Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my HP racing header and mid pipe installed. When in drive at a light it rattles and vibrates. I looked and 2 other shops looked and could find nothing loose or rubbing. They said it might be where the mid pipe and my L-tuned exhaust join? Maybe a little flexing till it breaks in.
:pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
first of all...is it an auto or manual??? cause you say when you're at a light...so i'm assuming your car is an auto and it happens when you're in drive and sitting at a light...

anyway, i'd take it to a shop that has a lift. lift it up in the air and put it in drive and stay on the brake. basically simulating the "at the light" thing...then have someone check. if you can find an alignment shop, that might be better cause they have those lifts that have the car's suspension loaded...OR...if you know someone at jiffy lube or something...with those big pits...anyway, this would be the best way of finding your culprit...in my opinion anyway...

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have the same header and had the same problem. As mentioned in the previous post, your header is about 1/2 mm from the transmission housing and that is the rattle point. I placed a hose clamp around the header and in-between the header and transmission at the point of rattle and that fixed the problem.

However, 8 months later and my rattle is starting to come back. I haven't had the time to check if the clamp moved somehow, which is probably the case.

If you have the time and money, I suggest taking your car to someone who can loosen the header and take a drummel drill to carve a notch into the transmission housing at the point of rattle to give more space between the two. That is my plan once my project is started in a month or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts