Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know you can do the TT Supra brake swap, (How much have different members paid for the TT Supra brakes?) but I'm curious if there are any other options out there. Perhaps:
  1. SC430
  2. IS250/350/IS-F
  3. RX3**
  4. GS 3rd Gen
  5. Or???

Also what is the most cost effective aftermarket BBK?
And YES I have done a search for this info and read many very old threads and because of those searches I read and learned a lot of cool stuff just not really what I wanted. (It funny reading some of the threads from like 5-6 years ago and people talking about stuff that is new, or not caring about certain parts as much that have now become rare and quite hard, if not impossible to get. I love the archives of "IS" info on here)

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Most cost effective way, is to get stickier tires, get aftermarket pads, ss lines and new fluid.

BBK's are for looks only, trust me.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah from what I can tell our brakes are pretty good OEM and if anything the Supra TT Brakes would be the way to go. Also what you mentioned of course. I noticed that setup is quite popular.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
The big brake set up is not an over kill. Supra TT set up will run you about 800-900 just look for all the parts. Theres a thread on the parts you will need. I was thinking of going that route till i got stuck on the idea of fabricating some Evo Brembos onto my IS.

The stock IS brake system is preaty good. As others will tell you. Yet if you want the look. Get the Supra TT Kit.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want more than "the look", I want performance

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Then you need the all exclusive 12 pot calipers.. :)

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Keep an eye out for a new BBK to be coming out soon from TDLI.

I've been evaluating a kit he is about to start offering.

The set I have is a 6 piston setup, aluminum caliper, 330mm rotors. The rotors aren't all that much bigger, stock is 296mm, but my initial impression with the cold temps and salty roads is that there is definitely an improvement, one that is not just a placebo effect.

I'll have an even better idea of how the brakes perform once the race season starts. Once the weather improves, I'll snap pics.

I took one pic of just the calipers over on ISfanatics

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
The Supra brakes have yet to be proven "effective" as no one has gone far enough to create a properly biased setup with those front calipers. It's currently not a good option at all.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Explain this not proven thing further. Anyone? The Supra TT Calipers suck??

·
Registered
679 Posts
I guess I would fit into the "other options" category (5.). Well for most people, this is not the most cost effective BBK, but it definitely performs and its worth every bit of $$$$ IMO.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Explain this not proven thing further. Anyone? The Supra TT Calipers suck??
It's not that the supra TT calipers suck...they're quite good actually.

But the brakes work as a system. The TT calipers, when thrown into the stock system, with the stock rear brakes, becomes overly front biased. This makes for a very unstable (and longer) braking car.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know, I'll save my money! Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
I guess you've haven't seen my thread: http://my.is/forums/f89/supra-tt-brakes-retrofit-done-finally-lots-pics-349949/

4+ months and not a single problem. It even saved my from a couple serious accidents.
Just because you slapped some brakes on doesn't mean it was done properly.

You still have the stock master cylinder and haven't done anything about brake proportioning.

TeCKis300 said truth in his post. Though I don't totally agree with longer breaking.

People just want supra calipers just to say they have them and they claim they stop better when the people posting don't even use them at their limits at the track. Bigger brakes aren't just to stop. It's their ability to dissipate heat and apply pressure under stress better than the stock smaller brakes.

Do what Pawel and buy tires, pads, oil and, SS lines.

Save yourself the money.

If you INSIST on splurging on brakes, you can buy brakes off of a Turbo II rx7, 300zx as well as a plethora of other cars (All made by sumitomo) and make brackets to toss them on your car. With a little research and time you can have a brake setup that works great for a fraction of the price.

Grind off the badging on whichever caliper you go with, powdercoat and everone here will be on your nuts.

/thread

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I know a lot of people put the 300z TT calipers on their 240sx, but I guess they're all retards too? I've seen it in magazines too (current it issue of Project Car or whatever it is).

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
Yeah I know a lot of people put the 300z TT calipers on their 240sx, but I guess they're all retards too? I've seen it in magazines too (current it issue of Project Car or whatever it is).
Most of the car mag stuff is crap.

A mass majority change the master brake cylinder also. Which is kind of funny. Because some 240 people are dumb and stubborn as hell and they grasped this concept.

Unlike the people posting up on here who just slap shit on their car, take pics and, call it a day.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Our stock brakes work incredibly well. Stainless steel lines, Street/Race Pads, Racing brake fluid, and brembo blanks or slotted rotors are perfect for a street car. All the guys who actually do "performance" events such as autox or track pretty much go this route. Now unless you are doing long endurance events or your seriously track your car, a BBK will be absolutely useless to you in every way (they exist to prevent brake fade anyway).

Save yourself the trouble and get some sticky tires. I mean real sticky ones like Falken Azenis or Advan Neovas. Those will be the biggest upgrade to stopping power you can hope for...Period

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Brake fade was a big problem for me when i had the stock calipers out front. For regular driving i agree there is no reason to change other than for racing and or looks. But when you go over 140mph and you get on the brakes... yeah you'll be switching them out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts