Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...the Oct Car and Driver has a review of the IS300 (the car that they tested is Graphite Grey w/ivory interior with piping and wood it also has graphite wheels I think, they don't look to dark but have a luster to them), overall they seem to like the car but think it needs more refinement before it can take on the BMW 3 and Audi A4

Highs:Smooth, torquey engine; precise steering; intimate atmosphere.

Lows:Occasionally clumpy ride, persistent understand, some wallowing.

The Verdict:An option for the anti-BMW driver

0-60: 7.6 sec

1/4 Mile: 15.9 sec @ 89mph

Top speed: 144mph (governed)

They think that the IS3 will become quicker as the engine is broken in.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I guess the 7.6 second 0-60 time is more evidence that shows the IS300 accelerates to 60 in the mid 7's at best....
Eric....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeah, you're right. But not all cars get faster with break-in.

Originally posted by mrclam:
yeah, i suppose it will go faster once broken in, but that's how they test ALL cars...

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
um i think i'd disagree wtih that...no wi'm not positive about this but i think after cars have been broken in the engine seals and all that crap are more settled and after the first oil change MOST cars should be faster shoul dthey not? well tahts' what i've heard about most cars...so i dunno

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well a few years ago CAR & DRIVER road tested a Lamborghini Diablo VT. The car went from 0-60 in 5.9 seconds (slower than a my GS400
) Anyways there was a flood of Letters to the editor yelling at them for testing a BRAND NEW car with a few miles on it. They said that the engine was still green and that after a few thousand miles it would be closer to the factory specs. Perhaps the same holds true for the IS300.
Eric.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think Car & Driver got it exactly right. The IS is a nice car, it looks great, and it comes packed with alot of features that would cost extra on a BMW. Nevertheless, the BMW is still a better car in almost all respects. (Although, I admit the IS may turn out to be cheaper to maintain in the long run.)

I have driven both of these cars extensively and the BMW is simply more comfortable, faster, and better handling. When Car & Driver does a comparo (probably within a few months) I predict the IS might beat out the Audi A4 but the Bimmer will still win out.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Clambake, my mom's 1986 Chevy Celebrity wagon with 4 speed manual was not faster after break-in. Just FYI.

Originally posted by mrclam:
um i think i'd disagree wtih that...no wi'm not positive about this but i think after cars have been broken in the engine seals and all that crap are more settled and after the first oil change MOST cars should be faster shoul dthey not? well tahts' what i've heard about most cars...so i dunno

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
FYI: That Car and Driver article shows the IS300 at 3380lbs... (110 more than Lexus quotes). I am sure the extra weight would slow it down some, but why does it weigh more than the 3270lbs that Lexus publishes???

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
TEG,
In Car & Driver the cars road tested usually weigh more than the factory figures. I'm assuming that some of this weight is the road test equipment as well. Plus the road test summary in the back of Car & Driver reads that every car road tested is tested with a full tank of gas as well.
Eric...

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
what options? maybe lexus quoted figures for the bare bones standard and they tested a fully/semi loaded car, so the added weight of power seats, moonroof etc plus the testing equipment could explain any extra weight...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The Car and Driver test car seemed to have the luxury package with power seats, and other things that would add some weight.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
It's a pretty good review. I agree with almost everything. As for the acceleration, I agree with some of the posts here: it gets better after you've broken into the engine. Mine does it in around 7 seconds. But then there's a lot more to a car than how long it takes from 0-60mph. Overall, I love my IS300, and I think made the perfect choice. I'm still enjoying exclusivity and attention here in Central NJ. And the more I drive my IS, the more I enjoy it. I'm planning on paying mine off in about 4 years...hopefully, by that time, Lexus will come out with an all new version, which I will definitely buy.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
103 Posts
They probably had the TRAC on which can significantly slow down acceleration if it thinks you're losing traction. Once turning the TRAC Off and the ECT Power on, this car will most likely reach those 7.1 figures given by Lexus.

------------------
Russ Johnson
'01 Auburn Sky

[From TEG: The arcticle specifically states that they had the trac off, the trans in power mode, and they did some engine braking to get the torque converter loaded before launch. They did the right stuff. They were surprised that they didn't get the Lexus claims. ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited September 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am not an expert. My car is still within the break in period, 800 miles. I have had the opportunity to get on it but not all the way and to me the car is FAST.

I obvisouly do not have a way to calculate the seconds from 0-60 but in my head as I am taking off I am always at 60 by the time I count to 7. I know that is not official, but hey to me the car is plenty fast!

·
Registered
23 Posts
...why does it weigh more than the 3270lbs that Lexus publishes???
C&D actually weighs the car. I read a reply to one of their letters that explained how manufacturer's curb weight numbers cannot be trusted. My guess is Lexus publishes the base car's curb weight (as most car companies probably do.) A sunroof alone can add 70-100lbs. BTW, curb weight does not include the test gear.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Originally posted by ISFAN:
I am not an expert. My car is still within the break in period, 800 miles. I have had the opportunity to get on it but not all the way and to me the car is FAST.

I obvisouly do not have a way to calculate the seconds from 0-60 but in my head as I am taking off I am always at 60 by the time I count to 7. I know that is not official, but hey to me the car is plenty fast!
Anyone can do an accurate timing with a little gizmo called the G-TECH/Pro. Here's more info:
http://www.gtechpro.com/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts