Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommate and I are sharing a DSL line with a wireless router....Now How can we share files between each other? thanks

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Which OS are you running?

Assuming Windows 2000 or XP, you need to make an user account on each others machine. Say you log into your machine as Mike, then you need to make an account on your roomates machine called Mike and set permissions. And Vice Versa.

now when you share a folder, he can set it so that "Mike" has permission to view this folder. And you should be all set.

You could also set it up so that "everyone" can see your shared folder, but since you said your on wireless, I STRONGLY discourage that. You have no idea who else might be tapping into your network.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got it setup on win2000......however evertime I try to get files from him it asks for a password? and when he tries to get files from me win98se it works.......thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
GOTTURBO said:
got it setup on win2000......however evertime I try to get files from him it asks for a password? and when he tries to get files from me win98se it works.......thanks
Did you check the permissions?
On his computer,
right click on the shared folder
sharing
permissions

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Yea, thats normal. Use the password that you made when you created the user account. You only will enter it once to ensure a trust relationship between the two computers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
GOTTURBO
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing