Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some of you that have seen my wheels you know how dirty the lip is, and its actually suppose to be a bright chrome.

Anyway i need to polish this bitch up, im thinking about using a drill attachment and something that will CLEAN the wheels to a shine first.

Any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Need to make your lips shine? Try this... :p

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAAA!!

very funny Crester..very Funny!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Digger08 took over my brain for a second... lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish with great results. You can get it at Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire

Suggest you trying it on a small area before you use it ALL OVER to see if it has any reactions to your wheels.

Viet

·
1,621 Posts
I used Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish with great results. You can get it at Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire

Suggest you trying it on a small area before you use it ALL OVER to see if it has any reactions to your wheels.

Viet
Well you have to make sure that the lip on your wheels are not polished aluminum with a clear coat because the mag polish will strip the clear coat and you will be in trouble! If they are clear coated all you can really do is use your favorite car wax/polish that you would use on your car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good point Thanks for adding that

Viet

Well you have to make sure that the lip on your wheels are not polished aluminum with a clear coat because the mag polish will strip the clear coat and you will be in trouble! If they are clear coated all you can really do is use your favorite car wax/polish that you would use on your car.

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Digger08 took over my brain for a second... lol
WTF!

I just spent 2 weeks Zainoing my wheels for the summer. Thats right 2 weeks!

First I touched up any stone damage with paint then clear coated each touch up. Then I claybared the surfaces.

My L-Tuned are clear coated.

I put on about 6 coats of Z2 inside and out - then sealed with their new sealant.

I then examined the mounting plate on the back of each wheel and wire brushed (Dremel) all of the rust and paint from the back to ensure proper fitment this spring/ Even a paper thin build up can cause balance issues.
I also polished the lugs as well - especially the exposed end caps.

If your lip is cleared, you can use a paint polishing compound and high speed polisher, or Mother power ball. If not cleared, then go at it with Mothers chrome polish and the mother power ball.

You can even try some "Neverdull" fine cotton presoaked wadding (Can Tire). This stuff is a miracle worker. Test it first a small area of the lip.

I would expect at least, an entire summer of maintenance free cleaning on these puppies.

Digger08

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
^^^
now THATS attention to detail!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HAHAHAA!!

Lexuriuz thats funny huh? ironic.

im gonna look into that mothers polish.

When i started to shine the lip up im seeing very small spots all over, and im just polishing them in. so i needed somethat will clean them. i just called Ikon wheels canada, and they said its not plated its machined.

so that mothers thing seems like a good plan.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The passionate pursuit of perfection
:)

WTF!

I just spent 2 weeks Zainoing my wheels for the summer. Thats right 2 weeks!

First I touched up any stone damage with paint then clear coated each touch up. Then I claybared the surfaces.

My L-Tuned are clear coated.

I put on about 6 coats of Z2 inside and out - then sealed with their new sealant.

I then examined the mounting plate on the back of each wheel and wire brushed (Dremel) all of the rust and paint from the back to ensure proper fitment this spring/ Even a paper thin build up can cause balance issues.
I also polished the lugs as well - especially the exposed end caps.

If your lip is cleared, you can use a paint polishing compound and high speed polisher, or Mother power ball. If not cleared, then go at it with Mothers chrome polish and the mother power ball.

You can even try some "Neverdull" fine cotton presoaked wadding (Can Tire). This stuff is a miracle worker. Test it first a small area of the lip.

I would expect at least, an entire summer of maintenance free cleaning on these puppies.

Digger08

1 - 12 of 12 Posts