Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Here's a quote from the article that people on this forum will love! ;)

Article Writer said:
The difference between VSC and VDIM is that most VSC systems feel like they are taking the wind out of your sails in order to keep you from spinning out, while VDIM acts earlier and more subtly so you rarely notice the intervention. Some automotive experts dislike the fact that the system can't be turned off to allow them to be in "total control", but my experience with VDIM equipped cars makes me ask "Why would you want to?"

·
Registered
132 Posts
Some automotive experts dislike the fact that the system can't be turned off to allow them to be in "total control", but my experience with VDIM equipped cars makes me ask "Why would you want to?"
Drifting, Opposite lock oversteer. Some folks like to hang the tail way out there and for longer than a millisecond. Drifting is very popular. VDIM prevents the New IS from being able to perform drifts.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
SpoonieG... I don't think Lexus expects the typical "new IS buyer" to want to do drifts. This is much more of a luxury car with a "sporty flavour" than a sport compact sedan. How many people do you see drifting G35 sedans???

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Crester said:
Here's a quote from the article that people on this forum will love!
Spoonie G said:
Drifting, Opposite lock oversteer. Some folks like to hang the tail way out there and for longer than a millisecond. Drifting is very popular. VDIM prevents the New IS from being able to perform drifts.
Notice the site and pre-title of the article, "A Family Car Preview Road Test", not my.is enthusiast's "I'm a l33t dorifto san" review. So the author's comment is not out of context based the boundaries and POV's of the Family Car personnel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Drifters usually build a separate car that they use specifically for drifting. Most won't be using their regular cars.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Crester said:
SpoonieG... I don't think Lexus expects the typical "new IS buyer" to want to do drifts. This is much more of a luxury car with a "sporty flavour" than a sport compact sedan. How many people do you see drifting G35 sedans???
I've yet to see any G35 sedans doing drifts but I do see plenty of g35 coupes drifting as well as BMW 4 door 3-series. I was watching Car&Driver on TV (50th anniversary show) they showed two new 3-series doing some sick drifts in tandem. It looked impressive to say the least. To bad the IS350 won’t be able to do that.

You say that the new IS350 is “much more of a luxury car with a "sporty flavour" than a sport compact sedan”. That is the opposite of the first gen IS. I guess that’s why some folks are disappointed. Too much luxury softens up the car and has an adverse effect on the sporting aspect IMO.

·
Registered
132 Posts
crontab said:
Notice the site and pre-title of the article, "A Family Car Preview Road Test", not my.is enthusiast's "I'm a l33t dorifto san" review. So the author's comment is not out of context based the boundaries and POV's of the Family Car personnel.
When did the IS turn into a family car? The first generation IS300 would never be called a family car. I like the first generations purpose (sport first, Luxury second), then I do the new IS (luxury first, sport second).

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Spoonie G said:
When did the IS turn into a family car? The first generation IS300 would never be called a family car. I like the first generations purpose (sport first, Luxury second), then I do the new IS (luxury first, sport second).
Nobody said the IS is a family car, but if you would look at the link from the site that reviews cars from the family oriented aspect and see the basis of their reviews, you will get their point.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Spoonie G said:

You would think the people who will buy the IS350 can afford to have a project drift car such as a hachie or an S13. Give me a fuckin' break, drifting the IS350. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
132 Posts
webhed said:
You would think the people who will buy the IS350 can afford to have a project drift car such as a hachie or an S13. Give me a fuckin' break, drifting the IS350. :rolleyes:
I never said anything about entering the IS350 into a drift competition. All I'm talking about is having a little sideways fun. What's wrong with wanting that? There are tons of cars out there that can provide sideways thrills. The IS300 can provide sideways thrills the IS350 doesn't. Any idea why lexus changed that? I doubt that it has anything to do with power, the 340-400hp Chrysler Hemis allow you to put all the power to the ground when you want to, not when the traction control decides that its okay. You see the problem here?

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Crester said:
That doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to do that if we want to.

That's what bother's people: Without an OFF button, Lexus is saying you're not allowed to do certain things with the car.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
I had sideways fun with my IS last weekend... its great fun to get the backend out for a few seconds.... having Lexus tell me I cant is a big turn off, and will probably be the reason I dont buy the IS350...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
here's the solution.
get an is300 for drifting.
and get an is350 for daily driving.
you'll then have the best of both worlds. : )

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Webmaster and Houston took the words right out of my brain. It's MY car, I paid $42k for it, I should be able to take it sideways if I wanted to.

On a side note, I should be able to row my own gears if I want too, but thats a whole other can of worms.

Hopefully some of the other IS variants being developed will address these kind of desires.

BTW, IMHO, I think the family sedan excuse is pretty weak. I mean, in that case, who needs a 306hp family sedan?? This is their sport sedan. The ES is their luxo-family sedan. It's all part of Lexus's 2 car strategy which is getting more and more bleary as time goes by.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
IS JOE said:
BTW, IMHO, I think the family sedan excuse is pretty weak. I mean, in that case, who needs a 306hp family sedan?? This is their sport sedan. The ES is their luxo-family sedan. It's all part of Lexus's 2 car strategy which is getting more and more bleary as time goes by.
Again, no one said the IS is a family sedan. Read. A car review site aimed at families critiquing an IS with permanent safety features, stating why one would need to turn off VDIM, is weak? You obviously are missing their point. They have all the right to review any vehicle with the family in mind and are praising the vehicle by their standards.

There is nothing wrong with that.

The fact the VDIM cannot be toggled, is another matter that will be beaten to death for about a year or so and shouldn't have been brought up in this particular thread.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Spoonie G said:
I never said anything about entering the IS350 into a drift competition. All I'm talking about is having a little sideways fun. What wrong with wanting that? There are tons of cars out there that can provide sideways thrills. The IS300 can provide sideways thrills the IS350 doesn't. Any idea why lexus changed that? I doubt that it has anything to do with power, the 340-400hp Chrysler Hemis allow you to put all the power to the ground when you want to, not when the traction control decides that its okay. You see the problem here?
Spoonie G said:

The sentence in bold gives me the impression that you want to drift more often than necessary. Either that or you're a wanna-be drifter that does it on public streets.

·
Registered
132 Posts
webhed said:
The sentence in bold gives me the impression that you want to drift more often than necessary. Either that or you're a wanna-be drifter that does it on public streets.
It doesn't matter if you do it once a year or every day. The New IS won’t let you do it all. That's the problem. I can't understand why some folks can't comprehend this.

Also, You ever heard of an empty parking lot?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Spoonie G said:
It doesn't matter if you do it once a year or every day. The New IS won’t let you do it all. That's the problem. I can't understand why some folks can't comprehend this.

Also, You ever heard of an empty parking lot?
The new target market for this car is people around 35. I'm 33, "drifting" in a parking lot is the last thing I'm interested in. If you're below 30, Lexus isn't trying to sell this car to you, keep (or buy) the IS300.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts