Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if you guys read the write-up in Car & Driver about the new Accord V-6 6 Speed. They tested it in the 1/4 pulling a 14.5 @ 98mph. I know those #s are fairly close to the IS......but then again, it's front wheel drive.....where's the fun in that ? :crazy:

Just saw it and thought i'd let you guys know

Chris

G

·
i don't understand why 1/4 mile times are so important to certain people. it all depends on what you are in the market for. i bought my IS because it was more important for me to buy from a car manufacturer that has a history of building reliable and well built cars, as well as one that has a great service dept (the prestige of owning a lexus isn't bad either). if 1/4 mile times are that important for you, there is always the option of turbocharging an engine with great potential... or buy a quick stock car like an STi or something.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
CZAR said:
Yeah but its still FWD and handles like a cow. :lol:
Exactly. I looked at those before I bought my IS. I had the same problem with Acura. Gotta love that IS handling.

·
Registered
106 Posts
mk said:
i don't understand why 1/4 mile times are so important to certain people. it all depends on what you are in the market for. i bought my IS because it was more important for me to buy from a car manufacturer that has a history of building reliable and well built cars, as well as one that has a great service dept (the prestige of owning a lexus isn't bad either). if 1/4 mile times are that important for you, there is always the option of turbocharging an engine with great potential... or buy a quick stock car like an STi or something.
yes i agree completely if you were in the market for speed you wouldn't have to pay 28k for a Honda Accord, you could just get a WRX for less. Or a rsx S or whatever.

·
Registered
209 Posts
mk said:
exactly

·
Registered
680 Posts
not really.
although my wife does have a 2003 Accord V6, and it can hussle. But come on....I don't like PLOWING through corners. The IS300 has a bit of an understeer, but it's FAR more balanced than the Accord.

The Accord V6 Six-speed is worthless without a LSD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's about time Honda/Acura offered the V6 in a manual. I wanted to buy an Accord V6 coupe, but at the time they didn't offer it in a manual. I bought a prelude instead.

·
Premium Member
11,375 Posts
tyson745 said:
accord? :lol: :lol: :lol:
^ wutever he says and laugh :lol: :wink: ... fastest accord can't even beat the most simple f/i IS300 anywhere in the nation... :shame:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
my friend's sister just got one. pretty much every option available too. its extreamly nice. ive raced it too...the IS took it by at least 3 car lengths :)

overall, very nice for a new designed honda

but no competition for lexus

·
Registered
448 Posts
hondas are fast

a manual is300 vs. an auto v6 might be close...but the v6 coupe 6 speed manual will blow away the is300 manual any day.

i've driven both the accord sedan and coupe on numerous occasions and i know how the vehicles very well. however, we're really comparing two vehicles that target different markets. the sedan is really a family sedan with power. it handles well, but due to its larger size and target of hauling a family it doesn't handle as well as the is300.

however, the coupe is another story. the coupe interior blows away the is300, especially if you have the navigation system. the is300 looks out-dated against the accord. the accord coupe seats rock, extremely sporty and supportive.

dynamic performance is another story. the accord being a fwd vehicle with lots of power, there is some torque steer, especially near redline. it's not the type of torque steer you will feel in a nissan, but u can feel it. also, the clutch sucks. it is not linear and makes the vehicle difficult to drive smoothly. as a fwd, there is understeer. not severe but noticeable.

the 6 speed box is great. smooth, with fairly short shifts. it feels a lot better than the is300, but arm rest is too high in the accord and i always hit my elbow on it. i wish i could lift it up and out of the way like in the is300.

the accords are really nice cars and fast too. so don't underestimate them. and yeah they are hondas, but our is300s are still rebadged toyotas. just wait for the new Acura TL. it'll blow you away!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Honda Accord EX V6 with navi would be a real competition to all the near-luxury sports sedans, considering its price and performance and size.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Japcarfan said:
Honda Accord EX V6 with navi would be a real competition to all the near-luxury sports sedans, considering its price and performance and size.

yah, definitely feels like a luxury car inside. if you guys haven't driven them yet, i suggest you all do. also, drive the tsx. that's a nice car too.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I drove a TSX recently, and found it really boring - it's too quiet, too slow, and the controls are too numb. At least in older Hondas you could hear the engine so you felt like you were going fast, even though you weren't. Honda should give up Formula 1 and get into Nascar with the rest of the boat makers.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Re: hondas are fast

atomicbombpinoy said:
... just wait for the new Acura TL. it'll blow you away!
It too will be FWD... it wont even give me an erection. If your interpretation of understeer is "not severe, but noticeable", then you dont need RWD. I need to be able to do power oversteer when I need to.

Good luck in an Accord

1 - 20 of 41 Posts