear like of sight I do not.
I'm in the same boat, I'm really surprised some of the most knowledgeable guys are still around on the forum. Well...until the new site redesign came about, some are put off by it.

I'm happy to take my time doing this so long as I am a part of the build and it's done right. I have a Prelude I can drive if the IS300 is being worked on and my SC300 is my play toy. I'm just trying to build a car that I can have fun with that I won't have to spend money on something I'll soon replace because I'm not happy with it. Now that I'm in my 40's this is going to be a labor of love. I hope that makes a little more sense. Thank you for your time and I'll try to be a bit more clear next time.
You were exceedingly clear, this is probably my longest response to date. Being in your 40's puts you at about twice my age, so you probably know more than I in most cases. But I can try and help where I can.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for coming off pretty short with the initial response, it's something that a lot of people who come on the platform do not realize when they want power. Toyota/Lexus really screwed us over. Still saltly, but one of the best decisions I've made

I just bit the bullet and spent 7 grand on just upgrading the transmission over the W55 (T56 Magnum), and I don't even have 260whp lol. So I'm certainly in it for the long haul.

Sure, It looks like some of the handling was done for you. And that to me at least is a big selling point for me. I have stock struts, and they're shot, so whenever I got around to upgrading them, I personally am going for Fortune Auto's offering for a significant upgrade. I'm not sure how well the Bilstein "Pro Kit" shocks are in comparison, so if you're happy with the performance, I can't suggest you switch them out.

I'm glad you have some experience with the platform. You also know what you're getting yourself into.

I just saw you're relatively new to the IS group, and wanted to advise you of your battle. It was I that came off harshly.

You and me both pal. If you want to get some small power in the mean time, you can do lightweight wheels (16-18lbs per wheel is a good start). I did all the lightweight aluminum pulleys. You stated you already have a lightweight flywheel. You could get a lightweight driveshaft now, but if you get a new transmission in the coming year or so, this may prove to be redundant as you may need to get it resized since you'd be fitting it to the W55 initially.

Other things include an exhaust cam gear set to -4°, and 264 cams from Brian Cower.

As for other prep, consider replacing as many bushings on the car as you can. It's one of those things where the small things can make a big difference.

I would have suggested getting a bottom chasis brace, but they are more and more difficult to find as the days go on. I will say Megan racing still makes a cheap traction bar that helps A TON for like $60.

You can take the bottom end that is currently in the car and work with that, the 2J block is a 2J block plenty strong for your case especially. Top end with the head, you shouldn't have to worry too much as far as I've read, should handle what you're asking for.

Also, as a note, the rear end is pretty stout from the factory as far as I've read, so no worries there.

I'm in the same boat, I'm really surprised some of the most knowledgeable guys are still around on the forum. Well...until the new site redesign came about, some are put off by it.

You were exceedingly clear, this is probably my longest response to date. Being in your 40's puts you at about twice my age, so you probably know more than I in most cases. But I can try and help where I can.

Nah you were not harsh at all man and besides some folks need that to get it though their heads 🤣🤣 so I get where you were coming from there. I have seen plenty of folks ask time and again I'm every scene for cheap, reliability and power. You can usually get two of those things but not all three.

But the advice on the lightweight pulleys and so forth is exactly what I am after. While I could just wait till I get all the cash at one time I just got the bug and want to start working on it being as I am home 7 days a week and bored out of my mind. There is only so many movies and PlayStation a man can play before he goes crazy.

I got in my accident September 28th of last year and have not been able to do much die to not being able to work and funds being tight. As much as I would have liked to spend money during that time I have a 12 year old daughter and just like cars they aren't cheap. I'll be out of work till next year foreseeably. I have to get the fusion in my ankle now that I have healed from the rods and pins in my ankle. So this will help bide my time while I am at home.

Once I am back to work it won't be that big of a deal to have her off the road for a bit. But till then I just want to do what I can to enjoy it now, waste some time and have fun while I am doing it. As I said it will be a labor of love and a great way to spend some time getting to know my car.

As for the rims I am going to wait a bit as I want to get the lip, skirts, spoiler and diffuser put on. At that time I am going to see about a "Rocket Bunny" style kit. Then get some rims so the fitment is just right ya know. I like the 2017 IS300 rims that are on it for now. I have the skirts and lip already and they are in black I may keep them that way but I am awaiting the Evo style hood and rear diffuser. As for the spoiler I literally just saw one I actually liked this evening on these forums. So I gotta order that. One she's all set outside I can focus on the kit and rims.

But respect for taking the time helping a noob and your advice will do me very well and give me a bit to go over to ensure I get just what I am look for bud. Cheers!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nah you were not harsh at all man and besides some folks need that to get it though their heads 🤣🤣 so I get where you were coming from there. I have seen plenty of folks ask time and again I'm every scene for cheap, reliability and power. You can usually get two of those things but not all three.

But the advice on the lightweight pulleys and so forth is exactly what I am after. While I could just wait till I get all the cash at one time I just got the bug and want to start working on it being as I am home 7 days a week and bored out of my mind. There is only so many movies and PlayStation a man can play before he goes crazy.

I got in my accident September 28th of last year and have not been able to do much die to not being able to work and funds being tight. As much as I would have liked to spend money during that time I have a 12 year old daughter and just like cars they aren't cheap. I'll be out of work till next year foreseeably. I have to get the fusion in my ankle now that I have healed from the rods and pins in my ankle. So this will help bide my time while I am at home.

Once I am back to work it won't be that big of a deal to have her off the road for a bit. But till then I just want to do what I can to enjoy it now, waste some time and have fun while I am doing it. As I said it will be a labor of love and a great way to spend some time getting to know my car.

As for the rims I am going to wait a bit as I want to get the lip, skirts, spoiler and diffuser put on. At that time I am going to see about a "Rocket Bunny" style kit. Then get some rims so the fitment is just right ya know. I like the 2017 IS300 rims that are on it for now. I have the skirts and lip already and they are in black I may keep them that way but I am awaiting the Evo style hood and rear diffuser. As for the spoiler I literally just saw one I actually liked this evening on these forums. So I gotta order that. One she's all set outside I can focus on the kit and rims.

But respect for taking the time helping a noob and your advice will do me very well and give me a bit to go over to ensure I get just what I am look for bud. Cheers!!!

Jeez, well hopefully your recovery goes well. The situation going on with your ankle seems bad, almost like you shouldn't be driving a manual haha.

If you want more direct help, you can reach out via DM, or if you want IM style, Reddit has finally implemented it. Just let me know!

Also, there are a few Youtube IS guys that I would recommend you take a look at. Two of the most notable are: two jay and SR Entertainment. They have some quality content and can possibly sway you on some decisions. I've personally reached out to Nico (SR E.) and he's a cool dude. He's currently working on an IS drift car, pretty stoked to see what goes on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geez now
Jeez, well hopefully your recovery goes well. The situation going on with your ankle seems bad, almost like you shouldn't be driving a manual haha.

If you want more direct help, you can reach out via DM, or if you want IM style, Reddit has finally implemented it. Just let me know!

Also, there are a few Youtube IS guys that I would recommend you take a look at. Two of the most notable are: two jay and SR Entertainment. They have some quality content and can possibly sway you on some decisions. I've personally reached out to Nico (SR E.) and he's a cool dude. He's currently working on an IS drift car, pretty stoked to see what goes on.

Hahahah now you sound like my girlfriend. Luckily the Prelude I have is an automatic. It's my daughter's car once she gets her license in 19 short months. Bought it on payments from a buddy and have been getting stuffed fixed for her. Luckily after I get this fusion in the ankle I have just a few more weeks of recovery time. I thought about an auto but then I thought about doing the swap. Figured sure I'll get to it but then this pristine manual came up and it was almost like I had to.

Just look at how clean the inside is!! I couldn't say no!! And thanks a ton for the help and I will take you up on that should I ever need any help. And if I ever change my suspension maybe I can send them your way for being such a good sport.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just look at how clean the inside is!! I couldn't say no!! And thanks a ton for the help and I will take you up on that should I ever need any help. And if I ever change my suspension maybe I can send them your way for being such a good sport.
Those seats are nearly perfect. The one I inherited went through 9 different owners. An airbag went off, they're all cracked...it's bad. Plus the rear bumper was melting off since one of the owners thought some shitty axleback with no exhaust tip was a good idea. I still have a decent amount of work ahead of me lol

I appreciate the suspension offer haha!

Here are some photos if you're interested:

Black rims are currently on

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Those seats are nearly perfect. The one I inherited went through 9 different owners. An airbag went off, they're all cracked...it's bad. Plus the rear bumper was melting off since one of the owners thought some shitty axleback with no exhaust tip was a good idea. I still have a decent amount of work ahead of me lol

I appreciate the suspension offer haha!

Here are some photos if you're interested:

Black rims are currently on
Ouch well at least it's in good hands now. And NP with the offer. Stuff will just sit in my garage as I wouldn't do anything with it so if be happy to pass along the stuff. I'll let you know if I have any extras. Id would just be happy to see it get used.

I know for a fact that the Megan cat back exhaust will be gutted first and foremost. I am going with a muffler delete. And I know I have an extra set of eBay headers. Had those for a while. Buddy gave it to me about a month ago when I started looking into getting an IS. Your more then welcome to both once the new muffler delete arrives.

If your close to South Carolina maybe we could meet up. There is a huge car meet coming up soon and I'm trying to get her all ready to go on the outside and exhaust by then.

I haven't told anyone I got the IS and they are used to seeing my SC. Would be nice to have a clean whip as a surprise.

My SC300
That is my 1JZ SC300, while not the prettiest girl at the ball she holds her own on the street.

Edit

Man that yellow though!! I wanted that color so bad but couldn't find a manual one anywhere. Looks really good bro you should be proud of the work you have done. I love it!! And those look like the black rims I have bit kinda hard to tell on my cellphone. They come from a newer IS like mine?? Can't wait to get working on mine and share pics/stories. Thanks man you have been such a big help and a good dude to chat with.

Re-Edit

Also I'm going to get some new seats as well if you would be interested in that I'll keep you in mind. As for your transmission upgrade were you an auto before? Asking if you might need a manual steering wheel and possibly the cluster. Will also be ditching my stock spoiler. I'd be happy to jist help out a fellow gearhead. Especially since you have been so helpful.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ouch well at least it's in good hands now. And NP with the offer. Stuff will just sit in my garage as I wouldn't do anything with it so if be happy to pass along the stuff. I'll let you know if I have any extras. Id would just be happy to see it get used.

I know for a fact that the Megan cat back exhaust will be gutted first and foremost. I am going with a muffler delete. And I know I have an extra set of eBay headers. Had those for a while. Buddy gave it to me about a month ago when I started looking into getting an IS. Your more then welcome to both once the new muffler delete arrives.
I finally..finally got my exhaust with the ebay headers sealed and working properly again. It's been a nightmare with fitment and just working around them in case it has to come apart.. Stay far far away if you can.

If your close to South Carolina maybe we could meet up. There is a huge car meet coming up soon and I'm trying to get her all ready to go on the outside and exhaust by then.

I haven't told anyone I got the IS and they are used to seeing my SC. Would be nice to have a clean whip as a surprise.
I have a buddy that lives in Virginia when he's not deployed with the Navy. He and I were trying to meet up in March of next year, so maybe while I'm on my way up from Florida, we could plan something, who knows?

That is my 1JZ SC300, while not the prettiest girl at the ball she holds her own on the street.
Damn, I like the green! They remind me of the Mark IV supras. If it's turbo which I can't remember if you mentioned, I'm sure it's an absolute hoon to drive around.

Man that yellow though!! I wanted that color so bad but couldn't find a manual one anywhere. Looks really good bro you should be proud of the work you have done. I love it!! And those look like the black rims I have bit kinda hard to tell on my cellphone. They come from a newer IS like mine?? Can't wait to get working on mine and share pics/stories. Thanks man you have been such a big help and a good dude to chat with.
Haha, I'm personally not as much of the yellow, but i've certainly embraced it. Friends and family make jokes all the time calling me the broken bumblebee lol. Black rims are a chinese knockoff company that did an ok job. Got the set for $600 new, which is reasonable.

I try to help out who I can, I feel like the community is a lot smaller than it truly is since this site kinda died off, and mostly everything that can be done, has been done. But I'm more grateful for the people who know wayy more than me and stick around. You seem like a solid addition if you stick around, that's for sure!

Also I'm going to get some new seats as well if you would be interested in that I'll keep you in mind. As for your transmission upgrade were you an auto before? Asking if you might need a manual steering wheel and possibly the cluster. Will also be ditching my stock spoiler. I'd be happy to just help out a fellow gearhead. Especially since you have been so helpful.
I was also going to get some new seats eventually, looking at the company Braum, they have a good collection that has caught my eye for a little over a year now.

I had the stock W55 and everything, trying to see what the hell to do with it. It's currently in shambles since the first and second gear syncros are shot and needs a rebuild. So if maybe you know anyone that could benefit off it, maybe something can be worked out. Kinda taking up space in a garage at the moment.

By the way when it comes to the stock gauge cluster, if you havent already, I highly recommend doing the white light mod, makes it look a million times better IMO. Here's a link to how mine look

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally..finally got my exhaust with the ebay headers sealed and working properly again. It's been a nightmare with fitment and just working around them in case it has to come apart.. Stay far far away if you can.

I have a buddy that lives in Virginia when he's not deployed with the Navy. He and I were trying to meet up in March of next year, so maybe while I'm on my way up from Florida, we could plan something, who knows?

Damn, I like the green! They remind me of the Mark IV supras. If it's turbo which I can't remember if you mentioned, I'm sure it's an absolute hoon to drive around.

Haha, I'm personally not as much of the yellow, but i've certainly embraced it. Friends and family make jokes all the time calling me the broken bumblebee lol. Black rims are a chinese knockoff company that did an ok job. Got the set for $600 new, which is reasonable.

I try to help out who I can, I feel like the community is a lot smaller than it truly is since this site kinda died off, and mostly everything that can be done, has been done. But I'm more grateful for the people who know wayy more than me and stick around. You seem like a solid addition if you stick around, that's for sure!

I was also going to get some new seats eventually, looking at the company Braum, they have a good collection that has caught my eye for a little over a year now.

I had the stock W55 and everything, trying to see what the hell to do with it. It's currently in shambles since the first and second gear syncros are shot and needs a rebuild. So if maybe you know anyone that could benefit off it, maybe something can be worked out. Kinda taking up space in a garage at the moment.

By the way when it comes to the stock gauge cluster, if you havent already, I highly recommend doing the white light mod, makes it look a million times better IMO. Here's a link to how mine look

Yeah for sure I'd be willing to meet up sometime. And the reason I got the SC was I wanted one as well but it's my poor man's Supra kinda. It is turbo but it is just a 1JZ so the 2.5 displacement.

As for the exhaust the only reason I would consider a full swap is if it doesn't line up with the headers and downpipe. Trying to make due with what I have for a bit. And when I swap seats I'm sure someone would be happy to have them if you don't ever want them.

As for the transmission I'll look into upgrading that when I get a new LSD. But do you have a link to the cluster light mod??

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah for sure I'd be willing to meet up sometime. And the reason I got the SC was I wanted one as well but it's my poor man's Supra kinda. It is turbo but it is just a 1JZ so the 2.5 displacement.

As for the exhaust the only reason I would consider a full swap is if it doesn't line up with the headers and downpipe. Trying to make due with what I have for a bit. And when I swap seats I'm sure someone would be happy to have them if you don't ever want them.

As for the transmission I'll look into upgrading that when I get a new LSD. But do you have a link to the cluster light mod??
It may be a little low on displacement but it's still a turbo straight six! You could get a pretty penny for the seats man, i'd hold onto them. You never know, it is very popular among the IS community to have more than one IS, so you could even re-purpose them yourself if the opportunity arises.

Link to LED kit: https://ebay.to/2KDHdcy
*Note: the seller primarily sells the white version unless you contact for another color.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts