Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
nice post flipside!

800*480 res.. not bad.. what size screen though? 6" diag?

also.. "freeway lane count for more precise guidance prior to exit" :confused:

so wait.. i can picture it now.. a mile before your exit on the left..

"change lane to next left lane" ... "change lane to next left lane" ... "change lane to next left lane" ...

that would drive me nuts! My current GPS system yaps at me when im 1 mile away, 2000 ft away and 500 ft away.... customized by me.. and thats enough ! this would be a lil over the top, IMO.

other than that, the NAV and ML system sound good.

"You must show some love to other members before giving it to Flipside909 again."

Guess I've dished you some recent rep.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah a buddy of mine who previously worked for Denso in Long Beach told me when they mapped the Navi and programming for the Toyota/Lexus Nav, every POI must be accurate within a 1/10 Mile range.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Per the Lexus Marketing rep I met today, no ML for the US cars. Must be special ordered if you want it. Sucks!!

As for the navi, I played with it a bit today...it allowed me to highlight a building just adjacent to the Lexus dealership and press "building information". It told me that it was a Volkswagon Dealership and gave the address. Pretty nifty (not that I'm looking to crawl into a new Beetle)

·
Registered
24 Posts
2ndGenIS said:
Per the Lexus Marketing rep I met today, no ML for the US cars. Must be special ordered if you want it. Sucks!!
??? They have a Nav/Levinson package - you're saying NO US-bound cars will have that package - only NAV? That doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
556 Posts
2ndGenIS said:

As for the navi, I played with it a bit today...it allowed me to highlight a building just adjacent to the Lexus dealership and press "building information". It told me that it was a Volkswagon Dealership and gave the address. Pretty nifty (not that I'm looking to crawl into a new Beetle)
Ha ha ha, yeah right. ;) My sales rep at Lexus just called me yesterday to notify me about a 350 scheculed for shipment W/ML but no NAV (not offered in HI) and told me I had first crack at it if I want. Only problem is it's not the color I want.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
BigDaddyRich said:
Who wants to find Long Beach????
my Mom and her family grew up in Long Beach, Long Island...:cool:

very cool Nav OS, I wonder if the newest Eclipse Nav/DVD units have the same OS for their Nav? hmmmmm

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flipside909 said:
Yeah a buddy of mine who previously worked for Denso in Long Beach told me when they mapped the Navi and programming for the Toyota/Lexus Nav, every POI must be accurate within a 1/10 Mile range.
Clarification, Denso, Long Beach, CA. The original...the actual city known as the LBC and the home of the Toyota Grand Prix @ Long Beach....CALIFORNIA. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
TonySCV said:
??? They have a Nav/Levinson package - you're saying NO US-bound cars will have that package - only NAV? That doesn't make any sense.
Dunno what to tell you. Just some suit from corporate in Long Beach. I'm assuming he should know what he is tlaking about, but who knows. He told all of the salespeople to advise clients that ML would not be around unless special order or potentially in future production years.

Hope he's wrong

·
Registered
210 Posts
amitkc said:
nice post flipside!

800*480 res.. not bad.. what size screen though? 6" diag?

I was going to guess 7" as that's how big the current gen screen is... but i don't have too.. it's confirmed here:

"A BluetoothTM phone, hands-free system is also integrated into the new Lexus Navigation System. It enables the user to make and receive hands-free cellular phone calls by operating the touch-sensitive 7" LCD screen, the steering pad switches or through vocal commands, accepting a maximum of 20 voice tags. Moreover, the system can store up to 1,000 contact numbers from a mobile phone."

http://my.is/forums/showpost.php?p=3684790&postcount=1

·
Registered
24 Posts
2ndGenIS said:
Dunno what to tell you. Just some suit from corporate in Long Beach. I'm assuming he should know what he is tlaking about, but who knows. He told all of the salespeople to advise clients that ML would not be around unless special order or potentially in future production years.

Hope he's wrong
Hope so too :).

In any case, if PDC and ML are special order only items, then I guess I'll be special ordering. :\

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
nice. too bad the sound system is only rated 300 watts max power.
ONLY 300 watts??? How many watts do you want?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Just like with the handling and looks of the car... I'd say wait until you actually hear the ML radio system before you start bashing it.

Before the media started getting their hands on the new IS... so many people here were saying how it would be a PIG in performance because of the weight it's gained. But look... once people actually got to drive the car... most people are producing mid 5 second 0-60 times! Now all those haters are like "Wow... it's so fast!"

So wait until you hear the radio!

·
Registered
486 Posts
TonySCV said:
300 watts divided between 7 discrete channels AND a sub isn't exactly a lot.
I read in an automag a couple years ago they had this sound contest between Lexus, Cadillac, and I forgot who the 3rd entry was. The Caddy had something like 400watts compared to the Lexus I think 275 in the Nakameche system. I know I spelled Naka Whatever wrong, but it was rated better than the two systems with more watts. They said the clarity was unreal. Just adding my 2cents. So we can get the Navi without the Mark Levinson? Thus providing bluetooth? i didn't want to have to pay for all three personally.

PS FLIPSIDE YOU HAVE BEEN ON POINT WITH ALOT OF INFO MY MAN, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
.1% THD really isnt up to ML standards, from what I recall.

300watts is plenty. Its not about how much wattage, but how accurate the reproduction is. Lexus and ML aren't looking to get a thumping system going here, they are looking to reproduce a symphony hall. While that reproduction is unrealistic, it is nice to see a premium system *somewhat* available in the low-end Lexus.

And I'm sure its a true 300w total power, not the 400 musical peak that Cadillac and other systems advertise. Those systems realistically produce 200w of decent power, whereas I'm sure the Lexus system really produces 300w of clean power. So you could say the Lexus system is the industry equivalent of 450-500w, if you share my belief.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts