Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

i've been a member here for approx 1.5 years and try to constructively contribute whenever possible. i have also received tremendous help from numerous people on this site and have met some great people as well.

however, one thing sticks out as a complete pet peeve here, and that is PM etiquette. i don't know about you but i find it extremely annoying when people don't even have the common courtesy to respond to a simple PM. i mean c'mon, how hard is it? granted, some people here may get quite a few PM's about their new turbo or body kit and find it difficult to respond with detailed information to every requestor. however, for most people out there, is it really that hard? if someone PM's me, it means they have done some research about what i have or what i've posted. in attempt to help out, i reply with as much detail (or point them in the right direction) as possible. they've taken the time to ask me a question, the least i can do is try to help them out with what i know.

so, my point in this post is not to point fingers. i'm not trying to get resonses to my unanswered pm's. i'm also not trying to get a merit badge. i'm just trying to shed some light on what i think is a pretty lame scenario. i'm sure i'm not the only one that feels this way from time to time.

anyway, whatever, i'll get off my soapbox now...

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Be specific.
Be specific.
Be specific.

It is really hard to answer a generic question and many times it will sit until I have the interest in answering a generic question. Here is todays example...

"Hi: I just read your post about Summit Point on the IS300 net. I'm going there for next Friday's day at the track and would be interested in any comments you might have. I have an '03 SportX with e-shift and am just looking to have some fun. Thanks."

What is the question? My comment is - Go have fun. I could go on and on about each turn...or maybe about preparing your car...or my past on/off track excursions. I am not trying to be a prick, but what can I say? Regardless, I will reply and come up with something I THINK THE PERSON IS LOOKING FOR. Lets hope I hit the nail on the head...or the reply will have been a waste of my time.

·
Interior Handling Expert
1,752 Posts
I with ya hoss,

A couple of weeks ago I sold my stock radio and amp here on .net to a fellow member.

The guy was in Alaska. I know he received it because I sent the package with a tracking number but I still wanted to know if everything was ok when it arrived. So I sent him a PM asking him to please reply and let me know if everthing was ok.

Well, it's been about 2 weeks and I still haven't heard a thing from him. How hard is it to just hit reply and write "Everthing arrived ok. Thanks."? :roll:

Oh well...life goes on.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey redline, i see what you mean with something generic like that. although i know when i pm i have a specific question or questions. otherwise i'll just post on the boards.

one other thing that i wouldn't necessarily expect a reply to would be unsolicited sales pm's. example, a guy posts that he's looking or thinking about buying something, i send him a pm offering the product. unless he's asking in the wtb forum i wouldn't necessarily expect a reply (altho i probably would).

hmm, what else, oh, maybe after spending 20 min explaining how to do something and don't even receive a "thank you." pretty ticky tack i know, but it's still lame in my book.

anyway, whatever, i'm not losing sleep over this "issue." just pointing it out... :chill:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I completely agree with hoss on this one too. I've been on here for quite some time as well (as you can see) and it's really a matter of courtesy. It doesn't take you that long to send something like "could you please be more specific?" or "please explain" if you receive PM's that seem vague.

This is especially important when attempting a sale/transaction with another member...what do we need now, an eBay-style rating system next to the dots to measure "karma"? :)

·
Registered
30,476 Posts
MSM MT IS300 said:
craniac24 said:
don't be a prick. the guy makes a point, and desperate for the spotlight, you act like the class clown.
he's right! Craniac that is...

I've NEVER had an issue w/ PM's maybe its HIM that is the problem???

Either way, this doesn't belong in Gen. Disc., send it over to the Parking Lot.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
keep in mind they may not always get your PM's either. some people don't check their inbox all the time. Plus, if you have asked them a question but are posting a topic or they see you asking the same question somewhere else, or the information is being given somehwere else, they may think your question has been answered.

I persoanlly reply to every PM, I'm just trying to say that everyone shouldn't think that just because you don't get a reply doesnt ALWAYS mean that person is being an outright asshole and choosing not to respond. Dont assume the worst.......

·
Registered
349 Posts
10secondIS said:
keep in mind they may not always get your PM's either. some people don't check their inbox all the time. Plus, if you have asked them a question but are posting a topic or they see you asking the same question somewhere else, or the information is being given somehwere else, they may think your question has been answered.

I persoanlly reply to every PM, I'm just trying to say that everyone shouldn't think that just because you don't get a reply doesnt ALWAYS mean that person is being an outright asshole and choosing not to respond. Dont assume the worst.......
That's usually what happens to me. I don't check my inbox and will have a message sitting in there for a few weeks. I still answer them though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah soy, must be me that's the problem :lol: ...not. it's not like i send pointless generic pm's. and it's not like i get brushed off all the time. just some times!

and 10second, i hear what you're saying, but you can tell when someone has read your pm when it moved from your outbox to your sentbox.

again, WHATEVER, i'm over it. just had to vent the other day cuz someone pissed me off...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.