Lexus IS Forum banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Man, is there a rule book you can get? Or a ref at the track you could consult? That would be my advice. I know nothing about track rules…other than they exist and they are pretty strict for safety purposes.
OK so after a long time on the phone I got to the safety guy. Apparently I can do this for cheap. They stated as long as I can put a piece of 0.025" sheet metal over the hole , i should be good. This does NOT require to be welded, therefore self tapping screews/rivets and some silicone they will call it good!

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
After a long wait its finally here! Tweakd custom harness so i can place aem where passenger airbag was once upon a time.

Ordered january 16th
Delivered june 9th.

Just an idea of how long these guys are backed out. But great work, clean and good quality.

Natural material Body jewelry Creative arts Art Material property

Font Material property Paper Parallel Pattern

On another note , anyone notice the new PHR motor mounts?... ordered...

Product Font Screenshot Machine Engineering

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
That harness looks great. There’s way more wires in the harness, than are on your list. I think I see some of the stock ecu connectors in there too. So it must be a merge-harness set up?

Those mounts are a work of art. Too nice to use.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
That harness looks great. There’s way more wires in the harness, than are on your list. I think I see some of the stock ecu connectors in there too. So it must be a merge-harness set up?

Those mounts are a work of art. Too nice to use.
You are correct. I will be using the aem as a standalone ecu , getting rid of dash, using aem cd7 for display. Still debating on aftermarket AC , but that would have to also be standalone , just like they install in old school cars.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Does anyone know of a standalone fan controller that is variable speed ? Sort of like a hayden controller but something i can attach to a PHR fan setup?

How reliable are the hayden controllers?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Does anyone know of a standalone fan controller that is variable speed ? Sort of like a hayden controller but something i can attach to a PHR fan setup?

How reliable are the hayden controllers?
Let's back up just a second...

Obviously you have an ECT input to your ecu. Perhaps you still have AC and also need the fans to come on when AC is turned on?

Why wouldn't you drive the fans using your ecu?

You can achieve PWM/DC control of your fans with your ecu. You'd need to wire an aux output from your ecu to a solid state relay, supply power to the SSR, and have the SSR run the fans according to your calibrated duty cycle table/map in the ecu.

This arrangement would require:

1 aux output on your ecu
1 50+ amp solid state relay ($75-125)
1 fast response diode ($5)
Optional mechanical relay between power and SSR to prevent the 0.1mA off-state leakage of the SSR

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Let's back up just a second...

Obviously you have an ECT input to your ecu. Perhaps you still have AC and also need the fans to come on when AC is turned on?

Why wouldn't you drive the fans using your ecu?

You can achieve PWM/DC control of your fans with your ecu. You'd need to wire an aux output from your ecu to a solid state relay, supply power to the SSR, and have the SSR run the fans according to your calibrated duty cycle table/map in the ecu.
Well.. when i ordered thebwiring harness, fans were not an option on the website, therefore i assumed it was included... assumed.. shit.. so now i need an output. Since i ordered , the website has been updated with alot of stuff that i asked for. I should have asked about the fan output. I emailed them we will see what they say. This is a "merge" harness so there are still ecu plugs that go into original harness so i need to check that to see if its pinned for fan there. Otherwise im SOL

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Ok heres my resolution:

Cd7 dash and grannas blue tooth kit
I dont need tach or CEL off harness

I will utilize those 2 pins for the fans. SWEET

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If it were me, I'd:

Use one of those aux outputs to control an SSR that drives the fans via duty cycle.
Save one of those aux outputs for some other function (future proofing)
Install a mechanical relay between power and Fan SSR, that gets triggered by the ignition switch so you don't have the 0.1mA battery drain from the SSR (not required if you use a battery-disconnect whenever car is parked for more than a few days).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Do you have a wiring chematic for this? I do controls install and programming so im familiar but my solid state relay understanding may be different as we use universal outputs that can be binary or analog(0-10v and 4-20ma and dry contact or switched 24v Automated logic controls.)

What ssr would you recommend and this sounds like the route i want to go. Thank you for the awesome advice.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
See post #151 here for the parts: _Zaclemore's Build Thread

It is regarding PWM/DC fuel pump control, but the concept is exactly the same. Just choose an SSR with suitable current rating, and triggering requirements that jive with your ECU outputs.

Regarding a wiring diagram, here is the basic arrangement (the diagram on left is configured for the SSR to switch-to-ground (low side driver) while the diagram on right is switch-to-power (high side driver)....You can configure it either way:

*Note that motors are inductive loads and you'll need to diode-suppress the SSR...which basically means when the SSR opens the circuit, the motor will still be turning, and will become a generator - that power must be prevented from back-feeding into the SSR...post #151 that I've linked to above points out suitable fast-response diodes for this purpose.

I'm not quite sure why, but most (but certainly not all) automotive relays and drivers are configured to switch-to-ground. I usually try to do the same - figuring the automotive electrical engineers have some good reason for it.

You can do the same on the input side of the SSR also... You can either:

1. Ground terminal 4 to chassis, wire your ECU aux ouput to terminal 3 and configure your ECU to switch the aux output "high" (connects to power), or
2. Provide ignition-switched power to terminal 3, wire your ECU aux ouput to terminal 4 and configure the aux output "low" (connects to ground)

Either way, the circuit is open until the ECU aux output closes it - the only difference is whether the break in the circuit is on the positive or negative side of the circuit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Looking into suspension purchase today. I was wanting to go with the BC Coils ER Series. was thinking 10k/12k , should I go softer? I am more for traction/performance than comfort.

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
380 Posts
That should squat nicely, you might want to go a little stiffer up front, +2k or so. The dampening adjustment on the coilover makes it harder or softer so you can dial it in from there. My setup is pretty comfortable while the springrates are stiffer than off the shelf.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
That should squat nicely, you might want to go a little stiffer up front, +2k or so. The dampening adjustment on the coilover makes it harder or softer so you can dial it in from there. My setup is pretty comfortable while the springrates are stiffer than off the shelf.
Well, turns out BC will not warranty with 10k/8k , i was advised upon ordering.. so i am going to order the 10k/12k and swap springs, then if i have an issue ill swap em back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Alloy wheel Rim

Glasses Automotive tire Tire Wheel Alloy wheel

Plant Automotive tire Helmet Artifact Grey

Automotive tire Wood Snout Sculpture Circle

Automotive tire Wheel Tire Rim Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle part Wood Alloy wheel

Household hardware Automotive wheel system Rim Auto part Metal

Glasses Head Eye Vision care Sunglasses

Automotive tire Wheel Blue Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Eye Eyelash Automotive tire Vision care Grey

Photo dump. Got the head back and ported. Exhaust is smoothed with stone and intake is left with a semi rough finish. I am aware some people may think rough is bad... however the idea is to get your air/fuel to tumble and get that venturi your looking for. Throat still needs to be open, shooting for 88% . I may end up polishing to 80grit , if i feel it needs it.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts