Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my IS to Lake Tahoe last week and shocking thing happend to me. My IS just spinning but not moving. Even Civic or Corrolla can get out of parking lot w/o tire chain but my car wouldn't. Then i had to install tire chain but i couldnt go faster than 20mph because the space between the tire & inner fender liner is too close, the tire chain may destroy ur inner liner & it happended to me

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Let me ask the famous question first... what tires do you have on the car?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
If you have summer tires, it's no wonder. With summer tires on, I can't even get out of a plowed driveway.

And don't blame the car, any car with summer tires would get stuck. Those Civics and Corollas, in addition to being FWD cars, most likely had all-season tires which gave them marginal snow traction.

Get four-season tires for the winter, or if you go to ski areas a lot, a set of snow tires. I personally use Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 in the winter and have no problem driving that car in the snow.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Are some people really that dumb to try and drive on summer tires in snow?

I tried to move my IS one time in the snow with my summers still mounted (waiting for snow tire delivery from Tire Rack), and the car wouldn't budge.

It's not just poor traction driving with summer tires, it's dangerous.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
300hp+rwd = snow tires! :(

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Tire chains.... are you serious? Some people simply lack the understanding to own a rwd sports car with performance tires. For them, civic's and Corolla's are built.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Next time buy an AWD.
Does an AWD stop any faster in the snow on summer tires? Didn't think so.

FWD, RWD, AWD = dangerous with summer tires in snow.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Does an AWD stop any faster in the snow on summer tires? Didn't think so.

FWD, RWD, AWD = dangerous with summer tires in snow.
He needs to get going before he worries about stopping...

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you can afford a 350, you can afford a winter beater...one that goes in the snow and will keep the IS nice and pretty!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
If you can afford a 350, you can afford a winter beater...one that goes in the snow and will keep the IS nice and pretty!
not true at all.. winter tires would be more like it not a car.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
I run Falken Azenis RT-615 tires in the summer....snow or not below 45 degrees theyre just plain dangerous. I use Michelin X-Ice snow tires and its WONDERFUL!

If you want some fancy wheels get them and put your summer tires on them (another set of 18s of course) or 19s and chuck your factory summer tires. THEN a set of snow tires on your stock wheels. OR if your stock wheels are adequate for appearance then get a set of 16" steel wheels and snow tires from tire rack......Either way just spend $900 (or more if you spring for summer wheels and snow tires) on a good winter setup

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Lake tahoe hmmmmmmm god i miss it.

went there in November to our winter house...

RWD + SNOW = fu!

Seriously in now way should RWD cars go up there in the snow. Lake Tahoe doesn't plow much or if ever on some streets. My street all the residents have ATV's with a plow on the front and sand bags on the back.

Winter comes i bring the accord with some chains, even then my wife takes monday off just in case we get snowed in.

D

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Lake tahoe hmmmmmmm god i miss it.

went there in November to our winter house...

RWD + SNOW = fu!

Seriously in now way should RWD cars go up there in the snow. Lake Tahoe doesn't plow much or if ever on some streets. My street all the residents have ATV's with a plow on the front and sand bags on the back.

Winter comes i bring the accord with some chains, even then my wife takes monday off just in case we get snowed in.

D

Winter tires do wonders, trust me on this one, even with RWD IS300.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
i don't doubt that, im just talking about Tahoe conditions. My grandparents built their own house in the late 70s and I have been going there since 81.

My parents live there now, and winter sucks, snow tires are good but there are some conditions where a snow tire isn't going to do the trick. In most back streets an AWD-4 wheel drive, and or suv is ur only way out, even then you have to plow yourself out.

D

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Sooo when i go plowing through 8 inches of standing snow with my IS I'm defying the laws of all that is good and sane?! No. The proper equipment goes a LONG way. Its not the cars fault, its not Lexus' fault, you bought a sports sedan with summer tires and youre suprised it doesnt do will in the snow?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts