Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys heard the news? Off of the vtec.net website the new Acura TL Type-S with the Cl Type-S engine is coming out next year... It's gonna have 260HP and a 6-spd manual and a restyled front and rear end. Hopefully Lexus takes a hint and increases power somehow, or its gonna have a hard time keeping up...Oh yea, this isn't meant to start any flame wars, i'm a GS400 owner and am neutral, but thought i'd let you guys know..

-Chris Y.

·
8,107 Posts
VTEC.NET doesn't mention a 6 speed manual, where did you see that? They mention a 6 disk changer, that's it.

Originally posted by Chris Y:
Have you guys heard the news? Off of the vtec.net website the new Acura TL Type-S with the Cl Type-S engine is coming out next year... It's gonna have 260HP and a 6-spd manual and a restyled front and rear end. Hopefully Lexus takes a hint and increases power somehow, or its gonna have a hard time keeping up...Oh yea, this isn't meant to start any flame wars, i'm a GS400 owner and am neutral, but thought i'd let you guys know..

-Chris Y.

·
Registered
281 Posts
yo!!
the 6-speed manual will be out in 2003, not next yr...
it will have redesigned headlights, tailights, body-colored door handles, and 17" rims..

it will definetely be an IS competitor

late

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
who cares? its still fwd and a honda.

------------------
"the gene pool could
use some chlorine!"
"http://www.shitonhonda.com"-Funny Site!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by IS300GTE:
who cares? its still fwd and a honda.

man..
dont start bashin on hondas...
i've driven a TL and there nice rides...
i mean id rather take an IS, but the TL Type-S is gonna be pretty crajee...260 hp wow!

seriously...
im sick of all these Honda/Acura haters..
i give props to any automobile that deserves to be given there dues...

late

·
Registered
27 Posts
i would only worry about the dreaded torque steer with 260 horses and a 6spd... this is the exact reason i did not even consider saabs.

i mean id rather take an IS, but the TL Type-S is gonna be pretty crajee...260 hp wow!

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's a good thing about Honda, they were able to get rid off the dreaded torque steer. In the CL-S torque steer is nonexistent, and I don't think this should change with an addition of a 6 speed tranny.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree, it looks like it is going to be a pretty sweet car. Acura offers a lot for the money, and the TL-S seems to cover all of the things I did not like about the TL. I hope it has the seats from the CL-S, because they are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in, much better then my GS.

·
Registered
333 Posts
First off, my 225 hp TL has no torque ster, and the CL-S has no torque steer..I doubt the TL-S will have that either.. It will have a 5 speed auto..rumors mentioned a 6 speed auto, and eventually a 6 speed manual, but that's all talk for now...
Ed

------------------
1999 TL Non/Nav, Satin Silver/Ebony, Comptech Springs,Comptech Exhaust, Inspire tails, Air filter, Guy Smiley as my Co-driver...many many more..
1999 Miata Touring, RB springs, Koni adjustables, RB intake, RB roll bar, BBS RV 16x7 on 225/40/16 Sp9000's, Kickin' sound system, soon to have headers and BSP dual exhaust..Click here to see

·
Registered
201 Posts
There's also a rumour from freshalloy.com that the 2002 Maxima will have a 3.5L V6 with 280 HP.
I sure hope that's true. It will be interesting to see these 2 cars duke it out!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi kkambbak9399! You cant dis the TL type S. Im not a Honda/Acura lover, but you cant dis the TL you havent even driven one yet. So you cant say anything about the car!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Nitro Boy:
Hi kkambbak9399! You cant dis the TL type S. Im not a Honda/Acura lover, but you cant dis the TL you havent even driven one yet. So you cant say anything about the car!
Thank you for setting the rules Nitro boy... :p

-Chris Y.

·
8,107 Posts
I still don't know where these 6 speed manual rumors are coming from, Honda never releases info like that 2 years early, and VTEC.net would be the first to mention it if they did. I like the TL and CL, but there's not enough headroom for people over 6'2", so I can't drive it. They're also too big, it's like a foot longer than the IS300.

Originally posted by kkambbak9399:
man..
i've driven a TL and there nice rides...

seriously...
im sick of all these Honda/Acura haters..
i give props to any automobile that deserves to be given there dues...

late

·
8,107 Posts
Most magazines agree that the CL and TL have little torque steer. But the Saab turbos also have no torque steer with automatics, but lots of torque steer and wheel spin with manuals, many articles have mentioned that torque converters minimize torque steer and wheel spin. The Volvo S60 also supposedly has a lot of torque steer with the manual. That's why we think the CL-S won't work with a manual, if they even build it, which I've yet to hear outside of this board.

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
First off, my 225 hp TL has no torque ster, and the CL-S has no torque steer..I doubt the TL-S will have that either.. It will have a 5 speed auto..rumors mentioned a 6 speed auto, and eventually a 6 speed manual, but that's all talk for now...
Ed

·
Registered
333 Posts
No magazine that I have seen said the car has any torque steer.. The recent article on the CLS vs. 330, they said the power was linear, and torque steer was nil. The Saab 9-3 has torque steer, I know from the magazines, and personal experience. As for the TL having a 6 speed, it was mentioned, but no earlier than 2003 as far as I heard..
Ed

------------------
1999 TL Non/Nav, Satin Silver/Ebony, Comptech Springs,Comptech Exhaust, Inspire tails, Air filter, Guy Smiley as my Co-driver...many many more..
1999 Miata Touring, RB springs, Koni adjustables, RB intake, RB roll bar, BBS RV 16x7 on 225/40/16 Sp9000's, Kickin' sound system, soon to have headers and BSP dual exhaust..Click here to see

·
Registered
571 Posts
well, then, if they have a manual option for the tl sedan, it would only make sense if they also offered it for the CL coupe. Manual in your sedan line, but only AT in your sport coupe line does not make sense, and I really haven't heard any news about the CLs having a manual.

But who know, it'd be nice though if they did......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
19 Participants
Shoofin'TL
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing