Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed the deal to trade in my 2001 IS300 for the new 2002 IS with 5 speed and nav system.
Can anyone recommend a driving school n Seattle that is good to learn how to drive a stick shift? I have driven a stick few times before a while ago..but never for a any good length of time.

THanks
Samir

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My advice is to borrow a friends beater car and learn from there.

It's not too hard and since you've done it before, you should be able to pick it up quickly.

The hardest part will be steep inclines and balancing the clutch and gas while keeping the car still. Do it on a beater becasue if you do it on your new IS, you'll get that pungent aroma of burning clutch material.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
was it an even swap? samir..pakistani? em...i dunno its not to hard, just like the e shift just use the cluth before you switch gears

·
11,062 Posts
Ha HA HA...that reminds me of when I moved to England and discovered the only car available was a manual (a Renault 11 hatchback - 5 speed). I'd been driving for YEARS and found myself obliged to pay a driving school for lessons on how to drive! Took 6 lessons because I hadn't ever done it before. Drove that d--mned stick for the entire year. Now I guess I can drive manual...but only with the left hand.

Oh, and yes, if you can't use the driving instructor's car, get an old beater.

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: SeattleSheila ]

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
It took me a day to re-teach myself after not driving a stick in 2 years.
Took me 3 days to get use to doing hills again

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I thought it's like riding a bike...you never forget?

My car (94 Toyota pickup 4x4 w/extra cab) is stick while my wife drives the "manumatic" IS. IMO best of both worlds.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Samir,

What kind of deal did you get for your trade?? Sounds like an awesome idea - hope my IS is in good enough condition.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to put down another 5000 down and now its 599 a month for 36 months. When I originally got my 2001 IS it was 5000 down and 509 a month. the 2001 was a white one and fully loaded with every option available. I only had about 9000 miles on it. But had a few paint scrapes on the back bumper and some on the bottom front bumper. Also there was an impact bubble about the size of a nickel in front windshield. Lexus of Bellevue listed the trade in value of my car at 27000 dollars.

The 2002 I'm getting is Silver, 5speed, with the nav system, all black leather interior, moonroof, spoiler....again fully loaded. The list price on the car they are saying is 36,102.
I know i'm probably not getting the best deal (am I seriously getting anally raped??)
See my credit is only OK..not great...I'm
23 years old.

OK...so I went to a gas station/repair shop and the owner there loaned me his old 86 toyota corolla for 100 bucks for two days (he said thats how much it would cost him to replace his clutch after I was done with it :))
I was driving around all day...stalled twice. And am almost comfortable with it....some of my shifts are still a little jerky....I can even take hills but not as well as I'd like to yet.

Hey so are there any upcoming IS300 meets in the Seattle area anytime soon?

Samir (and I'm Indian)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Old 86 Corolla? Do you mean AE86? Or the year model? If its an AE86, thats the car you want to practice with. Have you mastered heel&toe? How about parking brake turns? You can do so much with a stickshift.

And the IS300's 3L 6 inline will give you more low end torque and smoothness, it will probably be much easier to shift than a Corolla.

I wish Toyota sold 3L version Altezzas. (They sell the Sportcross in 3L, but not the sedan.) But I guess I can live with my 6sp M/T Altezza.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What exactly is heel and toe? And what do you mean by parking brake turns? So far I've only used the parking brake on steep hills and when reversing uphill.

And yes it is an 1986 Corolla. But its kind of sporty looking, two door hatchback with the opening eye type headlights.
Whats an Ae86?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just figured out heel and toe..Never mind! I think I'm gonna concentrate on making sure all my shifts are smooth before trying something like taking a corner with my right foot both on the gas and the brake and downshifting at the same time! For now...I can deal with the little lurch of engine breaking :)
I've got the part about stepping off the gas just enough so that the revs match for a given speed for the next higher gear. Doing that while downshifting is the next thing I will work on.

BTW...I'm supposed to be picking up the 2002 IS on Saturday most likely.

Samir

·
Registered
398 Posts
AE86 is a part of the model code for the Corolla that you are driving. Its used for the Corolla that was made from 1983-1987 (in Japan, don't know if its true with the Corolla sold in the US). It comes with the 4A-GE or the 3A-UE engine. The 4A-GE of course is the more powerful, legendary engine by Toyota. Probably the only good engine Toyota ever made. (The rest is nothing compared to Honda engines, unfortunately.)

I know there was a thread about AE86 somewhere in this forum...

If you're driving the retractable headlamp AE86, its the Toyota Sprinter Trueno in Japan. (The Corolla Levin had flat headlights, but again, I don't know how it was in the US for this model). Its a legendary car too. Recently its popularity has increased thanks to a comic series where this Corolla runs against the newest model cars and win (most of the time).

Many of the car enthusiasts of that day drove this car. It, by the way, is the last generation Corolla which came in RWD. Currently, its THE car to practice driving before entering amateur Sunday races here in Japan. (Its cheap, RWD, under 1000kg and you won't cry over it when you crash it during circuit practice.)

It has tendencies to have understeer, but it's THE car to practice weight transfer. You're lucky, you've started out with the most ideal car to practice driving stick.

Parking brake turn is when you brake hard from however fast you are to around 30-40km/h (20-25mph), throw it into first while hitting the clutch and turning the steering wheel. The weight transfer to the front takes away traction from the rear so if you pull on the parking brake while turning you can lock up the rear wheels and go into a spin. Then you countersteer and adjust your angle, then you release your parking brake a little before you want to end the spin. Adjust your steering wheel and then adjust the gas and release the clutch. Your rear tires are still lacking traction at this point, but after you release the clutch and with enough gas the car will start going forward again.

It needs a little practice to do clean, nice, efficient spin turns. You can overdo the spin or let the tires smoke after the spin on purpose for entertainment. But the tires wear out real fast, don't do it too often.

Why would you want to do this in the first place? Some people just want attention. I'm practicing to drift. And if you get really good at spin turns, you can do 180s in tight places where you would normally have to turn, back up, turn and back up a few times. But I advise you to do this at empty parking lots where there's no people nor cops.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Awww...the 3S-G(T)E and the JZ series are good motors too (there's potential in the UZ, ZZ, and AZ motors as well)! As far as the 4A-GE is concerned, it can be tuned to produce 240 hp from 1.6L at over 10k rpm for the Atlantic racing series using mostly stock internals.
Too bad that configuration isn't the least bit streetable.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Stick is easy you can learn in a day, 5000 down and 509 a month for 36 months is a hell of a deal
ahh your leasing that makes sense hehe

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
sk121_2000:
If you leasing you are getting anally r#ped REALLY bad. IF your purchasing your loan cant be for 36 months (5000 + 36*599) = 28k.
Sentinel

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
599 a month + 5000 down for 36 monts is 26,534. Lexus of Bellevue said that they were only estimating the residual value of the car and expected it to be higher..probably droping my monthly payment down some more.

So say you had an average credit rating what is the most you would pay for a 2002 Silver IS300, with nav system, moonroof, power seats, all black leather interior, and spoiler? Again the list on the car is 36,000 and change.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
sk121_2000 did you trade in a car when you first bought the lexus? if you did its hard to judge the deal you got with out knowing how much you got for it.
Sentinel

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
28 Replies
14 Participants
IS300GTE
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing