Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone says they'd rather get new brakes than have to have costly repairs on their transmissions. but lets say im approaching a 90 degree turn in third gear going 30-40 mph. and it's necessary i slow down to about 10-20 for any reason. ppl say, dont downshift to slow down, use the brakes instead. well, say i use the brake to get to 10-20 mph, dont i need to shift to 2nd anyways? or am i supposed to keep it in 3rd, btw, at 10-20mph it bogs in third. i would guess that i have to shift to 2nd, so isn't that the same as downshifting?

sorry this question doesnt concern the IS300 i just can't find ppl who either know or take the time to answer other's questions

another question.. i know ur supposed to have half an inch of freeplay on the clutch pedal.. i feel half an inch, and then a notch, and then about another halfinch of space, and then the real clutch part. is it supposed to be like this? or is that last half-inch the amount of clutch that i wore out?
thanks

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
it depends, if you have a stickshift, go ahead and downshift, but if you have an auto and you force the tranny to downshift, then it causes wear and tear, if it shifts on its own i think it'd be fine =)

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
As long as you match revs properly (and perhaps double clutch), downshifting won't harm your tranny. Use your brakes to slow down, but downshift so you won't bog down coming out of a turn.

I don't know if this has any relevance to your particular condition of your clutch, but have you checked the transmission fluid? I changed/filled the reservoir once, and the clutch felt much better afterwards.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks JW.
about the clutch, i just noticed that extra half inch and wanted to see if it was supposed to be there or if it just got there. i'm still not sure, i'll check the fluid in a bit.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another thing, is the reason why people say using brakes is better than downshifting because
1) the car is slowing down using the gear
OR
2) the act of downshifting itself

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I think the main concern with downshifting to induce engine braking is transmission damage (mostly premature clutch wear, I think).

I once asked about engine braking on a different forum a while back, and this was the answer I got:

I asked, "Anyone have tips on how to use engine braking w/o frying the clutch?"

The answer was: "hit neutral, release the clutch, rev, clutch in and downshift. It's easier on the components but not really necessary these days, the brakes are easier to replace than a clutch and stronger, too."

I asked this question because someone recommended using engine braking when you break-in a car w/ manual transmission. I suppose it's not really necessary to use engine braking except on hills.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited October 10, 2000).]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if i wanted to downshift, should i do the double-clutch mentioned in ur post JW, or should i do regular rev-matching

1 - 9 of 9 Posts