Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did everybody satisfied with new ECU replacement? I heard that it fixes hesitation problem but it will shift even more harder.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I just got my fix, I notice a difference in that there is not any more hesitation. As for quicker or more responsive, I don't see anything. It's good to get if you have the hesitation problem.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Originally posted by shinto:
I just got my fix, I notice a difference in that there is not any more hesitation. As for quicker or more responsive, I don't see anything. It's good to get if you have the hesitation problem.
shinto,
What dealer in Texas did your update? I'm still trying to get mine done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got mine back from lex of silverspring. I like it!!! The car feels more responsive. I tried to accelerate hard in turns and haven't experienced hesitation yet. I hope this helps. Another thing I'd like to point out is that this fix should bring pre feb'01 cars to the same level as the pos feb'01 cars, so if the post feb'01 owners aren't complaining, we should be fine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i'd agree with the above. it definitely took away the hesitation problems on the low end. it feels smooth throughout even when accelerating out of a driveway. i'd wouldn't say that it makes the car tremendously faster, but the low end does feel more responsive. the problem for me is just getting used to it. i'm so used to backing off of the gas to avoid the hesitation that i'm somewhat too timid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I JUST HAD MY ECU RE-PROGRAMED AND THE TRAC
ECU REPLACE.........SHIFT HARSHNESS IS GONE
AND SO IS THE HESITATION.......GOOD DEAL!!!!

MILLINIUM SILVER

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
What dealer in Texas did your update? I'm still trying to get mine done.
marke1,
I got it done in Houston, Westside Lexus. I'm not sure if they have them in stock, he may have to order it for you. Took me a while to get mine in.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have put over a thousand miles on my IS300 with the new ECU fix and I have no complaints. It seems to have fixed the hesitation problems that were so annoying with the original units.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i just got my car back from the dealer and them emphatically refused to do the trans ECU and reflash for my car, even though my VIN fell much lower than those listed in the TSIB. i have hesitation and on this particular right turn near my house, i can rev, watch the tach rise, and then have my transmission kick in. they couldn't reproduce at their place.

they said that the reflash is basically a degrade in the system by turning off the intelligence in the VVT-i system. instead, they pulled the negative terminal and reset everything and asked me to drive around again.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will try to explain the problems the best I can.
The hesitation only happens in very low speed and low gear. A good example of showing the hesitation is slowing down the car to almost stop, but not completely stop (California stop), and then step on the gas to accelerate. The car will hesitate for about a second and then takes off. You can feel the car jerking when this happens. If you car doesn’t do this, you don’t need the ECU reprogramming (not replacing).
The other problem is the TRAC kicks in way too often (too sensitive). You can experience with this by coming to a complete stop (with the TRAC ON) and then make a 90 degree left of right hand turn and then step on the gas. When the TRAC kicks in, you can feel that the rear wheels are “hopping” and the yellow “slip” light on the dash will come on. The problem is that even you don’t accelerate that hard, the TRAC still kicks in.

My IS also shifts hard between 2nd and 3rd. After the ECU reprogramming and TRAC ECU replacement, all the shifting problems are gone and the TRAC is not that sensitive now.

Hope this help.

·
11,061 Posts
Got my upgrades on June 16th. There is a real improvement. The shifting is smoother and there is less hesitation at low speeds. Still haven't figured out if I should following the advice of the service manager to leave the car in power mode permanently or not. He TOLD me it would work better in power mode. I don't know if the difference is enough for normal driving. Still experimenting.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've gone almost 2000 miles since my ECU fix in May and the hesitation is definitely g-o-n-e. Quite honestly, I have noticed no other changes. And, that's fine, cuz the low-speed-hesitation was the only gripe I had.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Originally posted by wf:
i just got my car back from the dealer and them emphatically refused to do the trans ECU and reflash for my car, even though my VIN fell much lower than those listed in the TSIB. i have hesitation and on this particular right turn near my house, i can rev, watch the tach rise, and then have my transmission kick in. they couldn't reproduce at their place.

they said that the reflash is basically a degrade in the system by turning off the intelligence in the VVT-i system. instead, they pulled the negative terminal and reset everything and asked me to drive around again.

any suggestions?
I'd call the 1-800 Lexus number and complain, then find another dealer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just got my update done this past Wednesday and I love the difference. I definitely had the hesitation and super-aggressive TRAC. The car feels a little funny since I too was compensating for the problems. Its almost like I have to re-learn how to drive my car.

Also, I don't notice any problems driving without power mode.

Overall, I'm very happy.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I feel the delay in shifting between 2nd and 3rd, and my TRAC seem's too sensitive to me, but I don't know. My vin is PAST the TSB vin's listed, but the 2nd to 3rd makes the engine really rap out, come very close to redline sometimes. Can I, or should I ask for the TRAC update, or ECU. Car was made on April 1, 2001 and remember the VIN is newer than what's listed in the TSB.

What should I do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is their a official bulletin on the ECU/TRAC ECU update somewhere i can get my hands on to sho the dealer if they give any ****!!!!Do you have to pay for the reprogramming and replacing of the ECU's or is it covered under the WARRANTY?????? Gonna go have mine done cause from what was explained, mine is doing the same. At not a complete stop, when i step on the gas the pedal is soft and no response for a second then bammmmm the car takes offfff. With the TRAC also, hard right or left turns the trac kicks in and the car loses all responsiveness. Any imfo would greatly appreciative.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
TSIB stands for "Technical Service Information Bulletin", and yes it is free, covered under warranty.

here's the info Mo posted on clublexus.com.

"Here is the information everyone has been waiting for.
If your dealership does not know (or pretends not to know), about the update tell them to look up the following Technical Service Information Bulletin:
TSIB EG003-01

It has been officially released and available now. The update is a two part update depending on your problems, one is an engine ECU update program and the second is replacement of the TRAC ecu.

Also remember to be patient on the dealers because it just got released and many dealerships may not be prepared and may not be able to get the TRAC ecu on time if corporate gets into a back order state."

"The ECU reprogram update affects all IS300s whose VIN number is LOWER/BEFORE 10025186

The TRAC ECU replacement affects all IS300s whose VIN number is LOWER/BEFORE 10029014

These is no specific Manufacture date but VIN number verification."

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts