Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some searching around to see what are the things needed for installing a double din or single din lcd screen on my car, and to my understanding i can either use the stock amp to run the stock speakers or get a brand new aftermarket 6x9 speakers and use the headunits amp.(correct me if im wrong). Also that the metra wires are not made for the 2001 models so alittle bit of adjustments have to be made in order to make them work. SO what i wanted to know is if i where to get new speakers to replace the stock rears what are the things i should be watching out for and if you could recommend me some brands and also a price range on how much i should spend on them, it would help alot. And one last thing regarding double din or single din, i know there are soo many different prices and features on this things but for now i aint looking 2 spend more than $500 on a tv 4 the car and i want one now so i was wondering if anyone knew of decent double or single dins around that price. I have found double din DUAL screen for $430 it doesnt have like GPS or w/e but it has the features i want.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the LONG story lol :bigSmile:

·
Registered
232 Posts
just did a full overhaul on my stereo im actually waiting for my subs to come in i went to onlinecarstereo.com they are alot bheaper than retail i did the pioneer d3x and infinity kappa's all the way around i did add an amp for mids though i went with the kicker 350.4 so i didnt have to worry about the harness i just rewired everything anyway check out the site maybe youll be able to get more on your budget
o and my stereo screams now and sounds very good very blean sound id definately recommend the infinitys

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
hmm... i think you're going to have to increase your budget if you really want ICE ;) cuz a brand new doubledin dvd unit will definitly cost way more then $500... well unless you're looking at stuff like jensen or something? or if you go with used units then it's possible. check the for sale forums here, heck i got a kenwood ddx7015 that i'm trying to sell locally for $425.

but as far as your main questions... they can all be answered in the stickies above.

but short answer for you... pretty much have to replace the rears (though a good car audio shop can wire them up with some doing) and ditch the stock amp.
you can keep the front stock components as long as you don't pump huge wattage into them. so if you plan on just using the internal amp on most decks then the front stock components are fine (still not great).

as far as prices go... usually a good doubledin unit runs about $700-1200 brand new retail. if you want navi that obviously is more.
good 6-1/2" components run about $250 and higher. though you can get decent coaxials for the rears for $100.
go check out cruntchfield.com for prices or even amazon.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts