Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok for years we have been doing headlights for customers and every so often we get a I want black chrome or I want dark blue chrome tossed in the mix. After seeing other companies attempts at this process we decided it wasn't for us. I will list why below.

1. It comes out blotchy.
2. It's vehicle tint and not uniformed through out the headlight (spray on)
3. If I wouldn't want it on my car because of quality I'm not going to do it for others.

So fast forward a few years, I am now looking for some aluminum coatings to mix up our suspension line a little, my search brought me right back to where I was three years ago, a company that can plate plastic, but three years ago it was new to them and a 1 million dollar open sore to them. Now they are dead on good with this machine. I have their rep pick up my new rear strut bar and some rigid bars to coat for me and while he is picking them up I see some plastic on his car done up in black chrome. At this point I decided to gut a headlight and give him the insert. Today i go to pick up the items and I am amazed, below you will see why.

Now we can get items plated any color we want, we decided to go with an Aurora coating and it came out steller. I took the pics and edited the size to be honest, there are some flaws and the reason behind that is they didn't know how thick they could go in the coat so that will be fixed.

Here are pictures of our Tunedparts rigid bars and a single headlight insert. Since this is Aurora chrome the light wasn't the best, I will try to take some daytime pics when it's not raining.

Now the colors can be played with and changed up some, depends on how it's shot. We are going to go thicker on headlights in the future.

Just wanted to update you on our constant effort to grow and expand, this plating is the same as oem black chrome, but changed up!

David

·
Registered
964 Posts
definately looks good. thanks for lookin out!

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
black chrome EASY!..

here is what im doing, base headlights any color chrome group buy. It's a tad more in price than painting but it's well worth it.

As for aluminum parts, we will offer our products in this coating, on headlights we do not like to use used lights as dust build up means more handling time and a not so steller finish. New headlights will be handled by us in a clean room we are working on, then sealed up and taken to their clean room.

D

·
Registered
766 Posts
*stands up and applauds* that is awesome :worship:

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Damn David, those look amazing. We were talking about this a couple weeks ago, and you post up some very promising pics today. With new OEM headlights, and using my existing fogs, how much would a set in dark chrome cost? Just to be sure we're on the same page, the dark chrome won't have the Ti rainbow effect...right? GB price?

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok guys, i started the same thread in our vendor area, lets talk over there for ideas and prices. Im VERY scared of doing open items, if finger prints hit it, dust, chemicals etc etc then the process is off and cost more. So on new lights we can go from there, if you open your tails and fogs and send them to me they cannot have any of the above.

lets post and talk over there, im using the inside and out area just to show off the plating vs spray method........

OUT WITH THE VHT SPRAY TINT, and IN WITH AURORA PLATING!!!

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn David, those look amazing. We were talking about this a couple weeks ago, and you post up some very promising pics today. With new OEM headlights, and using my existing fogs, how much would a set in dark chrome cost? Just to be sure we're on the same page, the dark chrome won't have the Ti rainbow effect...right? GB price?

BLACK CHROME is so deep and dark with a great shine to it, im going to plate some of my rear strut bars in it...... So ya, no titanium look to it.
D

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Wow! Nice! What about sending you regular chrome emblems and have them black pearled or black chrome? That would be nice instead of buying new black pearl emblems which are expensive. Would it be cheap to do this?

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! Nice! What about sending you regular chrome emblems and have them black chromed? That would be nice instead of buying new black pearl emblems.
This process isn't cheap, even if i do favors and just get it done it's not cheap... I can see if he can give me good rates and go from there.

I have a 3 hour sit down this Thursday, i will address this with them.

D

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You would have to go through us, or start the long research path to find someone near you that can duplicate the technology. I have spent years researching this and it's not easy to learn of find people to do it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You would have to go through us, or start the long research path to find someone near you that can duplicate the technology. I have spent years researching this and it's not easy to learn of find people to do it.
can you give me a quote on how much it would be to coat the rims, 18".

pm me

heres a pic of the color i want, at least something close to this.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.