Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new here. I am currently in the process of purchasing an IS300. But I really want to know expert advice in pricing, quality, and performance of this vehicle. So please give me all your experiences. And what prices did you guys pay for your ride. I am currently driving a well modded 95 Honda Accord EX coupe, so want a car with more room and luxurious and definitley room for more performance. Thank you!

[ March 28, 2001: Message edited by: isdragon ]

[ March 28, 2001: Message edited by: isdragon ]

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I've had the IS since early December and the initial excitement still has not worn off.

There is a growing market of aftermarket companies producing and retailing parts for the IS.

IMO the strong points of the IS are the brakes and the steering. The brakes can haul the car down in very little brake distance. As for the steering, it is sharp and very responsive to steering input. There is no vague feeling in the steering at any speed.

IMO the weak link in the stock IS is the suspension. In stock form there is noticeable body roll when loading the car in corners. Also, the transitions from corner to corner tend to upset the chasis a little. The answer is to install stiffer/larger sway bars. I've installed TRD race sway bars on mine and it corners flat and I have higher entry and exit speeds in corners. If you want to go even farther then after market springs and shocks will give you the ultimate in handling.

The engine is smooth and the power band is broad. The car quickly gets to 80-90 mph.

This board is invaluable in providing the IS owner and car enthusiasts with timely and relevant info (shameless plug).

You just have to remember that coming from a Honda, that this car is front engine and RWD so it will drive completely different from your previous driving experiences. I've driven RWD all my life and know the handling characteristics of a RWD layout. I've autocrossed RWD cars for years and know how RWD cars behave at the limit. I suggest you familiarize yourself w/the handling of a RWD car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Risk3233, for all your info. I didn't know that RWD is an another ball game. Anyway, I am more concerned with being comfortable and a smooth and quiet ride quality. I am getting older now and I am done with the "hooking up Hondas" stage and want to settle something that is fun to drive, but don't want to dig a hole in my wallet. So can someone tell me what is the best deal you can get for a fully loaded IS?? Thanks in advance.

·
11,061 Posts
Originally posted by isdragon:
I didn't know that RWD is an another ball game. Anyway, I am more concerned with being comfortable and a smooth and quiet ride quality. I am getting older now and I am done with the "hooking up Hondas" stage and want...something that is fun to drive... So can someone tell me what is the best deal you can get for a fully loaded IS?? Thanks in advance.
Sounds like the IS is your kind of car. I wanted lots of fun too, but heck, I'm 42...and of course, wanted the ride quality and basic comfort too. Price varies on your location. Seems like the guys in California are paying a lot compared to say, Georgia. Poor guy in Hawaii has only one dealer...and they, apparently, aren't dealing. Generally, the price is coming down though. If you search this site you'll find some people have gotten great deals...Some even under 32K loaded. Depends on your options and how hungry the dealer is. Since the 2002s will be out this summer, they will be wanting to unload the 2001s...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know where in Jersey you are, but Ray catena in Englewood gave me a price of 30,800 for a fully loaded IS. I didn't take the offer because they had no BLUE/BLACK
leather combo's. In order to get that price I had to take what was on their lot.
Just call around and get quotes..hang up on anyone who quotes you over 32,000. (minus tax of course) when you call the first dealer tell him you got a deal for 31,500 or something. See if he will try to beat that, when you get him to commit..take his price to the next dealer. I got mine for 31,300 (minus tax) could have went lower but, I had to go with it because they had SBM/black, which seems hard to get in the NY/NJ area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey zxarkon, thanks for the info, at least I know how low can a dealer go for a new IS. Anyway, I do live near the NYC/NJ area, can you provide me the phone numbers to the place that you bought your car and Ray Catena's??? Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
The number to Ray Catena in NJ is (732) 493-5000.
I am picking mine up this Saturday. I got it from ray Catena in Larchmont. Which is upstate, right over the Throgs Neck Bridge. The number is (914) 833-5000. The salesman I dealt with there was George Tanner. He was a very straight up guy. We agreed on the price and he wrote it up that way. Very simple not too much of that salesman BS..... Well maybe a little
good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts