Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by Risk3233:
"The hardest part will be steep inclines and balancing the clutch and gas while keeping the car still. Do it on a beater becasue if you do it on your new IS, you'll get that pungent aroma of burning clutch material."

Well, now that you've learned how to hold the car on an incline by tickling the clutch- FORGET HOW IT'S DONE. It's Bad for the clutch- that's why you get a funny-burning-clutch smell. Ask any mechanic. Until you figure out how to heel-and-toe just use the parking brake on steep hills.
Now you know...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would wait until January at the earliest before buying a 2002 is. You'll still be able to get the options you want but you won't get analy raped. I think you are getting screwed, just think, you just spent 5K down plus 6K in payemnts per year for 11K total. Now you are going to pay $5K more down for the car. You could have put $15K down on a car and then bought an S4. You can also look at your lease rate as 10K down plus $27,600 in payments for 48 months for a total of 37,600 in payments giving you a total payment of $783 per month.

By the way, an audi S4 would cost you about $600 a month for a 48 month lease with 0 down. Or you could pay $350 for a lease with 10K down.

Personally I would enjoy my 2001 Lexus for the remainder of the lease and then get another car rather than sink a lot more money into the lease that you have.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by JW:
Awww...the 3S-G(T)E and the JZ series are good motors too (there's potential in the UZ, ZZ, and AZ motors as well)! As far as the 4A-GE is concerned, it can be tuned to produce 240 hp from 1.6L at over 10k rpm for the Atlantic racing series using mostly stock internals.
Too bad that configuration isn't the least bit streetable.
I thought it was some what streetable as thats what IS300GTE lead me to believe. Why is it not streetable. If only I can find more info on this engine!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by Altezza:
AE86 is a part of the model code for the Corolla that you are driving. Its used for the Corolla that was made from 1983-1987 (in Japan, don't know if its true with the Corolla sold in the US). It comes with the 4A-GE or the 3A-UE engine. The 4A-GE of course is the more powerful, legendary engine by Toyota. Probably the only good engine Toyota ever made. (The rest is nothing compared to Honda engines, unfortunately.)

I know there was a thread about AE86 somewhere in this forum...

If you're driving the retractable headlamp AE86, its the Toyota Sprinter Trueno in Japan. (The Corolla Levin had flat headlights, but again, I don't know how it was in the US for this model). Its a legendary car too. Recently its popularity has increased thanks to a comic series where this Corolla runs against the newest model cars and win (most of the time).

Many of the car enthusiasts of that day drove this car. It, by the way, is the last generation Corolla which came in RWD. Currently, its THE car to practice driving before entering amateur Sunday races here in Japan. (Its cheap, RWD, under 1000kg and you won't cry over it when you crash it during circuit practice.)

It has tendencies to have understeer, but it's THE car to practice weight transfer. You're lucky, you've started out with the most ideal car to practice driving stick.

Parking brake turn is when you brake hard from however fast you are to around 30-40km/h (20-25mph), throw it into first while hitting the clutch and turning the steering wheel. The weight transfer to the front takes away traction from the rear so if you pull on the parking brake while turning you can lock up the rear wheels and go into a spin. Then you countersteer and adjust your angle, then you release your parking brake a little before you want to end the spin. Adjust your steering wheel and then adjust the gas and release the clutch. Your rear tires are still lacking traction at this point, but after you release the clutch and with enough gas the car will start going forward again.

It needs a little practice to do clean, nice, efficient spin turns. You can overdo the spin or let the tires smoke after the spin on purpose for entertainment. But the tires wear out real fast, don't do it too often.

Why would you want to do this in the first place? Some people just want attention. I'm practicing to drift. And if you get really good at spin turns, you can do 180s in tight places where you would normally have to turn, back up, turn and back up a few times. But I advise you to do this at empty parking lots where there's no people nor cops.
The AE86 came out in '84 for the USDM market. The first year production the car was dubbed the Corolla SR5 and had a pathetic carbuerated 4AC engine with barely 75HP. In '85 the Corolla GTS version came out and this was the USDM's version of the JDM Trueno. In '87 the production of both Corolla GTS and Corolla SR5 were stopped in favor of the FWD version GTS. This would be known as the AE92.

The anime, Intial D, has renewed the AE86's fame. It tells of a tofu delivery boy who races his AE86 in the mountain roads of Akina, Japan and wins against the likes of RX-7 FD, VTEC Civic, R32 Skyline, RX-7 FC, S13, S14, Sil-eighty, etc.

Drifters all around the world know of this car. Its a great car for beginners and pro's and many believe it to be the best drift car. Its affordable, lightweight, strong engine, high revving, great weight distribution, RWD, and even the gear ratios are set up much like a rally car!

One thing about the parking brake turns. ALWAYS remember to keep the clutch DOWN when you have the parking brake pulled UP!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I was an original owner of an AE86 in the mid 80s. I had a 1985 red hatchback that was fully modded for autocross.

I've posted this before, but I'll mention it again.

1985 AE86 Hatchback w/HKS lightened flywheel, HKS clutch, HKS intake cam, HKS exhaust, TRD shocks in front, GAB adj shock in rear, Suspension Tech springs, Addco rear sway bar, Yokohama A008 on stock 14x6 rims for auto-x, Bridestone RE71s on 15x7 ATS stars, Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel. There's a picture of me driving the car in a local auto-x at Club4AG in gallery "8".

Fun car, w/the huge and stiff rear sway, easily tossable especially the rear. Easy to induce torque oversteer and drive rally style.

As for the steep inclines, yeah, if you don't do it right, your clutch won't last very long. Even though you shouldn't do it often, it's a skill you still must know how to execute.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Heh, my first car was an "84" Corolla SR5, & what a car!I bought it for $200. I had it for 6 years, while all my friends went thru about 3 cars each! It was Very reliable. I sold it with 200,000 MILES, & it still had the same trans & engine.It just needed a heater core & a new carb,I sold it for $400.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by Risk3233:

"As for the steep inclines, yeah, if you don't do it right, your clutch won't last very long. Even though you shouldn't do it often, it's a skill you still must know how to execute."

eh, no hu hu brah, but I respectfully disagree. There is NO "RIGHT" WAY to hold your car on a hill using your clutch- it's bad for the clutch no matter how you do it. If you knew how to heel-and-toe you wouldn't be recommending people abuse the clutch like that. Heel-and-toe is the skill you must learn to execute, if you can't heel-and-toe use the hand brake until you learn how to heel-and-toe. I don't mean to be a dick but there's lots of beginners reading this and they need to learn right. I no kid you, brah, ask any mechanic if you don't believe me- you really shouldn't use the clutch to hold your car steady on a hill.

Heel-and-toe will not only help you hold AND launch the car from an incline, it will ALSO allow you to brake hard from high speed AND blip the throttle AS you downshift- ALL AT ONCE! It's a beautiful thing. When you figure out how to do it right it's a real breakthrough in your driving experience. Be good to your clutch.
Just trying to help...

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
it was streetable, but then again, that is a relative term. it used all stock internal parts if i remember correctly (pistons, rods and crank) i think the valve springs were stiffer, and possibly a better oil pump for those 9000 rpm pulls.

Originally posted by LexusIS886:
I thought it was some what streetable as thats what IS300GTE lead me to believe. Why is it not streetable. If only I can find more info on this engine!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.