Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just recently bought a Used IS 350. It's certified with warranty and stuff. Don't really plan to make any changes but was still curious what kind of changes I could make performance and aesthetic wise without voiding warranty, if any?

Annd here's a pic!

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum! That color looks great on that car.

There are very few engine performance mods you can make, warrantied or not:

Intakes will improve the sound and add at most 5 hp. Buy the F-Sport intake from Lexus if you want warranty coverage.

Exhaust also change the sound and give modest hp gains (5 to 12 hp). Again get Lexus to install their overpriced exhaust if you want warranty.

There are some extremely costly and hard-to-find supercharger and header kits that return limited hp gains at the cost of voiding your warranty and your legal compliance.

Handling wise, you have a lot more options:
- Tires. I replaced my OEM tires with GoodYear Eagle F1's, and it made a world of difference. Also get winter tires if it ever snows or gets below 40 in your area! Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-25's work great on that car.
- Suspension. Lowering springs, gas shocks, coilovers and sway bars are all available from various vendors - including Lexus!

A couple of simple aesthetic mods I made to my IS350: paint and decals on those ugly front calipers (DIY for $40); and Lexus sport pedals ($100)

There are also plenty of body kits including some Lexus ones.

Beyond that, keep you car maintained according to the manual and feed it Premium gas and Synthetic oil, and change your engine air filter at least every 15,000 miles and you'll get years of trouble-free enjoyment!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
That pretty much covers the major performance stuff, such as it is... a few notes I'd add-

If you want an intake, just get the Joe Z... $110 or so, and all the performance of the 300-400 buck intakes...it's just quieter (and you can cut holes in the lower airbox to match the F-sport if you want more noise). Don't worry about warranty on an intake, it's just a tube, there's literally nothing to go "bad" on it.

Regarding exhaust, again, for a legal axle-back there's really nothing to go bad... I prefer my lexus to be quietier so I picked up a used Tanabe for $400...you can spend 3x that on the F-sport, new, and get the same performance but a bit more noise. There's certainly louder than both available if it's what you want.

For handling I'd strongly recommend the F-sport sway bars, easily the best, most noticable, improvement I've done, and you and a buddy can swap them on in about 1-2 hours with basic hand tools.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips/info guys!

How much would FSport sway bars and Intake cost each?

It came with brand new tires, so ill probably hold off on those, but will keep the suggested ones in mind.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Thanks for the tips/info guys!

How much would FSport sway bars and Intake cost each?

It came with brand new tires, so ill probably hold off on those, but will keep the suggested ones in mind.
Rumor has it april-ish there's gonna be a nice sale on F-sport stuff...

otherwise I'd check both ebay and with one of the common forum vendor-dealers (Sewell Lexus and Lexus of Westminster both come to mind)

Currently it looks like $320 is about your best price (Ebay for reference) on the intake and about $410 for the sways.

Honestly I'd recommend the Joe Z intake unless you're in California... performance will be identical and it's about 1/3rd the cost (1/2 the cost if you add needing to buy your own reusable filter with the Joe Z). The "tube" part of the F-sport is basically identical to the Joe Z part (which was available first by the way and is made/sold by a forum member)

If you're in CA then go with the F-sport as it's the only one with CARB certification.

Stick to F-sport for the sways though, best option there.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nice, welcome to the IS world Mysta. Where are you located?

I didn't see the Navi Hack (assuming you have Navigation) and the SoundLinQ2 (SL2Vi) - iPod Video Interface Adapter install mentioned. That's all I've done so far in my 2008 IS 350 which I bought new in 2009. Once you do those, you can connect your iPod to your stereo system through an iPod cable instead of using an aux cable and you can control from the steering wheel and stereo system too. If you have the appropriate iPod you can also watch videos off of it on your navi screen. And once you do the Navigation hack, you can watch these videos and do some other navi activities while driving. The Navigation Hack Part II is the switch installation which lets you do destination input while driving.

Going through this thread reminds me that I still need to look into a Joe-Z intake (which I know is $110 from above). I also need to do the filter which I can't remember what to do about, but I know Knightshade explained things to me earlier. (I should probably do the filter soon since my car is now at 21+k miles and a little over a year old - at least since I've owned it).

The F-Sport sway bar is new. I'm going to look into that too, see if I can find some threads discussing what I need to install and how to go about it. seems I should wait until April for that

Regarding the tires, this winter I had put Blizzak LM-60 tires (225/40R18 for the fronts, 255/40R18 for the rears) on my original stock rims. I'll be going back to my OEM summer tires in a few weeks once I find another set of stock rims (I don't want to swap tires on my original rim again). I think my OEM tires are the Bridgestone Turanza ER33 but I can't remember for sure. They will probably die this year so I'll be looking into new tires to put on in Spring 2011.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Shahryar, I'm from Greenville, SC. Don't have to deal with a *lot* of snow, though we've had 3 good snows this year.

How much effort goes into the hacks? I actually have a Zune so the iPod interface wouldn't benefit me, though I wish I could do something like that as I hate having to open the center console every time I want to switch music(There's no room for cords to extend out.

Also, what exactly prevents the Navigation from playing DVDs if it loads new software off of DVDs? Is it just a Software limitation?

I'm assuming since it's all software I could always load it back to stock if I needed to take it into Lexus for something.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Thanks for the info Shahryar, I'm from Greenville, SC. Don't have to deal with a *lot* of snow, though we've had 3 good snows this year.

How much effort goes into the hacks? I actually have a Zune so the iPod interface wouldn't benefit me, though I wish I could do something like that as I hate having to open the center console every time I want to switch music(There's no room for cords to extend out.

Also, what exactly prevents the Navigation from playing DVDs if it loads new software off of DVDs? Is it just a Software limitation?

I'm assuming since it's all software I could always load it back to stock if I needed to take it into Lexus for something.

If your car has nav without Mark Levinson then you have a 6-disc CD changer in your stereo system.

If you got Nav with ML you'd have a 6-disc DVD changer in your stereo system.

In either system there is a DVD-ROM drive mounted behind the clock face that contains your nav disc, but it's not capable of playing any sort of media, it's simply a data drive for the nav computer.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a Joe-Z intake pipe and a K & N filter which has got me a tad over 500hp.*

I do a quarter mile in about 11 seconds even.*

You'd probably want to go that route and also do a repaint. That is a God awful colour you picked.**

*I'm full of sh*t.

** Same colour as my car... looks great, ignore pretty much everything I write.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your car has nav without Mark Levinson then you have a 6-disc CD changer in your stereo system.

If you got Nav with ML you'd have a 6-disc DVD changer in your stereo system.

In either system there is a DVD-ROM drive mounted behind the clock face that contains your nav disc, but it's not capable of playing any sort of media, it's simply a data drive for the nav computer.
Ahh alright, I read that there is actually a Zune compatible interface that connects to the same one the SL2Vi does. Called SL2Vu, anyone ever heard of that one?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hey Knightshade... do you have a DIY posted on the sway bar intsallation?

Would their installation have any effect (good or bad) on driving in the snow?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Hey Knightshade... do you have a DIY posted on the sway bar intsallation?

Would their installation have any effect (good or bad) on driving in the snow?
The bars come with directions... didn't bother taking pics when I did mine as it really is as simple as lift one end up, remove old bar, install new one.

The rear takes like 15 minutes to swap.

The front takes more like 45 min-1 hour, but only because you have to remove some under-panels first (they're all fairly obvious/easy and explained in the directions, just takes some time to get em all off, then back on)

as to driving in snow... well, the car understeers significantly from the factory... the sways get it closer to neutral but not all the way, and certainly they don't push it into any significant natural oversteer state...so I suspect you'll still be fine as long as you've gotten used to them in normal weather for at least a few weeks first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, maybe a silly question. I was reading about lights and saw some of the cars come with HID and some without. I'm not exactly a guru on light technologies.. But I know my lights turn with the car to an extent, and the running lights/fog lights are your typical yellow/white color, and when I turn on normal lights or auto at night, they are a bluish/whitish tint. Can't really tell in this picture but maybe you can. Anyway, I was wondering how hard it would be to match the running lights and/or fog lights to the headlights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.